New Disneyland Band performing infront of Sleeping Beauty Castle

GiveMeTheMusic

I'm sure they're fine musicians - 90% of which are proly DCI wannabes who have aged out of the Corps and can't move on with their lives. If Main Street is supposed to be "high energy", then I can't wait to see how they re-theme the rest of the area. Will they replace the carriages and buses with new electric-wired modern buses? Do they turn the shops into a modern mall?

If Tomorrowland theming is so bad, how is this any different?

So by this line of thinking, Soundsational should be replaced by a procession of women's suffragettes and Shriners, and Paint the Night should be made up of people carrying torches. You know, so it keeps the theming of Main Street intact.

Californian Elitist

I'm sure they're fine musicians - 90% of which are proly DCI wannabes who have aged out of the Corps and can't move on with their lives. If Main Street is supposed to be "high energy", then I can't wait to see how they re-theme the rest of the area. Will they replace the carriages and buses with new electric-wired modern buses? Do they turn the shops into a modern mall?

If Tomorrowland theming is so bad, how is this any different?

This logic doesn't make sense, and I'm sure you know that.

TP2000

Agree with the rest of what you've said but this is no different to any other performer in the park too. The Dapper Dans and Princesses don't get to wear sunglasses either.

Neither do any other performers at Disneyland. Parade dancers, musicians, singers, characters, Citizens of Buena Vista Street, etc., etc.

The stony faces hiding behind dark shades was exclusive to the members of the old Disneyland Band. I would assume they were so entrenched and so crotchety that their union somehow pushed that allowance through for them years ago, and no one ever had the guts to challenge them on it.

A fresh slate with fresh faces who don't mind smiling and making eye contact with their "guests" sure changed that!

TP2000

So by this line of thinking, Soundsational should be replaced by a procession of women's suffragettes and Shriners, and Paint the Night should be made up of people carrying torches. You know, so it keeps the theming of Main Street intact.

Forget suffragettes, the real fun to be had in small Midwest towns in the early 1900's was with the Temperance Movement. Temperance parades were all the rage, and after the parade the rowdies in the group would get so wound up they would storm the nearest saloon and smash all the wooden beer kegs with axes.

But the average Temperance Parade wasn't much to look at until the barrel smashing began. Here's one in Monnet, Missouri in 1908, actually looking a tad more attractive and prosperous compared to Walt's Marceline, Missouri of the same era.

temperance.jpg

Here's a close up of a typical Temperance Parade float. Note the absence of dark sunglasses on the performers. :cool:
pn_6082_image_pc-extra-09.jpg

Hey kids, doesn't that look like fun?!? But I think Steve Davison might have a hard time finding a good theme song for this parade. For my Disneyland money, I think I'll stick with the new Disneyland Band, thank you. :D

Last edited:

TP2000

Definitely more energy. I like it a lot. I think it's tough to find something wrong with it...

Agreed.

So far the list of things that might be wrong with the new Disneyland Band are, in no particular order:
  • UV Sun Protection concerns
  • Historically inaccurate (see Temperance Parade proposal above as a fix)
  • Too many smiles and not enough blank stares
  • Too much energy
  • Not enough old white guys
FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm an old white guy, who can be cranky. Those are my people. I know them well. ;) But I'm not old or ornery enough to think the modern kids can't do it better. From the videos we've seen, obviously that's the case.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I loved the old Disneyland Band, and would try to catch a show every single time I visited, but have no problem with this change. Will I miss the old band? Definitely, they were amazing musicians and I loved the music. That doesn't change the fact that Disneyland has to change from time to time or it becomes stagnant.

No matter what DL does they'll never please everyone. Remember, dreams come true was the first fireworks show I saw in a Disney park and I don't think they will ever come up with a better show, having said that I was blown away by Disneyland Forever. I don't think the fireworks are as good as Remember but the overall affect is amazing.

Another good example is the Main Street Electrical Parade, it was a huge fan favorite and people have been wanting to see it back at Disneyland but I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone who would now want it back after seeing Paint the Night.

Sometimes change is good, even if that change is replacing something that is already amazing.

corona79

How do you know the smaller acts are going away? Disney never announced they were. The new band has been performing for a whopping two days, today will be the third... Why jump to conclusions so soon?

Why can't Gilligan get off the island?

zzz

The new Year-Round Disneyland College Band is the dumbest idea of the Diamond Anniversary Celebration - so far.
(Yeah, I'm so cynical I can actually believe that there could be even more moronic changes to come)

There was one actual question in that blather - the answer is observation. The first set was in front of, rather than in back of, the train station. The entrance show is gone - period. The first set now serves what purpose, exactly?

Both the entrance show and the castle show featured audience participation. Those chances for kids to dance and sing with characters (both face and fur) are gone. The connection between the band and Main Street, U.S.A. is gone.

Now I know where the guy who invented New Coke is working.

TP2000

The Suffragettes?! That's hysterical. I love it!

The dance bands at Tomorrowland Terrace are always a good show.

DABIGCHEEZ

Agreed.

So far the list of things that might be wrong with the new Disneyland Band are, in no particular order:
  • UV Sun Protection concerns
  • Historically inaccurate (see Temperance Parade proposal above as a fix)
  • Too many smiles and not enough blank stares
  • Too much energy
  • Not enough old white guys
FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm an old white guy, who can be cranky. Those are my people. I know them well. ;) But I'm not old or ornery enough to think the modern kids can't do it better. From the videos we've seen, obviously that's the case.

I am curious after reading through these 2 pages... Which one is your son or daughter? :p

corona79

I'm wondering when @TP2000 is going to apologize for lying. Who first whined about band members wearing "dark sunglasses"? Who then falsely claimed it was brought up by those who aren't fans of the Year-Round Disneyland College Band?
[ignored]

So, let's see what some other observers had to say:

"I had to glance at my pocket schedule to make sure it wasn't the College Band."

"they are essentially the College Band with slightly different tunes and costumes"

"Just no. For the love of all things Disney, they need to go away quickly like Light Magic. I watched them several times today and was totally appalled.
They just don't fit in with the theme of Main Street. Would be more appropriate for a Six Flags park.
Most people within earshot of me were even commenting that they must be a high school or college band."

Last edited:

FerretAfros

It's funny you say that, as I was wondering which member of the old Disneyland Band @corona79 was. Or more likely, which one of the old band's union shop stewards he was, especially after the UV sun protection excuse he threw out. :p
In all fairness, it's not completely unheard of for a marching band at Disneyland to wear sunglasses while simultaneously engaging and entertaining the guests:

The trick is that the performers have to put forth a minimal effort to pretend like they actually want to be there. You know...perform. Crazy thought, right?

The old band seemed like a group that had been put out to pasture. I'm glad that they've finally breathed new life into the group, while also increasing the presence of other musical acts throughout the park. A very good move in my book!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom