More Classy Behavior of Guests at Disney

Ralphlaw

I keep the firearms in the car in the parking lot and another in the room. I keep a pocket knife in the stroller well hidden from Disney security. No way it would be found without tearing down the stroller. Hell, most of the time, the person pushing the stoller isnt even made to go through their body scanners.

Im not going to be defenseless when the inevitable happens. Gotta be prepared nowadays.

"Inevitable"? I'm not from paranoid city, but I guess I would rather take my chances on a one in million or ten million chance that I'll be attacked than live like that. Nothing brings home the magic like a personal arsenal. And let's not even talk accidents or just plain over-reactions to benign threats. Keep your business straight with God, and you don't really fear such things.

Anyhow, reality checkpoint tells us that there is no way that Disney will be banning alcohol anytime soon. And for a touch of historical perspective, understand that the Disneyland Hotel has allowed alcohol for a long time, including during Walt's day from what I understand. Walt's vice was smoking, and that was allowed all over Disneyland. Did his first cancer cells germinate while puffing away in Fantasyland? Perhaps.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
"Inevitable"? I'm not from paranoid city, but I guess I would rather take my chances on a one in million or ten million chance that I'll be attacked than live like that. Nothing brings home the magic like a personal arsenal. And let's not even talk accidents or just plain over-reactions to benign threats. Keep your business straight with God, and you don't really fear such things.

Anyhow, reality checkpoint tells us that there is no way that Disney will be banning alcohol anytime soon. And for a touch of historical perspective, understand that the Disneyland Hotel has allowed alcohol for a long time, including during Walt's day from what I understand. Walt's vice was smoking, and that was allowed all over Disneyland. Did his first cancer cells germinate while puffing away at Fantasyland? Perhaps.

Don't forget the little bit about how a pocket knife is still a weapon which is banned on Disney property, and intentionally concealing it to hide it from security is a one way ticket to being trespassed. Rightfully so.

It's also a shining example of why Disney security is a joke.

Ralphlaw

Don't forget the little bit about how a pocket knife is still a weapon which is banned on Disney property, and intentionally concealing it to hide it from security is a one way ticket to being trespassed.

Exactly, let's risk getting banned from the parks for life because I felt scared enough to bring in a pocket knife that would assuredly be worthless should that one in ten million attack actually occur. Yeah, Isis will be foiled by a pocket knife. Life = risk. Live with it, or barricade yourself.

And how did we end up here after hearing about a drunken stroller incident? Such a path.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Exactly, let's risk getting banned from the parks for life because I felt scared enough to bring in a pocket knife that would assuredly be worthless should that one in ten million attack actually occur. Yeah, Isis will be foiled by a pocket knife. Life = risk. Live with it, or barricade yourself.

And how did we end up here after hearing about a drunken stroller incident? Such a path.

But but the boogie man! Donald might fondle my wife! We have nothing to fear but everything, they're all out to get me!

If you have to carry a weapon every where you go and live in constant fear, are you really actually living at all?

...but I digress.

Ralphlaw

But but the boogie man! Donald might fondle my wife! We have nothing to fear but everything, they're all out to get me!

If you have to carry a weapon every where you go and live in constant fear, are you really actually living at all?

...but I digress.

Indeed, who would you rather have next door to your Disney room: a guy with a gun, or a guy without a gun? I'm all for hunters' rights and the 2nd Amendment, but the chance of an accident, a drunken gun ridden outrage, an overzealous defense to a perceived threat, a housekeeping mishap, or a dozen other oopses scare me far more when weighed against the "protection" that would be offered by the unknown guy in the next room who brought a gun. Put another way, I would far prefer to have a gunless family next door to my room at the Boardwalk. Threats are infinitesimal, but accidents are far more likely.

Chef Mickey

Line forms to the left behind the major shareholders.
No argument there. I never said I would get it changed....it's not going to change because of profit as I've said multiple times. If something happens like the alligator incident, it will happen faster than you can believe.

rob0519

I keep the firearms in the car in the parking lot and another in the room. I keep a pocket knife in the stroller well hidden from Disney security. No way it would be found without tearing down the stroller. Hell, most of the time, the person pushing the stoller isnt even made to go through their body scanners.

Im not going to be defenseless when the inevitable happens. Gotta be prepared nowadays.

Seriously? Let's say the inevitable is a whack job with a bomb strapped to his/her chest or a semi-automatic gun or two. Having some pocket knife buried somewhere in the bowels of your stroller is leaving you pretty much defenseless anyway. Although it might be useful to cut you or some other victim out of any rubble following an explosion.

As far as having the gun in your room, I'm not sure what the current policy is as the resorts. Years ago, the policy was the gun had to be put in a safe at the resort office by security and was not allowed in the room.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A cop told me at the MK that if you get caught with a gun anywhere on property that you "go for a ride". Apparently, Disney has a complete zero tolerance policy in that regard. I'm sure people bring them though. I know when I was a kid we always drove to Disneyworld and didn't fly and my dad kept a gun in the car for the drive to FL and I'm sure had it in there for the whole trip. I'd say a lot of people have them in their cars. One thing I've always been curious about in general though is how a company would react if they were a "gun free zone" and some bad guy started shooting and then some good guy who had snuck his gun in pulled it out and took out the shooter what would happen to the good guy. I don't know if that's ever happened before but I'd say any company would let that slide because that would be a PR nightmare to try and prosecute someone that had stopped an active shooter and at Disneyworld of all places.

I'm sure there are lots of firearms on Disney property, Many in the custody of various federal agents who are required to be armed on and OFF duty, The rest are probably hidden well by their owners.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm sure there are lots of firearms on Disney property, Many in the custody of various federal agents who are required to be armed on and OFF duty, The rest are probably hidden well by their owners.

Hey, if you don't have a bag you can just walk right in. Getting picked to go through the scanner at the TTC is like hitting the lottery. My other half hadn't gone in with a bag before, she was shocked at how they treated us like we didn't even exist. Crazy 180 from her last experience at TTC with a bag.

Raineman

9202C79A-5550-4E05-8E90-F1524BDCBDF7-3262-00000332174A3677.jpeg

Ralphlaw

What is not being mentioned is how the show of force and inspection has a deterrent effect on potential bad behavior. Just having guards and metal detectors will deter the vast majority of people who would be inclined to do something violent, or who would carry a weapon for "protection" but then use it with little or no provocation. Many unstable people wouldn't step foot in a Disney park because they'd be afraid of getting caught with a gun. Yeah, the inspections are less than rigorous, but just having them there surely prevents many gun toters from entering the parks in the first place.

A show of force can thwart many incidents before they happen. That is probably the main goal of our security personnel. Plus, noticing how evasive or nervous some people behave probably has a good security benefit as well. It's impossible to know how many potentially violent and armed people turn around and leave various venues once they see the guards and metal detectors. I would also assume that those guards have a role in turning away drunken jerks from time to time as well, which is what this thread was originally about.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Hey, if you don't have a bag you can just walk right in. Getting picked to go through the scanner at the TTC is like hitting the lottery. My other half hadn't gone in with a bag before, she was shocked at how they treated us like we didn't even exist. Crazy 180 from her last experience at TTC with a bag.
No you have to go through the metal detectors regardless. At EPCOT they have a metal detector line for people with no bags and so does Hollywood Studios. That's the one I always have to go through. I can give the whole stupid spiel about keys and phones and blah, blah, blah from having to do it so much. I even have to go through the one on the sidewalk from BLT to MK. I even have to go through it to get on the monorail at Contemporary and Poly and GF.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
No you have to go through the metal detectors regardless. At EPCOT they have a metal detector line for people with no bags and so does Hollywood Studios. That's the one I always have to go through. I can give the whole stupid spiel about keys and phones and blah, blah, blah from having to do it so much. I even have to go through the one on the sidewalk from BLT to MK. I even have to go through it to get on the monorail at Contemporary and Poly and GF.

I was just at the parks three times last week, and I did not have to go through a metal detector any of those three times.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I was just at the parks three times last week, and I did not have to go through a metal detector any of those three times.
I would kill for that kind of luck! I seriously have to go through those stupid things every single time. My wife has actually been able to avoid them a couple of times but she pretty much always has to do them too.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I would kill for that kind of luck! I seriously have to go through those stupid things every single time. My wife has actually been able to avoid them a couple of times but she pretty much always has to do them too.

I can count on one finger the number of times I've been through the X-ray in the last 4 months at TTC, and I've been there a few times a week most weeks.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You should probably fashion a fake "radiation badge" and put it on the next time you go to WDW. If they ask, tell them you've been randomly picked so many times to go thru the metal detectors that your teeth have started glowing in the dark. Offer to show them if they don't believe you...

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I can count on one finger the number of times I've been through the X-ray in the last 4 months at TTC, and I've been there a few times a week most weeks.
See I never go to the TTC except when we take the kids to Lilo's Playhouse and then go back for the EPCOT monorail to go to La Cellier. Then when we get to EPCOT I get herded through that gate right there at the entrance and they now have 2 metal detectors to go though. The reason I always have to do it at MK is because we are always walking from BLT and it's literally in the middle of the sidewalk and is always manned. I even had to always go through it when it was initially "random". It got to the point that every time I walked in the parks I would see a guard beginning to approach me and I would go "Yes I know. I've been randomly selected to walk through the metal detector" before they could even say anything. LOL! I guess my 5'4 height and Ducktales shirts just make me look so intimidating that they can't help but check me. LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom