Is the Peoplemover the only futuristic thing in Tomorrowland?

Is the Peoplemover the only futuristic thing in Tomorrowland?

• Total voters

Otterhead

But overall Tomorrowland is more campy and retro sci-fi future, so I'm good with what is there.
It reflects a very '90s vision of a retro sci-fi future, but that's OK. If they tried to actually make Tomorrowland "futuristic" (like they did when it first opened), it'd look dated almost as soon as it was finished. I actually really like the Jules Verne very-retro-future they use at other Tomorrowlands overseas -- it's pretty much future-proof and always classy.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Why should it be focused on a utopic theme ? Why not instead a dystopic future as show by Wall-E ? That way the Guests could actively participate and there's quite a wide thematic tie in with existing attractions in that area. (not to mention the People Movers with corpulent guests)

FigmentJedi

If it used to be Tomorrowland Indy Speedway, maybe it could become Tomorrowland Formula E Speedway?

Elon Musk likes to spend money. He should sponsor the speedway and replace the gas go carts with electric ones.

There was concept art floating around of a Meet the Robinsons-inspired overhaul that could be pretty sweet. At least that's an animated film that fits Tomorrowland like a glove.

Jahona

There was concept art floating around of a Meet the Robinsons-inspired overhaul that could be pretty sweet. At least that's an animated film that fits Tomorrowland like a glove.

Probably got scrapped when the film underperformed. Disney's attempt to go from 2D to 3D was a rough time.

blueboxdoctor

It reflects a very '90s vision of a retro sci-fi future, but that's OK. If they tried to actually make Tomorrowland "futuristic" (like they did when it first opened), it'd look dated almost as soon as it was finished. I actually really like the Jules Verne very-retro-future they use at other Tomorrowlands overseas -- it's pretty much future-proof and always classy.

True, I've seen some pictures of those and you're right. It isn't tethered to a specific time period's vision of the future. There's a lot they can do with it, so it should be interesting to see how they continue to change it in the future.

imagineer boy

I personally don't think they should 100% do away with the Speedway. They can do either one of two things:

A. Re-theme it with futuristic scenery and electric cars, and rename it to "cosmic highway" or something along those lines.

B. Move it to DHS, put it in Pixar Place, and have it themed to the Cars franchise.

EpcoTim

It's not a fair question. When first built in 1971 they tried for a real vision of the future. But the future caught up and it looked dated. So it was redesigned in the 90s as a vision of the future from the likes of Jules Verne.

I'm pretty sure Verne would soil his grave if he knew that's how people interpreted his work.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I wholeheartedly endorse this proposal.

6b8475454ed8f2afb5c417bef63cd606.jpg

Must everything become a M&G?!

Redsky89

I love the Peoplemover. Its almost a guarantee that I will be on it when I am at Magic Kingdom. I do think Space Mountain is still a very futuristic ride. The concept of flying through space is very futuristic if you ask me. I personally have loved it for the past 16 years I've been visiting WDW. Buzz I consider futuristic. If you watch a lot of the Buzz cartoon shows I watched as a kid Buzz was used in a futuristic setting. I dont care for the Stitch attraction or the go kart attraction though. Unless those go karts start going 35mph I will never care for it.

irishmom58

I mean, come on.

You've got silly cartoon rides. What do Monsters Inc., Lilo and Stitch or Buzz Lightyear have to do with Tomorrowland? Nothing. In Buzz, you're at war shooting a gun. So much for that peaceful future, eh Walt?

A huge amount of real estate is dedicated to an antique car ride polluting the environment that never made any sense here.

The lovely and charming Carousel of Progress? Rooted in the past. Not entirely irrelevant, though.

Space Mountain may have been futuristic in the space age. These days, this aging attraction is just a dinky roller coaster in the dark. And it is showing its age. It hasn't even been brought up to the standards of Disneyland's and that one was upgraded like a decade ago.

Yet, there's the Peoplemover. There's something that somehow has never been dated. It perfectly exemplifies what Walt was going for with his Tomorrowland at Disneyland. It is the essence of what Tomorrowland and even EPCOT Center Future World are supposed to be about.
there's the Astro Orbitor that is pretty futuristic (1975 land)

FettFan

Ideally, the space currently occupied by the Speedway would have been "Fantasyland Expansion: Arendelle" with a Frozen Bobsleds ride, since we're never going to see a Matterhorn on the east coast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom