More Classy Behavior of Guests at Disney

21stamps

I'd be more OK with that than the way it is now at parks. It's too easy to get sloshed and there are too many people around to impact. Hotels are a different story. Much smaller, more contained, and fewer people to disturb. The drunks going from cart to cart at EPCOT during Illuminations are just impossible to get away from.

This is the best way I can explain it-

My last trip I ran into several rude people.. here was the worst- A woman, just before the doors were closing, literally pushed her husband and pre teen kids onto the monorail and then jumped on, pushing past my kid, and 3 of them wedging their way inbetween us. These were not petite people, the woman was physically pressed against me, and I couldn't see my son- who was now pressed near the door. 4 of us sharing the same pole.
Thankfully, there was an older couple sitting down- they got my attention, as I'm sure they could see I was visibly upset, and said "Don't worry we can see him. We won't let him off."

This was leaving MK, so I doubt that the parents were drunk or even had a drink.

A few days later I saw a couple arguing loudly, and the woman was cursing, while at Epcot in the WS. I have no idea if they were drinking, and no idea if they were drunk. I took my kid's hand, got up from the bench we were sitting on, and moved to another spot.

Although it was inappropriate, I was not as bothered by the latter, the situation was easily remedied.

Bad behavior doesn't just come from drinking. I'd much rather move away from someone arguing or get bumped into by someone who may be slightly intoxicated, than deal with an obnoxious woman like I was forced to deal with on the monorail. I think the monorail woman is more common than the drunk peeps that people keep citing as reasons to ban alcohol.

Chef Mickey

This is the best way I can explain it-

My last trip I ran into several rude people.. here was the worst- A woman, just before the doors were closing, literally pushed her husband and pre teen kids onto the monorail and then jumped on, pushing past my kid, and 3 of them wedging their way inbetween us. These were not petite people, the woman was physically pressed against me, and I couldn't see my son- who was now pressed near the door. 4 of us sharing the same pole.
Thankfully, there was an older couple sitting down- they got my attention, as I'm sure they could see I was visibly upset, and said "Don't worry we can see him. We won't let him off."

This was leaving MK, so I doubt that the parents were drunk or even had a drink.

A few days later I saw a couple arguing loudly, and the woman was cursing, while at Epcot in the WS. I have no idea if they were drinking, and no idea if they were drunk. I took my kid's hand, got up from the bench we were sitting on, and moved to another spot.

Although it was inappropriate, I was not as bothered by the latter, the situation was easily remedied.

Bad behavior doesn't just come from drinking. I'd much rather move away from someone arguing or get bumped into by someone who may be slightly intoxicated, than deal with an obnoxious woman like I was forced to deal with on the monorail. I think the monorail woman is more common than the drunk peeps that people keep citing as reasons to ban alcohol.
Agreed, but your point highlights that there are too many idiots to deal with anyway, even when sober. Giving the idiots alcohol makes them unbearable, even if it's only the 1% who can't handle it. The drunks at EPCOT can take over entire sections in viewing illuminations and even ride queues.

WI_WDWfan

Something needs to be done and the problem has existed for years. The worst experience I ever had at Disney was a Saturday night at EPCOT during F&W about three years ago. The crowd was riddled with groups of obnoxious drunks. I felt so sorry for the parents with children. What made matters worse was that the very few uniformed security officers I saw were saying nothing to the troublemakers. I even called Guest Services the next day to complain and ask them to somehow cut down on the drunks or increase security presence.

One major problem is that the CMs working the kiosks and counters are often college students or international program participants who don't have the experience or authority to tell a guest "no, you've had enough". I feel there is a place for alcohol in the parks. However, in the parks they should only serve alcohol in the restaurants and a select number of bars run by real bartenders with overserving training. Even at music festivals or sporting events there aren't bars (kiosks) every 30 feet!

Ralphlaw

As someone who has been loitering around the court system for 26 years, I have the following comments, for what they're worth:

1. If we could wave a magic wand and eradicate alcohol from the Earth, much misery and legal actions could be eliminated. Half the judges, prosecutors and prison guards could be laid-off.

2. Alcohol is not going to be made illegal anytime soon because it is such a huge part of our culture.

3. We talk about the 1% causing problems, but it is probably far less than that. Probably more like 0.01% at Disney (1 in 10,000 drinkers).

4. When someone drinks too much, bartenders have at least a 50/50 chance of seeing it, and are thus able to cut someone off.

5. The profit from alcohol is just a fraction of the financial story. How many families would choose not to go to WDW if alcohol was not available for that one or two people in the family who actually drink? Put another way, how many kids and non-drinkers would never make it to Disney due to the drinkers in the family vetoing the trip?

6. Eliminate alcohol, and you'd probably see an increase in other drugs. Those other drugs are far harder to detect than alcohol. Yet their effects might be far more harmful, especially over the long-term.

7. Few pot smokers have the requisite work ethic to pay for a Disney vacation.

8. How do you stop people from bringing it into their rooms in their luggage? Many will then get firmly toasted by binging before leaving the room, and getting unruly out in public once it kicks in.

9. Jerks exist everywhere, and non-jerks should not be deprived of a nice little part of their vacation because 1 jerk in 9,999 non-jerks overdrank and got stupid.

10. Eventually some drunken Disney guest is going to kill someone, probably on the road while driving somewhere. Sad, tragic, but probably impossible overall to prevent as long as alcohol remains legal in this country.

11. MK, even with Be Our Guest, is pretty much alcohol free. Who can afford to actually get drunk there?

12. My wife and I love a few drinks on vacation, but it will never be a problem for us. I love Moretti's beer on the Boardwalk, Sangria at the Italian Pavilion, Bass Ale with my Fish & Chips in UK, mega beer in Germany, and the rum drinks at the Polynesian. Call me shallow, but if alcohol was completely barred on property, I doubt if we would have bought DVC. Once the kids are grown and gone, a few drinks will be a larger part of our relaxing times at WDW, and that was also a component of our decision to buy into DVC.

Bottom line: Alcohol is here to stay at WDW. Meanwhile, one drunken outburst at WDW should bar that individual for 5 years, at least. Through unfortunate genetics, some people become true idiots when they drink. Bar them after a single incident, and hopefully the problem will be minimized as much as possible. Presumably, at least some potential drunken idiots will know better than to start imbibing in the first place.

Mickey5150

You're having trouble separating tough political issues and private property. Disney's solution is quite simple while immigration is a complicated issue with many, many problems on all sides. I support following the law in all aspects of life and working to change things that are injustices.

I normally don't say anything, but I did not vote for Trump or Hillary.

Nice linear thinking though.
If you support following the law then you should know that alcohol is legal in the United States. I'm not having trouble separating issues, what I'm trying to make you understand is that your attitude is disturbing. You want to punish people for doing something completely within their right because 1 out of 1 million has caused an issue. It doesn't matter if it's private property or not. Drinking alcohol is legal, by the way.

Chef Mickey

If you support following the law then you should know that alcohol is legal in the United States. I'm not having trouble separating issues, what I'm trying to make you understand is that your attitude is disturbing. You want to punish people for doing something completely within their right because 1 out of 1 million has caused an issue. It doesn't matter if it's private property or not. Drinking alcohol is legal, by the way.
So I guess Disney was encroaching on your human rights when they didn't sell alcohol at Magic Kingdom for years?

Nice cherry picking and taking what I said out of context. I mentioned following the law when asked about immigration, a far different subject. There are many examples of legal activity that aren't appropriate at Disney property. I'll let you think about those.

You're confused. Your rights and what might be legal in the US does NOT mean it's OK at Disney Parks. Disney can tell you what to wear, what you can bring in, and yes, if they sell alcohol or let you bring it into their parks. Alcohol being legal has nothing to do with this discussion. I can carry a gun in my state but can't at Disney Parks. I can also walk around with no shirt (legally) but Disney has a dress code.

Furthermore, your 1 in a million stat is not only made up, it's wrong. Many people get wasted at EPCOT in particular and it's often in a noticeable way.

You can disagree with my stance, but don't make it sound like I'm suggesting something that infringes on basic human rights. We are talking about certain rules on private property which are up to Disney.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

So are they violating rights by not allowing guns when guns are expressly allowed within the Constitution? It's in the second amendment if you want to go and read it. By your logic, they have to also allow me to carry there and have no rights as a private company to tell me what I can and can't bring as long as it's something that's not illegal.

21stamps

So are they violating rights by not allowing guns when guns are expressly allowed within the Constitution? It's in the second amendment if you want to go and read it. By your logic, they have to also allow me to carry there and have no rights as a private company to tell me what I can and can't bring as long as it's something that's not illegal.

Wow. Talk about apples and oranges.

You might want to look up gun laws and common restrictions.. having a constitutional right to bear arms has nothing to do with drinking at Disney World.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Wow. Talk about apples and oranges.

You might want to look up gun laws and common restrictions.. having a constitutional right to bear arms has nothing to do with drinking at Disney World.
But you have as much of a Constitutional right to bear arms as you do to drink. If Disney can tell you that you can't bring one, which they can, then they can tell you that you can't bring another. I agree though that it's apples to oranges because more people die by alcohol related accidents each year as opposed to guns. Still companies have a right to say what you can and can't bring though and as long as Disney allows alcohol then people will be drinking it there. Which will be forever.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But you have as much of a Constitutional right to bear arms as you do to drink. If Disney can tell you that you can't bring one, which they can, then they can tell you that you can't bring another. I agree though that it's apples to oranges because more people die by alcohol related accidents each year as opposed to guns. Still companies have a right to say what you can and can't bring though and as long as Disney allows alcohol then people will be drinking it there. Which will be forever.
Disney is just as likely to find a gun in your luggage as they are a bottle of rum...as long as you keep either or both in your resort room, that is. If you try entering the park with either or both, you'll probably get to meet the on-duty chief of security... and maybe even an Orange County Sheriff's Deputy or two.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Disney is just as likely to find a gun in your luggage as they are a bottle of rum...as long as you keep either or both in your resort room, that is. If you try entering the park with either or both, you'll probably get to meet the on-duty chief of security... and maybe even an Orange County Sheriff's Deputy or two.
A cop told me at the MK that if you get caught with a gun anywhere on property that you "go for a ride". Apparently, Disney has a complete zero tolerance policy in that regard. I'm sure people bring them though. I know when I was a kid we always drove to Disneyworld and didn't fly and my dad kept a gun in the car for the drive to FL and I'm sure had it in there for the whole trip. I'd say a lot of people have them in their cars. One thing I've always been curious about in general though is how a company would react if they were a "gun free zone" and some bad guy started shooting and then some good guy who had snuck his gun in pulled it out and took out the shooter what would happen to the good guy. I don't know if that's ever happened before but I'd say any company would let that slide because that would be a PR nightmare to try and prosecute someone that had stopped an active shooter and at Disneyworld of all places.

BigRedDad

This is why alcohol serving should be monitored by Disney. To buy a drink, you scan your park pass or Magic Band. Limit the number of beers/drinks one can have in a calendar day. I know there will be loopholes. I would rather have the loopholes to minimize it. One, people can use their party's pass/MB if they don't drink. Two, many bring their own beverages (me included).

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So I guess Disney was encroaching on your human rights when they didn't sell alcohol at Magic Kingdom for years?

You can disagree with my stance, but don't make it sound like I'm suggesting something that infringes on basic human rights. We are talking about certain rules on private property which are up to Disney.

They already have rules in place and you disagree with their current content and enforcement.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
A cop told me at the MK that if you get caught with a gun anywhere on property that you "go for a ride". Apparently, Disney has a complete zero tolerance policy in that regard. I'm sure people bring them though. I know when I was a kid we always drove to Disneyworld and didn't fly and my dad kept a gun in the car for the drive to FL and I'm sure had it in there for the whole trip. I'd say a lot of people have them in their cars. One thing I've always been curious about in general though is how a company would react if they were a "gun free zone" and some bad guy started shooting and then some good guy who had snuck his gun in pulled it out and took out the shooter what would happen to the good guy. I don't know if that's ever happened before but I'd say any company would let that slide because that would be a PR nightmare to try and prosecute someone that had stopped an active shooter and at Disneyworld of all places.

Ain-t-Skeered-Funny-Unique-JDM-Vinyl-Cool.jpg

suns-out-guns-out-men-s-muscle-t-shirt.jpg

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
WDW is neither a guarantor or a prohibiter of your Constitutional rights....

21stamps

This is why alcohol serving should be monitored by Disney. To buy a drink, you scan your park pass or Magic Band. Limit the number of beers/drinks one can have in a calendar day. I know there will be loopholes. I would rather have the loopholes to minimize it. One, people can use their party's pass/MB if they don't drink. Two, many bring their own beverages (me included).

The problem is - tolerance level.

I'm a total lightweight when it comes to drinking. Depending on the drink depends how many I can have, like most people.
At the JBJB dessert party I had 2.5 gingerbread martinis, I was totally fine.
Almost everyday I had a drink by the pool, another one a few hours later, and an adult coffee at the parks.- totally fine.

One evening we went to a fireworks party at GF, I had 1 drink..some purple concoction, that 1 single drink made me feel a little tipsy.
That 1 drink was my limit that night.
Should everyone be cut off bc I felt tipsy?

What if the limit was 2 or 3, and I ordered 1 or 2 more? I would have been drunk.

The rule would be useless.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Didn't know they had cops driving the busses nowadays ...

Biggen

I keep the firearms in the car in the parking lot and another in the room. I keep a pocket knife in the stroller well hidden from Disney security. No way it would be found without tearing down the stroller. Hell, most of the time, the person pushing the stoller isnt even made to go through their body scanners.

Im not going to be defenseless when the inevitable happens. Gotta be prepared nowadays.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I keep the firearms in the car in the parking lot and another in the room. I keep a pocket knife in the stroller well hidden from Disney security. No way it would be found without tearing down the stroller. Hell, most of the time, the person pushing the stoller isnt even made to go through their body scanners.

Im not going to be defenseless when the inevitable happens. Gotta be prepared nowadays.

While taking 10 minutes to remove knife from stroller, gets shot 17 times...

You'd be better off beating an attacker with a gopro.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom