Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

hopemax

Wait a second…they might have messed up the messaging…but there is no way physical/medical limitations are not granted accommodations.

Put that one to rest.

This is meant to try to reign in the “unseen”…specifically spectrum disorders. ADHD and psychological conditions.
But that's not what the webpage says. There is no mention of non-developmental disabilities. They could have saved themselves a lot of grief and other guests a lot of anxiety by referring to some procedure for people with other types of disabilities. The failure to do that, leaves what else Disney is expecting / planning to happen open to criticism of "have they considered..."

I would not put it past Disney to assume that they can just direct these people to scooter / wheelchairs and the regular line, and their new exit / re-entry procedure will be sufficient. And be absolutely shocked at the chaos of people in scooters trying to exit around other scooters. People who end up needing to leave the line 2 or 3 times. Solo guests, and other issues.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll tell you what I told Reddit a while back:

It’s 100% the culture of the parks and the management being scared to get even an iota of pushback.

Coming from when I worked attractions at the parks. I’ve had guests get annoyed and mad at me where I would follow printed policy. They would ask for my supervisor, and 9 times out of 10, the supervisor would accommodate them anyway.

To elaborate further, the printed policy can be right in front of a guests face and they will still complain. And it’s honestly easier for the venue management to just give into the 5% of guests who will complain then it is to risk a guest negative, because then you can have higher ups question why it even happened, all of this is while they tell us “Remember, these guests paid over $X to be here today.”

To note: this is when I was with Universal and not The Walt Disney Company

There’s no question. Getting screamed at is above everyone’s pay grade

And not only that…the classic Disney mentality is anger is bad for business.
So you put it out as quick
As you can

DisneyHead123

I'm not sure what the solution for the in-queue bathroom break is. There does need to be some way to make sure the people actually were in line to begin with. Many times in the FoP queue 2-4 people shove past (often times without even saying "excuse me" and those might accidentally get a foot tangled with mine) but I never saw them exit. I guess it is possible that somebody needs a lot more fiber in their diet but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were just cutting. That, or had one member of their party get in line an hour earlier and create their own VQ.
That’s what I’m saying, I can’t picture it. Just having people hop in and out as needed sounds like a recipe for some kind of horrible shoving / trampling incident. Having official checkpoints isn’t likely given the ride restructuring that would have to happen. Giving a return time would essentially be another form of DAS. Having CM’s assist would require a ton of people if anyone who wants to leave knows they can hop out of line for a bit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s what I’m saying, I can’t picture it. Just having people hop in and out as needed sounds like a recipe for some kind of horrible shoving / trampling incident. Having official checkpoints isn’t likely given the ride restructuring that would have to happen. Giving a return time would essentially be another form of DAS. Having CM’s assist would require a ton of people if anyone who wants to leave knows they can hop out of line for a bit.
What ride at a Disneypark is “trample worthy”?🤪

Trauma

I wouldn’t mind this if Genie+ wasn’t the worst line skip in all of theme parks.

If I go with my Mom I can’t just pay more to get her on the rides. It’s IF the ride is available and IF it’s available at a time that makes sense.

Of course you don’t really know these answers until after you pay for it.

So now you won’t know if you qualify for DAS until after you buy non-refundable tickets.

Then if you don’t qualify, you won’t know if you can get the rides you want until after you pay for Genie.

This is what happens when you create a terrible system and instead of fixing it, you layer other terrible systems on top of it.

This is so bad it would make me laugh at them if I didn’t already have a trip booked with my Mom.

Maybe I should just cancel everything and sell the DVC.

They can’t get ANYTHING right.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

To be fair…they should have a disclaimer NOT to purchase tickets until the DAS is in place

It would be simple enough…have a computer code or authorization generated that allows cancellation later

I don't disagree that they need to find some way to either allow for tickets to not be purchased until after, or a way to cancel tickets if DAS is denied.

But they tie it to admission as they need to know your arrival date is 30 days out in order to even start the process, which requires having tickets linked (or a hotel reservation for an onsite hotel, but that doesn't work for those that stay offsite). For DLR, where the park reservation system is still in place, that is an additional hurdle as well.

jaklgreen

I hate this so much. For one thing NO ONE should be comfortable with this third party site. Who in their right mind would think that it is OK to give the random autism help site any of their medical information? They are not bound by HIPAA, they can even sell your info if they wanted to because no law prevents it. And what qualifies them to even get this information? It is literally a website that someone started as an Autism resource. How did it morph into "verifying" people's medical information?
Too many people are WAY too trusting with their personal information.
Not to mention that this puts an undue burden on those with medical issues. Many doctors charge to fill out these forms. There are those who are still either in the process of getting a diagnosis or just flat out are not getting the help they need, like my daughter.
And then there are those who have long standing medical issues that they don't see a doctor for but need that bit of extra help that DAS gives.
This is ONLY going to hurt those who truly need it. Those who are willing to scam will easily find a doctor to fill out whatever form they want. SMH

Chi84

Premium Member
I hate this so much. For one thing NO ONE should be comfortable with this third party site. Who in their right mind would think that it is OK to give the random autism help site any of their medical information? They are not bound by HIPAA, they can even sell your info if they wanted to because no law prevents it. And what qualifies them to even get this information? It is literally a website that someone started as an Autism resource. How did it morph into "verifying" people's medical information?
Not to mention that this puts an undue burden on those with medical issues. Many doctors charge to fill out these forms. There are those who are still either in the process of getting a diagnosis or just flat out are not getting the help they need, like my daughter.
And then there are those who have long standing medical issues that they don't see a doctor for but need that bit of extra help that DAS gives.
This is ONLY going to hurt those who truly need it. Those who are willing to scam will easily find a doctor to fill out whatever form they want. SMH
I think you're talking about an entirely different system?

lentesta

Premium Member

I understand that this is upsetting, and change is always uncomfortable.

I would expect that Disney knows the demographics of those most likely to engage in abuse. To paraphrase Ben Kenobi, you are not the droids they're looking for.

I would expect that after the initial and inevitable new-system hiccups are taken care of, the process will not be any harder for you than it has been.

Trauma

I understand that this is upsetting, and change is always uncomfortable.

I would expect that Disney knows the demographics of those most likely to engage in abuse. To paraphrase Ben Kenobi, you are not the droids they're looking for.

I would expect that after the initial and inevitable new-system hiccups are taken care of, the process will not be any harder for you than it has been.
Yeah for people with autism.

What about everyone else who falls outside the boundaries of “development disorder”.

You spend a 24 hour period with my Mom and tell me she doesn’t need DAS.

That’s apparently what Disney is going to tell her.

Disney Glimpses

Yeah for people with autism.

What about everyone else who falls outside the boundaries of “development disorder”.

You spend a 24 hour period with my Mom and tell me she doesn’t need DAS.

That’s apparently what Disney is going to tell her.
What was announced today was only one piece of the puzzle, if I understand it correctly. It sounds like there will be a myriad of accommodations that make sense for each person rather than the blanket accommodation that was provided to all who were approved.

What was announced today was only one piece of the puzzle, if I understand it correctly
It seems that this is an assumption we are all making here. Unless I missed it, the new DAS guidelines don’t say anything like “more to come later” (besides the reference to the “return to queue” system).

Additionally, all of the language chosen is very specific. I’m not sure what kind of reaction they were expecting. Maybe they were just figuring that these changes help more people (those who don’t have disabilities and don’t abuse the DAS system) than they hurt (those who use the DAS system for reasons outside of developmental disabilities).

I hope they provide additional clarity soon.

Gringrinngghost

Oh there’s a simple out here for you. If you don’t feel comfortable with it, then you don’t get DAS. Plain and simple. Disney won’t mind.

Secondly, it appears that they’re using Inspire Health Alliance based out of California who does lab testing under Inspire Diagnosis and mainly does COVID-19 testing. So I have from what I’ve looked into absolutely no idea where from your word salad about them being an autism resource.

Elisa25

I have a specific question - if we have a member who has an illness that requires use of a wheelchair at times, if they can technically wait in the line, but just in a wheelchair, that would not qualify for DAS, correct? Or does it?

Just need clarification before I tell someone.
From my understanding, DAS isn't for mobility purposes. Most rides are wheelchair accessible. If they're not, you go through the exit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom