New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

GSP Guy

Just reading some of the comments here I'm reminded that my wife and I once witnessed two teenage boys run from the exit of Crystal Palace and leap from the top of the stairs clearing them all only to then get on their scooters and drive away. Just an observation.

Patcheslee

I think the “leave and return” policy would hypothetically solve problems for a huge number of people who currently use DAS… the only problem is that I can’t imagine what system they could implement that wouldn’t be an absolute circus. There aren’t natural points throughout most lines to enter and exit, and in addition, once you can easily leave the line you know everyone is going to start doing it like crazy. Kids are bored… time to “go to the bathroom” (and buy a pretzel, watch part of the parade…) That’s just human nature. Even if the re-entry point isn’t any further ahead, it’s still a little break from waiting.
Unless they somehow plan to convert some of the queue switchbacks to exit lanes, it's going to be difficult. I'm tiny and still had issues getting out of lines. Usually consisted of going between railing when possible to have less back and forth.

TrainsOfDisney

Remember when Disney tested the “waiting area” like the dumbo tent and the Rock n Roller coaster courtyard? That was such a good idea - wish that idea could have caught on.

That would be better for regular guests AND solve many of these issues.

jaklgreen

Oh there’s a simple out here for you. If you don’t feel comfortable with it, then you don’t get DAS. Plain and simple. Disney won’t mind.

Secondly, it appears that they’re using Inspire Health Alliance based out of California who does lab testing under Inspire Diagnosis and mainly does COVID-19 testing. So I have from what I’ve looked into absolutely no idea where from your word salad about them being an autism resource.
I was behind on the info and was thinking that they were going to use the same company that Universal does.
I won't be going back to WDW for at least a couple of years. To not get DAS would be the end of my Disney trips. My issues are bathroom related. I need access urgently and frequently. I have been dealing with this for almost 20 years. I didn't go to any of my kids' sporting events because there were no toilets. No taking my kids to the park for the same reason. No road trips for me, no going to the movie theater because I had to get up so often that there is not point. My life literally revolves around a toilet.
The only reason that I can even go anywhere is because airplanes have toilets. WDW was the ONE place that I felt almost normal. I could set up my DAS and hang out by the toilets until my return time. I would go right before I got on the ride and then hightail it to the toilet as soon as I got off of the ride. Even then, I would only go on about 4 rides a day.
There is no way that I would be able to go in and out of the standby line to use the restroom, especially now that I travel solo.
I think that people, like you, that don't have serious medical conditions that completely affect your whole life, just can not comprehend how horrible it is. At times, I feel like I don't want to live like this anymore because my life consists of work and home. I don't do anything else other than my once a year trip to WDW and now I don't have that.

jaklgreen

Agreed, and - Disney should have forseen that this would be a big talking point and have had information prepped for release at the same time.
Maybe they think that people are just faking actually having bathroom issues as an excuse to get DAS and that it won't be really that many people wanting to leave the lines. Boy are they in for a surprise. For a 60 minute wait, I would have to leave at last 3-4 times. Not sure how that would be accomplished as a solo traveler.

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney has to cut down the abuse while still complying with the ADA. Autism is a protected disability and, as other posters have noted, requiring documentation is apparently prohibited by the ADA.

Mobility issues don’t necessarily preclude waiting in line so maybe they will address these in some other way, along with announcing whatever return to line system they’re planning.

Tha Realest

Disney has to cut down the abuse while still complying with the ADA. Autism is a protected disability and, as other posters have noted, requiring documentation is apparently prohibited by the ADA.

Mobility issues don’t necessarily preclude waiting in line so maybe they will address these in some other way, along with announcing whatever return to line system they’re planning.
The lawsuit quoted from a provision involving service animals, not a broad prohibition on asking for documentation.

It seems the data would suggest most of the fraud and abuse falls within the developmental disorder area, and that’s where more rigorous screening will occur?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom