Is the Peoplemover the only futuristic thing in Tomorrowland?

Is the Peoplemover the only futuristic thing in Tomorrowland?

• Total voters

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
I mean, come on.

You've got silly cartoon rides. What do Monsters Inc., Lilo and Stitch or Buzz Lightyear have to do with Tomorrowland? Nothing. In Buzz, you're at war shooting a gun. So much for that peaceful future, eh Walt?

A huge amount of real estate is dedicated to an antique car ride polluting the environment that never made any sense here.

The lovely and charming Carousel of Progress? Rooted in the past. Not entirely irrelevant, though.

Space Mountain may have been futuristic in the space age. These days, this aging attraction is just a dinky roller coaster in the dark. And it is showing its age. It hasn't even been brought up to the standards of Disneyland's and that one was upgraded like a decade ago.

Yet, there's the Peoplemover. There's something that somehow has never been dated. It perfectly exemplifies what Walt was going for with his Tomorrowland at Disneyland. It is the essence of what Tomorrowland and even EPCOT Center Future World are supposed to be about.

Goofyernmost

Who knows if alien types like Stitch or "monsters" aren't part of the future. From the words in the song... Hey, it could happen! Space Mountain could be considered future travel, I'd think. Even the Tomorrowland Raceway is the future for the kids that love to ride them. It's there first taste of driving and driving will probably be their future.

lazyboy97o

Is it really futuristic or just a concept the wider public gave up on? Continuously moving transit was demonstrated at the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. The WEDway PeopleMove itself was first demonstrated in 1967 and one in use at Walt Disney World is not as capable as the original, being unable to handle the grade changes of the original. Then again, EPCOT was based on a then sixty year old idea as well that still remains mostly ignored.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's shirts like this that make me dissapointed how they are presenting Tomorrowland:banghead:
$_57.JPG

Goofyernmost

The first people mover that I ever rode on was at Expo 67 in Montreal. It was completely functional in that it transported people from one area of the fairgrounds to another. It also went right through the middle of the United States Pavilion. Very much like around the edge of Space Mountain, except you could actually see the pavilion. If I remember correctly, and I might not be, it was a long time ago, it stopped at different stations along the way, not a continuous run with a circular load and unload. I'm really not sure about that one, just that I seem to remember that happening.

Matt_Black

It's not a fair question. When first built in 1971 they tried for a real vision of the future. But the future caught up and it looked dated. So it was redesigned in the 90s as a vision of the future from the likes of Jules Verne.

I'd say there's a bit more American pulp, a la Flash Gordon, than Jules Verne, at least for WDW's version of Tomorrowland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom