Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

fngoofy

I wish they would redo the color scheme of the castle and in the process add LEDs embedded in the faux bricks. That way the xmas lights would only take a couple of days to install. They'd just have to put on the fringe and they'd be done.

Brad Bishop

I'd like to see the MK castle done more in the style of the DL castle. I think the DL castle looks so much better at Christmas. More tasteful than just a mass of lights on it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe I'm having a hard time envisioning what this would look like. Would the castle essentially just be a giant "LED screen" or is there some component I'm missing? Sorry, for this dumb question :bookworm:
Not that bad I'm glad to say. There was a proposal for LEDs to be fitted in say every sixth "brick" or in the "mortar" line. Not nearly enough to make a visible video image and virtually invisible in daylight. But enough to give a shimmer or strobe effect in any colour all over the facade.

brb1006

Not that bad I'm glad to say. There was a proposal for LEDs to be fitted in say every sixth "brick" or in the "mortar" line. Not nearly enough to make a visible video image and virtually invisible in daylight. But enough to give a shimmer or strobe effect in any colour all over the facade.
I guess this might explain why the Magic Kingdom's projection show at Cinderella Castle looks a bit difficult to see compared to Sleeping Beauty Castle during Disneyland Forever. Then again I'm not an expert on anything related to LED or electricity in general.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I guess this might explain why the Magic Kingdom's projection show at Cinderella Castle looks a bit difficult to see compared to Sleeping Beauty Castle during Disneyland Forever. Then again I'm not an expert on anything related to LED or electricity in general.
They're roughly the same system. Often poor image is due to protector misalignment. They have to be 100% aligned for each show. There's 8 projectors alone for the front of the castle and all 8 need to not be even an 1/8th of a inch out of position. The units are bolted down, but they - or the internals - can move minute amounts. Even aircon vibration can affect them.

Plus they all need to be clean. And the lenses and windows on all units.

Cesar R M

They're roughly the same system. Often poor image is due to protector misalignment. They have to be 100% aligned for each show. There's 8 projectors alone for the front of the castle and all 8 need to not be even an 1/8th of a inch out of position. The units are bolted down, but they - or the internals - can move minute amounts. Even aircon vibration can affect them.

Temperature can deform (expand) the pieces, including glass and metal.
So a perfected aligned project at 0C might look completely out of focus at 32C

JediMasterMatt

Also, WDW's blessing of size has a bit to play in the differences in the way the projection mapping systems work. Since MK's projectors are further away from the castle and because the units have to project onto a much larger surface (Cinderella Castle vs. Sleeping Beauty) the light gets scattered more.

The longer throw distances means more atmosphere the light has to cut through and combined with the frequent humid nights in Florida there is more haze that the light has to cut through.

The real difference is the size of the castle though. More surface area to illuminate. For a castle almost twice the size of Anaheim, it could use an equivalent increase in lumens (either higher power projectors or more of them).

Forever's projections are nice; but, it's those wonderful search lights that really catch my eye. The moment at beginning of Forever when the 360 degree lightshow forms the diamond in the sky is unmatched.

Why can't Orlando have nice things?

2wVMdzz.jpg

It's a sad testament to how far quality has slipped between the two resorts when last summer I had to ask a DL Cast Member if they left the search lights on behind the Castle until the park closed and she thought I was crazy to ask. #GreatMovieRidesearchlightsforever

Sped2424

Posting a rumor from a friend in the know but I am hearing that the streets over on Main Street USA may get redone in order to remove the trolley tracks divots. This would not spell an end to the trolleys as trackless trolleys similar to the new blue milk truck are being considered as replacements.

Last edited:

Sped2424

Also getting wind that a cosmetic change is going to happen to the front side of the main street train station (The side facing the touch points).

jrhwdw

Posting a rumor but I am hearing that the streets over on Main Street USA may get redone in order to remove the trolley tracks divots in them. This would not spell an end to the trolleys as trackless trolleys similar to the new blue milk truck are being considered.
There was a trackless trolley in the Tencennial Parade. Wonder what ever happened to that? They could use them in parades or a Pre Parade with the trolley dancers.

I think I saw the blue milk truck on twitter the day before ROL was delayed. Was it being used for the Trolley Show? I know there was some work planned for MS USA(which means no Trolley) some days in April, I don't remember which days.

Sped2424

There was a trackless trolley in the Tencennial Parade. Wonder what ever happened to that? They could use them in parades or a Pre Parade with the trolley dancers.

I think I saw the blue milk truck on twitter the day before ROL was delayed. Was it being used for the Trolley Show? I know there was some work planned for MS USA(which means no Trolley) some days in April, I don't remember which days.
That's a good question. I wonder if they will be using the same one? And if there is work planned for MSUSA I wonder if this is the project. all I know is they are going through with this due to guest encounters and complaints about hurting themselves on the divots all throughout the streets.

articos

Posting a rumor from a friend in the know but I am hearing that the streets over on Main Street USA may get redone in order to remove the trolley tracks divots. This would not spell an end to the trolleys as trackless trolleys similar to the new blue milk truck are being considered as replacements.
More details potentially going away. Things like real tracks help bring life to the street scene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom