More Classy Behavior of Guests at Disney

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

You should probably fashion a fake "radiation badge" and put it on the next time you go to WDW. If they ask, tell them you've been randomly picked so many times to go thru the metal detectors that your teeth have started glowing in the dark. Offer to show them if they don't believe you...
I should get one of those glow in the dark Kylo Ren shirts and tell them I'm even glowing through my clothes. LOL!

bethymouse

I don't know how to do this( stop promoting "Drink Around the World"), but Facebook really advertises "Drink Around the World". It is promoted, even by lanyards that you can buy ( not Disney sponsored though).:eek: Now, Food and Wine has also "spilled over" into Flower and Garden Festival!:eek: Alcohol available everywhere at EPCOT!:jawdrop:

rob0519

I don't know how to do this( stop promoting "Drink Around the World"), but Facebook really advertises "Drink Around the World". It is promoted, even by lanyards that you can buy ( not Disney sponsored though).:eek: Now, Food and Wine has also "spilled over" into Flower and Garden Festival!:eek: Alcohol available everywhere at EPCOT!:jawdrop:

But...but... alcohol is highly profitable for Disney and demanded by the many customers! What harm could there be?

Drinking around the World is considered binge drinking.
"The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which conducts the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), defines binge drinking as 5 or more alcoholic drinks for males or 4 or more alcoholic drinks for females on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on at least 1 day in the past month."

From the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Alcohol-Related Deaths:
  • An estimated 88,0009 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the fourth leading preventable cause of death in the United States.
  • In 2014, alcohol-impaired driving fatalities accounted for 9,967 deaths (31 percent of overall driving fatalities).
Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD) in the United States:
  • Adults (ages 18+): According to the 2015 NSDUH, 15.1 million adults ages 18 and older (6.2 percent of this age group) had AUD. This includes 9.8 million men3 (8.4 percent of men in this age group) and 5.3 million women3 (4.2 percent of women in this age group).
    • About 1.3 million adults received treatment for AUD at a specialized facility in 2015 (8.3 percent of adults who needed treatment). This included 898,000 men (8.8 percent of men who needed treatment) and 417,000 women (7.5 percent of women who needed treatment).
  • Youth (ages 12–17): According to the 2015 NSDUH, an estimated 623,000 adolescents ages 12–17 (2.5 percent of this age group) had AUD. This number includes 298,000 males (2.3 percent of males in this age group) and 325,000 females (2.7 percent of females in this age group7).
  • An estimated 37,000 adolescents (22,000 males and 15,000 females) received treatment for an alcohol problem in a specialized facility in 2015

jaklgreen

Can't really blame Disney for selling alcohol. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Why is it that some people can enjoy 1 or 2 drinks and stop there or (wait for it...) NOT drink at all during a family vacation, and some just "have" to have alcohol? For all of you that say they need to have a drink and they would sneak it in if Disney did not sell it, why can't you go without it? That is the real question. I can understand enjoying an adult beverage from time to time, but feeling like you "need" to have on on your trip to WDW smacks of an alcohol problem. Like I said, I have no issues with anyone having a drink but to feel like you have to have one is an issue.

Last edited:

Sonic Sunglasses

I don't know how to do this( stop promoting "Drink Around the World"), but Facebook really advertises "Drink Around the World". It is promoted, even by lanyards that you can buy ( not Disney sponsored though).:eek:
I've seen that too, and it's really quite a silly thing to promote. I could probably manage to drink my way around the World Showcase, but only if you gave me a week to do it. :rolleyes:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Drinking around the World is considered binge drinking.
"The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which conducts the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), defines binge drinking as 5 or more alcoholic drinks for males or 4 or more alcoholic drinks for females on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on at least 1 day in the past month."
Sounds a lot like the college I went to...

Ralphlaw

This is one of the sillier statements I've ever seen on this or any forum.

Then prove me wrong. In my experience, the pot smokers who actually can afford a great vacation are somehow getting it paid for by someone else, usually a family member who is not a pot smoker or via someone who originally accumulated that money who did not smoke pot. Again, I have been involved in the court system for more than 25 years, and I have yet to find someone with a marijuana habit who held down a good job and had sufficient money to do something like a Disney vacation. Instead, I see plenty of couch-surfers, leechers off parents, and leechers off wives and girlfriends. The herb-smoking sons of non-herb-smoking business owners might inherit their job or wealth, but such people are often so selfish that a family break at Disney is usually not their vacation destination. Also, most pot-smokers with kids seem to be separated from the other parent, and are often so far behind in child support that they could never make it to Disney. Even Woody Harrelson admitted quitting the habit because it made him emotionally detached.

At a recent court hearing in Green Bay, a guy nailed for a marijuana offense was asked by the Judge: "What do you do all day? Sit around, get high, watch TV, and eat potato chips?" To the defendant's credit, he said, "Yeah, that's pretty much it." Somehow, I don't think guys like that are planning Disney trips.

Again, there are exceptions, but I didn't say "All" pot smokers, just few. 25 years in court has convinced me of this. Again, prove me wrong, and let's also again address the issue at hand of the baby stroller jerk.

Vaughn4380

I keep a pocket knife in the stroller well hidden from Disney security.

You are aware that folding pocket knives with a blade length of three inches or less are allowed in Disney World right? They are not considered weapons under Disney policy. You just toss them in the tray and go through the metal detector. Several posters on this site have reported this and I even confirmed it with Disney Guest Relations prior to our trip last year. There is no need to be sneaky. Should you get caught breaking these rules you will be banned from the parks.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You are aware that folding pocket knives with a blade length of three inches or less are allowed in Disney World right? They are not considered weapons under Disney policy. You just toss them in the tray and go through the metal detector. Several posters on this site have reported this and I even confirmed it with Disney Guest Relations prior to our trip last year. There is no need to be sneaky. Should you get caught breaking these rules you will be banned from the parks.

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 5.01.56 PM.png

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Disney has confirmed folding pocket knives with a three inch blade or less are not considered weapons under the policy you posted. I can provide you the contact in Guest Relations that confirmed this.

I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong, but will point out that they're wildly inconsistent. Can't take a spent shell keychain, or a water gun into the park, but you can take a pocket knife if the blade is under 3".

Vaughn4380

I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong, but will point out that they're wildly inconsistent. Can't take a spent shell keychain, or a water gun into the park, but you can take a pocket knife if the blade is under 3".

Yeah, I read the post about the keychain. All I can offer is that on our two trips last year in June and December, every time I went through the metal detector I placed my spyderco pocket knife in the plastic tray and handed it to the security guard. Only once did they take it out and measure it. Every time they handed it back to me.

I have a previous post that detailed what Guest Relations said, I am trying to find it but search is not working too well.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yeah, I read the post about the keychain. All I can offer is that on our two trips last year in June and December, every time I went through the metal detector I placed my spyderco pocket knife in the plastic tray and handed it to the security guard. Only once did they take it out and measure it. Every time they handed it back to me.

I have a previous post that detailed what Guest Relations said, I am trying to find it but search is not working too well.

I have no problem with anyone taking a pocket knife, if it's not prohibited. In fact, I'll probably start carrying mine. It'll be much simpler getting it out of my pocket than it will removing it from my son's bottle in the bottom of the diaper bag in the bottom of the stroller in the back of the secret compartment I made just so I could carry it. That last part was a joke. :joyfull:

Vaughn4380

I have no problem with anyone taking a pocket knife, if it's not prohibited. In fact, I'll probably start carrying mine.

Glad to hear this info might be helpful. I found my old post from last year:

An update for this thread: Due to the different answers I was finding on the various discussion forums, I sent an email to Disney World's customer service (guest.mail@wdw.disneyonline.com) asking about the policy for pocket knives now that the metal detectors were installed. This past Friday (4/15/16) I received a call from Vicki at Walt Disney World customer service. She said that she was forwarded my email and had contacted the security department directly to get me an answer. The official response from Walt Disney World Security is that small folding pocket knives with a blade length of 3 inches or less are allowable under Disney World policy. Of course this does not change the official "no weapons" policy Disney World has in place, but small folding pocket knives with a blade length of 3 inches or less are not considered weapons by Disney World Security.

I did not ask about any other parks so I would not consider this information to be relevant to those parks, just Disney World.

A previous poster mentioned a security guard using his ID badge to measure a blade, I am guessing the ID badge is around 3 inches long and makes the policy easy to enforce without the need for a ruler. So there you have it, I was impressed Vicki took the time to call rather than respond with some vague email. Hope this helps anyone else with the same question.

There was a pretty good discussion on pocket knives in the thread, hopefully the quote will take you to it. If not I can post a link now that I found it.

Ralphlaw

Hi. Dan here. Nice to meet you.

Congratulations on being an herb smoker who:

1. Is not a leech off his parents.
2. Is not a leech off his wife or girlfriend.
3. Is not living off family money.
4. Is not living off a gift job at a family business.
5. Is not behind in child support.
6. Is not sitting on a couch all day.
7. Is not couch-surfing at the homes of friends and relatives.
8. Is not eating chips all day.
9. Is not emotionally detached.
10. Is not too selfish to plan a great Disney vacation with the family.

Yes, you would be the first, and I congratulate as the exception to so many of the stereotypes that I have been seeing in court since 1991. Meanwhile, those who fit the stereotype outnumber you by about 100 to 1.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom