Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

LongtimeReader

I believe they're just removing the switch tracks. The trolley will remain. They're using the large blue wagon with two horses for the trolley show in the meantime.

Rob562

I believe they're just removing the switch tracks. The trolley will remain. They're using the large blue wagon with two horses for the trolley show in the meantime.

I could see them removing the section of double-track in the middle of Main Street that allows two trolleys to pass each other. Many a time I've seen a stroller get a wheel caught because the person pushing didn't notice the track curving out in front of them.

How often do they run two trolleys nowadays anyway?

-Rob

COProgressFan

If lawsuits over falls were an issue, I doubt they would've *added* tracks to DCA like they did...

-Rob

This. If it is such a safety issue, why would they go out of their way to add tracks in California? Because designers felt it was thematically appropriate.

But as usual, in Florida, "show" always takes a back seat to cramming and moving more people through existing spaces.

The tracks matter.

And, while I'm at it, why would they make a change to the front of the train station? @Sped2424 suggests it will be "noticeable". Seems like an unnecessary project to something that has worked fine for 45 years in Florida and 60 in California. With all the areas needing improvement at WDW, they seem to have an odd sense of priorities in terms of which projects they're doing.

jt04

I was cringing for the dancers in the recent special as they were narrowly missing stepping on the tracks. Really is a safety issue.

Besides you can't really see the tracks anymore due to all the peoples.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I could see them removing the section of double-track in the middle of Main Street that allows two trolleys to pass each other. Many a time I've seen a stroller get a wheel caught because the person pushing didn't notice the track curving out in front of them.

How often do they run two trolleys nowadays anyway?

-Rob

Good question I have not seen the trolleys at WDW in years. But I dont do rope drop either

djkidkaz

I personally think the trolley tracks look really bad, not to mention a tripping hazard, which I've done plenty of times. I think redoing the street and putting in themed pavement to give the look of history and tracks would be better. Something similar to what they do at studios:
image.jpeg

lazyboy97o

I personally think the trolley tracks look really bad, not to mention a tripping hazard, which I've done plenty of times. I think redoing the street and putting in themed pavement to give the look of history and tracks would be better. Something similar to what they do at studios:
View attachment 137923
The whole point of the tracks being like that is to suggest decay and abandonment, not at all qualities of Main Street, USA, as part of Sunset Blvd moving forward in time and towards the abandoned Hollywood Tower Hotel. The streetcar tracks are contemporary, not historic, elements.

FigmentForver96

I was cringing for the dancers in the recent special as they were narrowly missing stepping on the tracks. Really is a safety issue.

Besides you can't really see the tracks anymore due to all the peoples.

And??? Trust me you can still see them when walking down the street.

NearTheEars

Latest Google Earth Imagery as of 2016-03-05. The first three are detailed shots of the finished hub area.

View attachment 137937

View attachment 137938

View attachment 137939

This next one is of the completed mainstreet bypass.

View attachment 137940

Must have been a slow day. Not too many people out for Move it Shake it ...

Also, can anyone point out where the rose garden photo op would be on the new image? I'd like to know which patch of concrete we can reminisce about our engagement on.

Donaldfan1934

Must have been a slow day. Not too many people out for Move it Shake it ...

Also, can anyone point out where the rose garden photo op would be on the new image? I'd like to know which patch of concrete we can reminisce about our engagement on.
Most of the pathway is all grass and trees now, but it was in the upper right hand corner of the hub so you can reminisce there.

Monorail_Red_77

Where do you get these Screen shots??? It's not on google maps or my google earth.

It was on my Google Earth when I zoomed down into the parks. I did notice though that if you click the timeline in the bottom, to look at prior years, etc. You loose the ability to see the most recent 2016 imagery. Not sure why this is happening. Maybe that part of it is not updated yet. But, if you close and reopen you can get back to the current 2016 imagery.

EDIT - As of this morning 4/14 google earth timeline is updated to show the new 2016 imagery as well. Yesterday afternoon it was not there in timeline view.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom