Is the Peoplemover the only futuristic thing in Tomorrowland?

Is the Peoplemover the only futuristic thing in Tomorrowland?

• Total voters

DManRightHere

Apparently, it has been quite a while since you were a kid. I'd have no problem with them switching to electric, but, the speedway needs to stay for kids everywhere.

I don't mean demolish it, I mean make the speedway a smaller footprint by making a 2nd story platform to drive on. There all kinds of different methods they could use for scenery on the inside portions, maybe even interactive. Just trying to think of ways to mKe it more futuristic like. Maybe the new movie will get the creative juices flowing (if it's s hit).

RadiatorSpringsRacer

I understand the need for an attraction LIKE the speedway, but, at least for me, it's boring the way it is now. At Disneyland's, the Autopia is supposed to be a scenic drive, and thus there are actually A) variants in the road, B) things to see as you move along the route, and C) a reason why your car's not that fast. I was shocked when I went on it for the first time and wound up going over rolling rocky hills and a puddle! Meanwhile, all that surrounds you at WDW's version is dozens of square feet of flat concrete (and for that matter, it feels slower too because the track's so freaking big and wide).

What I'm saying is that the concept needs to be plussed.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I don't mean demolish it, I mean make the speedway a smaller footprint by making a 2nd story platform to drive on. There all kinds of different methods they could use for scenery on the inside portions, maybe even interactive. Just trying to think of ways to mKe it more futuristic like. Maybe the new movie will get the creative juices flowing (if it's s hit).

You are correct, I misread your post. sorry about that.

It really doesn't take up that much space now. If memory serves me it was much bigger years ago, but, was cut back for Toontown (or whatever that was called). That was OK, because the speed those things move it would take all day to get around the bigger track.;) Just switching to electric would be a big gain, but, for the sake of the kids they would need to include engine sounds because that is a big part of it for kids. When I was a kid we used to stick baseball cards in the spokes of our bikes so it would make motor sounds. I also remember as a kid, I would have given my left arm for the chance to ride one of those that didn't just spin around in a circle attached to an arm. I reacted because so many grown ups feel that it should just be taken out because they have no interest in it themselves. I think it is extremely important that it remain. It is a part of childhood memory and we have managed to crush enough of those for kids in the name of sophistication.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
WDW's Tomorrowland concept has had a few faults.

First, the idea of tomorrow was also put into EPCOT Center's Future World, so for a while, it could be said that they were both pursuing the same concept.

Second, they decided to leave that idea and go with a retro-future vision, which is fine, if they would have kept up with it. The cool exteriors and lighting aren't really matched by any of the attractions held there now. I think the only one that kept the aesthetic well was the Timekeeper show.

Cmdr_Crimson

The nail in the coffin will be if they Incorporate this little turd from Disney Jr into the TTA as the Show seems to go heavy on using it...
354c9283bf374f569757c2a3aecb37a616b627992dea4a59dad1c29c.jpg

All I'm saying is..If you see this logo change....Were screwed..
158.jpg

DisneyJunkie

As far as the idea of "the future" for Tomorrowland goes, Disney has long ago gotten away from the basics of trying to put in attractions that fully fit the theme of the land. Instead, they're using these areas simply as a means of showcasing their animated film characters (i.e. Stitch's Great Escape, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor) rather than do anything meaningful with the theme of "the future". Tomorrowland Speedway has NEVER belonged in Tomorrowland and it never will. Personally I think it has as much place in a Disney park as Hester & Jester's Dinorama do in Animal Kingdom.....which is, not at all.

imagineer boy

As far as the idea of "the future" for Tomorrowland goes, Disney has long ago gotten away from the basics of trying to put in attractions that fully fit the theme of the land. Instead, they're using these areas simply as a means of showcasing their animated film characters (i.e. Stitch's Great Escape, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor) rather than do anything meaningful with the theme of "the future". Tomorrowland Speedway has NEVER belonged in Tomorrowland and it never will. Personally I think it has as much place in a Disney park as Hester & Jester's Dinorama do in Animal Kingdom.....which is, not at all.

Disney really doesn't care much about cohesive theming in any land anymore. If there's an open space that only slightly fits the them to cram an attraction based off of a marketable franchise, they'll put it there.

Chef Mickey

In my opinion, "Tomorrowland" is sort of the "idea" of tomorrow, not necessarily reflecting rides of tomorrow. I know there are some out of place things, but it definitely looks cool and has some futuristic feeling.

Space Mountain is obviously not technology of tomorrow, but traveling through space on a rocket is fully within theme. Even Buzz lightyear is in theme if you consider fighting enemies in space with laser guns.

Monsters INC might not fit perfectly, but it does have some aspects of monsters running a city power by laughter...something that only could happen in the future.

Stitch isn't an issue with "Tomorrow," it's just a bad ride.

Astro Orbiter, TTA, Carousel of Progress all check out fine. The Speedway takes up too much space and isn't a good attraction, but it gives kids the ability to race around a track safely, somewhat mindful of the future.

BJones82

Don't think I would consider it or anything else in tomorrow land "futuristic"... And I don't think they are meant to be either.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

That speedway is nostalgic for allot of people, that better not change. Unless they want to ditch the Track guides, expand the track and make the cars go at least 50 MPH :)

blueboxdoctor

The problem with the TTA is the new voice over still isn't as good as the one before it. Other than that it seems to be a ride I always find myself going on just to chill (except my last trip there were actually lines for it a couple times which was a little strange).

But overall Tomorrowland is more campy and retro sci-fi future, so I'm good with what is there. Though, yes, the cars do take up a lot of space and I wouldn't care if they left or not. But taking up so much space they may not have anything to put there yet or financially want to do it after the big Fantasyland expansion and renovation (which I wasn't a fan of at first but quickly started to like it, even if I do actually prefer the old Snow White ride compared to the new coaster, which isn't bad but the old ride had a certain amount of charm to it that the new one is lacking).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom