Marvel Land in DCA?

GiveMeTheMusic

Was told today that exterior work on TOT at DCA will begin ASAP, and before the ride itself actually stops operating (which I was told won't be until November 1 at the earliest so that the attraction can operate during HalloweenTime). We'll see how much detail we get tomorrow and if my orange birdie was right!

Suspirian

I've kinda wondering what this marvel land will look like exactly? Like a generic city similar to IOA or NY (which would be really odd). I trust Joe Rhode so im sure it'll make sense in the long run but I can't really see how this all fits together.

dweezil78

I've kinda wondering what this marvel land will look like exactly? Like a generic city similar to IOA or NY (which would be really odd). I trust Joe Rhode so im sure it'll make sense in the long run but I can't really see how this all fits together.

Well, seeing as how it's currently the backlot area, they could turn it into a Superhero Studios or something to that effect. Not the most exciting idea, but probably better than a generic city.

Phroobar

Sounds like the cheap way out to make it a studios. That way everything is a set and the TOT uglification is just an external shot for a movie. Marvel has so many imaginative locations they could use it is too bad they won't go there. Hopefully it won't be giant pictures of super heroes.

Anyone know why Joe Rohde is working on this project? Isn't he busy working on Avatar land?

Mike S

Sounds like the cheap way out to make it a studios. That way everything is a set and the TOT uglification is just an external shot for a movie. Marvel has so many imaginative locations they could use it is too bad they won't go there. Hopefully it won't be giant pictures of super heroes.

Anyone know why Joe Rohde is working on this project? Isn't he busy working on Avatar land?
Just goes to show how much better Marvel would've been in a third park where they would have had room for little mini areas for each popular hero. I don't mind the giant pictures of superheroes since the aesthetic of jumping into a comic book is what they were going for. I think it works.

D

Deleted member 107043

Just goes to show how much better Marvel would've been in a third park where they would have had room for little mini areas for each popular hero. I don't mind the giant pictures of superheroes since the aesthetic of jumping into a comic book is what they were going for. I think it works.

Sure it would have been better, and so would SW Land, but from a business perspective there's no justification for building a third theme park in Anaheim yet when there's available land that can still be developed within the gates they already have.

Curious Constance

Sure it would have been better, and so would SW Land, but from a business perspective there's no justification for building a third theme park in Anaheim yet when there's available land that can still be developed within the gates they already have.

I don't really see what the benefit to a third park would be. What's the difference between a third park and adding the equivalent to a third park to the existing two parks? They already have the room. Star Wars land is going to be huge.
The two parks are going to be absolutely amazing and have way more than 4 parks in WDW. So what's the difference?

D

Deleted member 107043

Maybe the difference, at least for Marvel, is that there would be more space to fully tell whatever story they want to tell. However, I assume that Disney is satisfied with the available room they currently have otherwise they'd be working with local authorities to build another park to support Marvel.

The other thing to consider is the development period needed to bring a new Disney theme park to Anaheim. If they announced it today it would probably be another 5-7 years before it opened. Disney probably doesn't want to wait that long when they can deliver the IP sooner in the existing parks.

SSG

Maybe the difference, at least for Marvel, is that there would be more space to fully tell whatever story they want to tell. However, I assume that Disney is satisfied with the available room they currently have otherwise they'd be working with local authorities to build another park.

The other thing to consider is the development period needed to bring a new Disney theme park to Anaheim. If they announced it today it would probably be another 5-7 years before it opened. Disney probably doesn't want to wait that long when they can deliver the IP sooner in the existing parks.
Yes, exactly. I keep telling people who demand a 3rd Gate that it's sensible to capitalize on what they own in 2-3 years instead of 7 years down the line.

lazyboy97o

Yes, exactly. I keep telling people who demand a 3rd Gate that it's sensible to capitalize on what they own in 2-3 years instead of 7 years down the line.
This is based on the completely false assumption that attractions must be initiated within some limited time frame. Even with the franchise model Disney has not been that quick to capitalize on Marvel and Lucasfilm (Star Wars). Star Wars at least is a massive project that went through many iterations but after seven years Marvel will make its stateside debut a very quick reworking of an existing attraction.

Phroobar

With current laws and regulations it is harder to open a new park than to add to an existing one. Think of all the new utilities and infrastructure that would be needed. A new land on existing infrastructure is easier and faster and makes a return on investment faster. It took ten years for DCA to be profitable. A new land will be profitable in less than a year.

SSG

Eight months after you posted that question, and you get your wish. The Miceage Update this week explains the focus for Marvel will now be the northern end of Hollywood Land instead of the empty parking lot behind Tower of Terror. http://micechat.com/132030-disneyland-rumor-update-one-disney/

And then @sponono88 was kind enough to show us the map that another website, Mouseinfo, made based on the big Miceage Update this week.
MC%20Update%20Mockup%201080p-X3.png

Marvel Land expansion for DCA is now slated to go into the orange areas shown above, once the new bus loading zones and skybridge over Harbor Blvd. are completed as shown in the purple "Parking Phase 1" and blue and pink walkway and guest access zones above.

It's a really smart way to use that space I think! And opens up a lot of possibilities.

OK, like many of us I’ve been wondering how we get a coherent Marvel area if the rumored plan is to build it going North of Hollywoodland. The main sticking point is we’d have the Guardian’s Tower split off from the rest of the expansion by the Hyperion, which I think most of us agree isn’t going anywhere. So I’m looking at an overhead picture, and what if the plan is to bend Marvel Land around the back of the Hyperion, using the access road behind the Tower and the theater? It seems like there’d be room to do this.
ToT Hperion edit.jpg

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

OK, like many of us I’ve been wondering how we get a coherent Marvel area if the rumored plan is to build it going North of Hollywoodland. The main sticking point is we’d have the Guardian’s Tower split off from the rest of the expansion by the Hyperion, which I think most of us agree isn’t going anywhere. So I’m looking at an overhead pictured, and what if the plan is to bend Marvel Land around the back of the Hyperion, using the access road behind the Tower and the theater? It seems like there’d be room to do this.View attachment 155887

Possible. I have no inside info on this, but if the Great Mickey Ride is destined for DCA I think the northern Hollywood plot would be the only place to put the huge building, relegating Marvel to its previous site behind TOT.

Travel Junkie

It would be really cool if Hollywoodland became a tribute to traditional animation. The Mickey Ride, relocate Roger Rabbit (I know less than 1% chance they would do that) and do some place making that would blend in with Buena Vista St and Animation Academy. Then Marvel could go in behind the Guardian Tower.

D

Deleted member 107043

OK, like many of us I’ve been wondering how we get a coherent Marvel area if the rumored plan is to build it going North of Hollywoodland. The main sticking point is we’d have the Guardian’s Tower split off from the rest of the expansion by the Hyperion, which I think most of us agree isn’t going anywhere. So I’m looking at an overhead picture, and what if the plan is to bend Marvel Land around the back of the Hyperion, using the access road behind the Tower and the theater? It seems like there’d be room to do this.View attachment 155887

Interesting idea. Let me be the first to say that the Marvel expansion into the transportation hub sounds a bit fishy. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom