Marvel Land in DCA?

Kman101

Parks are always going to use similar ride systems to each other. I want unique things, too, but to me that's not really "copying". A ride system is fair game. So, say, because Disney has boat rides, Universal can't?

lazyboy97o

Bush Garden's Curse of Dark Kastle was made before Universal's Spider-Man attraction remember so Disney could make a ride using the same technology as them.
Curse of DarKastle opened six years after The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. What though does that have to do with what I said?

jensenrick

So aaaaanyway- when is this alleged D23 announcement?

I'd sure like to hear about what Disney might actually DO with Marvel, instead of another fun round of "Let's Beat Dead Horses!!"

Gaston's gal

This potential announcement at D23 makes me even more excited about August! I love to hear what creative ideas are coming to the parks. Now if it could just come true....

Californian Elitist

This potential announcement at D23 makes me even more excited about August! I love to hear what creative ideas are coming to the parks. Now if it could just come true....

That's usually the problem...attractions coming to fruition. Disney has come up with a lot of really cool concepts for lands and attractions in the past, but some of the ideas never come to life, i.e. Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition, Discovery Bay, etc. That's what sucks. Even worse that there's concept art.

BrianLo

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201508/4707/

Robert seems to be on a string of saying things very counter to rumours we've heard from some well known sources.

I'm not totally sure who to believe - I'm almost wondering if someone is leaking him false info these days.

Needless to say, I don't follow the logic. There is certainly space at DCA, with recent height test balloons, so clearly space is not the reason. I also don't particularly buy the taxing Disneyland's parking as the issue either, the 5k lot with plans for expansion will certainly add some breathing room. Limiting expansion based on parking seems pretty illogical to me as well.

Dual development to spread R&D costs seems to be WDW's MO... it certainly hasn't stopped every other park from building unique offerings in the past.

GiveMeTheMusic

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201508/4707/

Robert seems to be on a string of saying things very counter to rumours we've heard from some well known sources.

I'm not totally sure who to believe - I'm almost wondering if someone is leaking him false info these days.

Needless to say, I don't follow the logic. There is certainly space at DCA, with recent height test balloons, so clearly space is not the reason. I also don't particularly buy the taxing Disneyland's parking as the issue either, the 5k lot with plans for expansion will certainly add some breathing room. Limiting expansion based on parking seems pretty illogical to me as well.

Dual development to spread R&D costs seems to be WDW's MO... it certainly hasn't stopped every other park from building unique offerings in the past.

Robert doesn't actually appear to have any actual inside information and is going off of speculation simply because Marvel wasn't announced for DCA at D23. On top of that, his speculation is way off.

In reality, the MiceAge update is correct and Marvel Studios/Land or whatever it's going to be called is on its way. Not sure why they decided not to talk about it at D23, but that doesn't mean the project doesn't exist.

TP2000

I read the similar article Mr. Niles had in the Register this weekend. He is just a theme park fan and observer who is making a few educated guesses and extrapolating out a hunch or two into what he thinks might be happening behind closed doors in Burbank, Glendale and Anaheim.

I doubt he's got any sources feeding him anything, really. If he did, he certainly didn't mention them in the article and it reads like just some armchair quarterbacking and an attempt to get visits to his blog.

BrianLo

In reality, the MiceAge update is correct and Marvel Studios/Land or whatever it's going to be called is on its way. Not sure why they decided not to talk about it at D23, but that doesn't mean the project doesn't exist.

This is my assumption as well. I totally understand why they didn't talk about it at D23... they certainly showed enough of their hand to make people very happy, no need to overplay it.

I suspect if MiceAge is to be believed this project has to wait for the garage to be completed to include the current bus roadways, that would actually mean it couldn't really start construction for another two-years and might as well hold off for the 2017 D23. We pretty much know that Star Wars will have visible signs of construction well before that, even if its 'just' closures.

Stevek

This is my assumption as well. I totally understand why they didn't talk about it at D23... they certainly showed enough of their hand to make people very happy, no need to overplay it.

I suspect if MiceAge is to be believed this project has to wait for the garage to be completed to include the current bus roadways, that would actually mean it couldn't really start construction for another two-years and might as well hold off for the 2017 D23. We pretty much know that Star Wars will have visible signs of construction well before that, even if its 'just' closures.
And it could be that Disney wanted to give the Star Wars expansion the spotlight it deserved. Announcing a Marvel Land (though WDW did announce a Toy Story Land) might steal some of the thunder. Gives DL a chance to announce something later on, maybe to cap off the 60th? Could also be that it's just not fleshed out enough and any announcement would be premature.

D

Deleted member 107043

Quite frankly, as a SoCal local, I am more excited about the announcement for a new parking structure. Once they announce that, and commit to a long overdue attempt to improve the Resort's parking infrastructure they can announce whatever new rides they want.

I've read comments like this over and over, and as a visitor I've witnessed some of the traffic congestion related to the crazy parking situation at DLR. Parking may not be as sexy as a big new ride or expansion, but it certainly is something that could greatly improve guest experience.

lazyboy97o

Quite frankly, as a SoCal local, I am more excited about the announcement for a new parking structure. Once they announce that, and commit to a long overdue attempt to improve the Resort's parking infrastructure they can announce whatever new rides they want.
But will it actually be useful by the time it opens? Traffic tends to increase so as to fill capacity.

TP2000

But will it actually be useful by the time it opens? Traffic tends to increase so as to fill capacity.

Sure, demand for Disneyland will only increase in the future, barring some major socio-cultural shift that no one can currently imagine.

If they close the existing 1,200 space Pumbaa lot that is parked via brute force and then serviced by a rag-tag fleet of inefficient city buses and/or a 1 mile walk to the parks in January '16 and turn it into a 5,000 space structure with direct moving-sidewalk access across Harbor Blvd. to the parks that will be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT for 2018. That gains them not just 3,800 spaces, but a vastly improved customer experience.

In addition to the 2,000+ spaces for CM's they have just finished (Harbor/Ball CM lot) or just begun building (Katella CM lot expansion), there would be an additional 6,000 spaces by the time Star Wars Land opens by 2019-20.

Not doing anything is always an option, and TDA has perfected that strategy in the last decade. TDA appears to be changing their parking strategy abruptly now, and I'll take the extra 6,000 spaces by '18 over doing nothing for another decade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom