New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

Why not email Disney and ask for a clarification?
Disney is likely being inundated with such questions, and I highly doubt they will answer any of them. It would defeat the purpose of the new system and having the 3rd party involved for them to guarantee something via email right now. My guess is they have a form letter ready to go directing people to the virtual chat.

SamusAranX

I hope you're right. The messaging makes the policy seem way too narrow.
Seems to me the return to queue feature is what will be the “accomodauton” for those with physical and mental disorders that prevent them from standing or being in the same place for too long. So example, if you have a broken ankle with crutches, and you start getting in pain after standing 15 minutes, the return to queue option will allow you to go rest then come back. Just spitballing here

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I was medically diagnosed with ADHD in the mid 2000s and I was prescribed medication for it. I actually at the worst of it, and was at the peak prescribed at the high end of the medication. So there is even under the new rules what appears to be an eligibility for myself since there is proper medical documentation for myself pertaining back 20 years nearly. That all being said, I don’t have a DAS pass and have never applied for one. Hell I do not even buy Genie+, as I find the system to be worthless such as Universals and SeaWorlds programs. I have used both their programs within the scope of saying at a Universal Hotel and/or being a one time thing for my AP at Seaworld (Gold tier at Howl-o-Scream),

But pertaining specifically to the DAS, I also never saw the need or that I found myself to fit their eligibility for one. I was part of a group where members had DAS. Their DAS use case was for the time legitimate reasons, and even then they felt bad for using it even with legitimate reasons.
You were eligible under the retiring system, as well. I know some that had DAS given for ADHD. I appreciate that you didn't twist things just for DAS.

Gringrinngghost

LITERALLY THOUGH like somewhere between "I wish I didn't need this" and that "I bet somebody else needs this even more" like feeling bad for taking pain meds for broken arm because someone has a shattered rib cage or something.
It was more of a "I bet somebody else needs this even more" situation. While I will not disclose without their permission, their medical ailment, I can assure to you that it was medically diagnosed and was actually because of emergency surgery that they had to get. That all being said, they got the DAS once to see how it operated as they work for Universal, and then they also used the knowledge of the DAS pass to tell guests when they quip "...but Disney does it this way" that they were incorrect.

DisneyHead123

I think the “leave and return” policy would hypothetically solve problems for a huge number of people who currently use DAS… the only problem is that I can’t imagine what system they could implement that wouldn’t be an absolute circus. There aren’t natural points throughout most lines to enter and exit, and in addition, once you can easily leave the line you know everyone is going to start doing it like crazy. Kids are bored… time to “go to the bathroom” (and buy a pretzel, watch part of the parade…) That’s just human nature. Even if the re-entry point isn’t any further ahead, it’s still a little break from waiting.

DisneyCane

The problem is bad people.

Toward the end of GAC there was rampant abuse as well and no paid anything causing the push. Yes, we all agree Disney should have been putting in more legit capacity but you know what you are getting into when you decide to go, gaming or abusing the system designed to help people who have a legit need is just gross and there is NOTHING in my mind that excuses that.
"Back in the day" before OG FP, I saw people somewhat frequently who would be walking around and pushing a wheelchair and then get into the chair and get to skip to the wheelchair access point on the old rides that had queues which couldn't accommodate wheelchairs.

Gringrinngghost

You were eligible under the retiring system, as well. I know some that had DAS given for ADHD. I appreciate that you didn't twist things just for DAS.
I’ll be honest, I’ve never found it imperative to even disclose my educational accommodations from it to my University.

Also when I worked in the parks, I’ve had guests with at the time Universal’s Guest Assistance Pass ask for my supervisor because I asked them to wait 5 minutes, because of the policy.

Angel Ariel

"Back in the day" before OG FP, I saw people somewhat frequently who would be walking around and pushing a wheelchair and then get into the chair and get to skip to the wheelchair access point on the old rides that had queues which couldn't accommodate wheelchairs.
Not everyone who requires a wheelchair requires it for every moment of the day.

I hear wheelchair users vent about this often - that they are told they are abusing accessible parking space placards, etc because they have any level of ambulation. No one should be making judgments about people they see for a few seconds while walking around a store, a parking lot, Disney, etc.

Trauma

This just sounds like lawsuit waiting to happen.

Someone who really needs DAS is going to be denied because it’s not a developmental issue.

Then they drop dead in line.

Que the lawyers.

DisneyCane

I think the “leave and return” policy would hypothetically solve problems for a huge number of people who currently use DAS… the only problem is that I can’t imagine what system they could implement that wouldn’t be an absolute circus. There aren’t natural points throughout most lines to enter and exit, and in addition, once you can easily leave the line you know everyone is going to start doing it like crazy. Kids are bored… time to “go to the bathroom” (and buy a pretzel, watch part of the parade…) That’s just human nature. Even if the re-entry point isn’t any further ahead, it’s still a little break from waiting.
I'm not sure what the solution for the in-queue bathroom break is. There does need to be some way to make sure the people actually were in line to begin with. Many times in the FoP queue 2-4 people shove past (often times without even saying "excuse me" and those might accidentally get a foot tangled with mine) but I never saw them exit. I guess it is possible that somebody needs a lot more fiber in their diet but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were just cutting. That, or had one member of their party get in line an hour earlier and create their own VQ.

mlayton144

I see both sides. Bottom line is that categories of disabilities are just about impossible to draw lines for. On the other hand , if Disney accepted diabetes and heart disease as proper inclusions for DAS about 20-30% of the population would qualify which seems extremely excessive . What is also unfair is asking front line CMs to make ANY of these decisions in the park. This should all be evaluated and addressed ahead of time by competent medical staff, 3rd party makes sense so Disney doesn’t have act as a healthcare provider.

el_super

What is also unfair is asking front line CMs to make ANY of these decisions in the park. This should all be evaluated and addressed ahead of time by competent medical staff, 3rd party makes sense so Disney doesn’t have act as a healthcare provider.

If I understand correctly it is still front line CMs making the determination. They will just belong to a separate group/dept than Guest Relations now.

The 3rd party vendor is advising on what decisions to make based on what criteria but I don't believe they are collecting any actual health information. Right?

If this follows as it has in the past, they will ask a series of questions about what a guest can and cannot do or tolerate until the magic decision map points to a viable solution. Sometimes that decision will be DAS and sometimes it will be something else.

If it goes as it has every other time they have retooled this system, after a certain period of time people will learn the magic phrase needed to secure a DAS pass.

There really isn't a whole lot to stop abuse barring a major change to the ADA.

hopemax

Wait a second…they might have messed up the messaging…but there is no way physical/medical limitations are not granted accommodations.

Put that one to rest.

This is meant to try to reign in the “unseen”…specifically spectrum disorders. ADHD and psychological conditions.
But that's not what the webpage says. There is no mention of non-developmental disabilities. They could have saved themselves a lot of grief and other guests a lot of anxiety by referring to some procedure for people with other types of disabilities. The failure to do that, leaves what else Disney is expecting / planning to happen open to criticism of "have they considered..."

I would not put it past Disney to assume that they can just direct these people to scooter / wheelchairs and the regular line, and their new exit / re-entry procedure will be sufficient. And be absolutely shocked at the chaos of people in scooters trying to exit around other scooters. People who end up needing to leave the line 2 or 3 times. Solo guests, and other issues.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll tell you what I told Reddit a while back:

It’s 100% the culture of the parks and the management being scared to get even an iota of pushback.

Coming from when I worked attractions at the parks. I’ve had guests get annoyed and mad at me where I would follow printed policy. They would ask for my supervisor, and 9 times out of 10, the supervisor would accommodate them anyway.

To elaborate further, the printed policy can be right in front of a guests face and they will still complain. And it’s honestly easier for the venue management to just give into the 5% of guests who will complain then it is to risk a guest negative, because then you can have higher ups question why it even happened, all of this is while they tell us “Remember, these guests paid over $X to be here today.”

To note: this is when I was with Universal and not The Walt Disney Company

There’s no question. Getting screamed at is above everyone’s pay grade

And not only that…the classic Disney mentality is anger is bad for business.
So you put it out as quick
As you can

DisneyHead123

I'm not sure what the solution for the in-queue bathroom break is. There does need to be some way to make sure the people actually were in line to begin with. Many times in the FoP queue 2-4 people shove past (often times without even saying "excuse me" and those might accidentally get a foot tangled with mine) but I never saw them exit. I guess it is possible that somebody needs a lot more fiber in their diet but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were just cutting. That, or had one member of their party get in line an hour earlier and create their own VQ.
That’s what I’m saying, I can’t picture it. Just having people hop in and out as needed sounds like a recipe for some kind of horrible shoving / trampling incident. Having official checkpoints isn’t likely given the ride restructuring that would have to happen. Giving a return time would essentially be another form of DAS. Having CM’s assist would require a ton of people if anyone who wants to leave knows they can hop out of line for a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom