Jungle Cruise to get holiday overlay

75disney

I guess it sounds nice, but I hate that they start holiday stuff in November. So sick of xmas on everything in November. This year, we have to go in November, and I am already irritated at all the xmas stuff. I seem to be in the minority though, and I can appreciate locals and ap'ers, who go several times a year, really enjoy all the decorations.
I actually like all of the Christmas stuff in Nov. because I can still take the time to enjoy the season. Once the holidays get closer, I am too busy running around trying to get everything done that I don't enjoy the actual holiday. That is one of the reasons why I love to go to Disney for Thanksgiving!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Of all the rides for a Holidays overlay, they pick the tropical cruise...

Why? Has creativity at TWDC really become synonyMouse with awkward puns and garbage backstories? 'The skippers have grown homesick' and so they send mail home - which you get to read!

Really?

I don't want to be a sourpuss now that WDW has a Xmas overlay, which I guess should be applauded. But this sounds like it repeats everything that was so dismal about the attraction next door, a 'Jingle Cruise: Under New Management'.
Of all of the attractions they picked they picked one where a major story element could be changed out seemingly overnight without an disruption to the attractions operation.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Of all of the attractions they picked they picked one where a major story element could be changed out seemingly overnight without an disruption to the attractions operation.
This. Hang some lights in the queue, place some "gifts from home" around, swap out the script for the boats. Overlay done.
Heck, if they're feeling spunky, they can put a Santa hat on one of the guys climbing the tree to get away from the rhino.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
That's great then! The billion-dollar theme park behemoth that bases its creative decisions on what can be done in a single third shift!
Lets hope it's baby steps. See how successful this one is before making any real substantive investments in holiday overlays for other attractions.

(lets also not hold our breaths and wait for them to greenlight more of these for the future)

Bolna

It might be the cheap version of the overlay, but it still is something new. One of the things people (including me) often complain about is that the little things disappear from WDW. This is a little thing. It does not deserve a huge countdown, a million blogs reporting about the first decorations showing up etc. But it sounds neat, adds a little spark and shows some creative thinking. That's why I like it.

Would I prefer that Disney changed it's way, would come out with a new (not obsolete) version of the lights of winter, loads of new free entertainment for the season? Yes, of course. I also don't see this as proof that TDO has made a turn around. But it is a baby step in the right direction.

FigmentsFangirl

I take it this was why the JC was closed for the last month or so ? Just to put up holiday funsihings ? This however ois something I'd like to see as a seasonal thing, not something that will stick around, though I never did see the holiday setup at the HM even though I was at WDW three years ago on 12-19 December

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I take it this was why the JC was closed for the last month or so ? Just to put up holiday funsihings ? This however ois something I'd like to see as a seasonal thing, not something that will stick around, though I never did see the holiday setup at the HM even though I was at WDW three years ago on 12-19 December
I believe that the JC was closed for a regularly scheduled refurb for the last month. It is currently open, and will be between now and whenever the holiday overlay is scheduled to be added.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
You would be wrong. The holiday decorations have not gone up yet. Also there is no Holiday set up at HM in WDW.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No. It had a refurb.

There is no holiday set up for the HM at WDW. There is at DL.

The Empress Lilly

It might be the cheap version of the overlay, but it still is something new. One of the things people (including me) often complain about is that the little things disappear from WDW. This is a little thing. It does not deserve a huge countdown, a million blogs reporting about the first decorations showing up etc. But it sounds neat, adds a little spark and shows some creative thinking. That's why I like it.

Would I prefer that Disney changed it's way, would come out with a new (not obsolete) version of the lights of winter, loads of new free entertainment for the season? Yes, of course. I also don't see this as proof that TDO has made a turn around. But it is a baby step in the right direction.
I don't need any of that. I am modest, a simple overlay makes me happy.

But a fun one, a relevant one. Not one given by the lightbulb above a manager's head when he came up with the nowhere-near-as-clever-as-he-thought 'Jingle Cruise' pun.

Disney should do unashamed lyricism and childlike optimism. The skippers aren't tired of their job, they aren't homesick. That is Disney slagging itself off again, the 'ironic' nineties all over again, when Disney mocked Small World in The Lion King and Hall of Presidents in the Tiki room.

PhilharMagician

And yet, we get this. That means either there has been a change in attitude towards Holiday makeovers, or this particular one is so inexpensive it will barely register on the books.

The Country Bears Holiday overlay was inexpensive. A few decorations and plug in the holiday audio and AA program and off it goes. I am really hoping that there is finally a change towards the holiday makeovers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom