Missing Mickey Christmas Wreath at Contemporary?

Goofyernmost

It's a wreath. It has no religious connotation. You're reaching.
It's a Christmas wreath, I'm pretty sure that is connected with religion somewhere along the line. But it's not as blatant as some symbols, it still can offend someone.

However, it was stated the there might have been a mechanical reason why it isn't up there this year. Doesn't mean that it isn't a religious symbol. I will admit to a knee jerk reaction without waiting for a maybe more reasonable explanation.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Probably interfered with the installation of the automatic control of the monorail by scrambling the sensor signals so it was dropped in favor of not fixing the sensors.

(It acted as a giant antenna with those ears.....)

Daniel Johnson

I suspect one can blame Political Correctness for the elimination of many things that traditionally we once were able to enjoy. Disney is taking advantage and saving money by eliminating it so no one gets offended. :rolleyes:

As a practicing Pastafarian, I'm highly upset that a depiction of the flying spaghetti monster is not on display. If they could have a national day of "talk like a pirate" in honor of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster on September 19th it would also behoove me. They could even make it a hard ticket event.

tenchikiss

In the latest Disney Monitor it mentions the wreath specifically as things to see around the resorts. I wish I could quote it more specifically but Disney apparently can't find my house anymore and I got this info from my friend's Monitor.

Disneygal1

Well, this is extremely disheartening. Is it just me, or does it seem TWDC is gradually cutting back on the Christmas decorations?

In the mean time, I've posted some pictures for "obsoleted" times sake...

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0312.JPG

Daniel Johnson

Well, this is extremely disheartening. Is it just me, or does it seem TWDC is gradually cutting back on the Christmas decorations?

In the mean time, I've posted some pictures for "obsoleted" times sake...

View attachment 76142

View attachment 76139
Wow. That's beautiful. Friday will be our first Christmas time at disney, and the contemporary ride through is one of my favorite parts...enough I'm willing to pay to park. Its a shame it won't be up.

Monorail Lime

The exterior stairway areas have received quite a bit of much-needed concrete patching and ongoing refurbishment over the past couple of years. Considering the information that suggests this was a last-minute (and most likely non-budgetary) cut, perhaps the support wires for the wreath would have interfered with upcoming necessary work or were found to be causing damage?

Disneygal1

The exterior stairway areas have received quite a bit of much-needed concrete patching and ongoing refurbishment over the past couple of years. Considering the information that suggests this was a last-minute (and most likely non-budgetary) cut, perhaps the support wires for the wreath would have interfered with upcoming necessary work or were found to be causing damage?

Perhaps it will return next year...

Regardless, I find that the lack of this decoration truly hurts the Contemporary, as its decorations for Christmastime are generally flat in comparison to the majority of the deluxe resorts. Heck, it doesn't even have a "main" Christmas tree, unless you count the one outside in the "garden"/parking lot as their main Christmas tree. Does it still exist even? Without the Mickey wreath, in my opinion, it really puts a damper on the decorations at the Contemporary. Thus, making the Contemporary not a "go to" resort during this time of the year.

Little Green Men

Perhaps it will return next year...

Regardless, I find that the lack of this decoration truly hurts the Contemporary, as its decorations for Christmastime are generally flat in comparison to the majority of the deluxe resorts. Heck, it doesn't even have a "main" Christmas tree, unless you count the one outside in the "garden"/parking lot as their main Christmas tree. Does it still exist even? Without the Mickey wreath, in my opinion, it really puts a damper on the decorations at the Contemporary. Thus, making the Contemporary not a "go to" resort during this time of the year.

The tree is there, looking beautiful. http://magicandmemories.wordpress.com/2014/12/08/a-contemporary-looking-christmas-tree-indeed/

Btw the display in the Contemporary is more detailed than some may think and it has pretty unique treats as well. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/...ad-display-debuts-at-the-contemporary-resort/

JillC LI

You may be right. the PC level really bugged me bad with this year's Christmas tree at Epcot. I think I can safely assume each of the tags in French, Spanish, German, Italian etc... are done to represent the countries of the World Showcase, each reads whatever the best translation for Merry Christmas would be in those languages, yet the lone English representation is Happy Holidays. So I guess it's only offensive to say Merry Christmas in English, not in Italian. Buon Natale everyone. I'll abstain from this discussion any further as I do know how these usually go.

That's weird. I'm Jewish and I certainly wouldn't be offended by a tag that said Merry Christmas on a CHRISTMAS tree. It's not a HOLIDAY tree. I am pleased that there are some small references to Hanukah and also to Kwanzaa at Epcot, and I find all the holiday decorations beautiful.

Anyway, as for the OP, it's too bad that the CR wreath is gone. I distinctly recall how pretty it was during our family's first holiday season visit in 2012.

rob0519

I think it has to do with the general upkeep of the CR. We've been fortunate to stay in the CR at least a 15 times in the last 20 years and in my opinion, maintenace, housekeeping and theming of the public areas has been steadily deteriorating for the last 5-8 years. So the disappearance of the wreath really doesn't surprise me. Our next trip will probably see us moving the the GF for the first time. It was good to see that a new GM was appointed for the Contemporary. It was not good to see the person has a financial background rather than one in hospitality management.

dgp602

It's a Christmas wreath, I'm pretty sure that is connected with religion somewhere along the line. But it's not as blatant as some symbols, it still can offend someone.

However, it was stated the there might have been a mechanical reason why it isn't up there this year. Doesn't mean that it isn't a religious symbol. I will admit to a knee jerk reaction without waiting for a maybe more reasonable explanation.
OK, but let's not forget that the wreath in question is shaped like Mickey Mouse, thereby negating anything religious...

So, this leads us back to....why wasn't it put in place? Weather, budget cuts???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom