Is the Great Movie Ride next?

MattOrk

I should have stated that the films weren't released as "Disney". Miramax, etc. were quite independent and the public for the most part wasn't aware of the ownership.
It just not true that the public was not aware. Here is a Los Angeles Times Excerpt. Notice the date:

"BUSINESS
Disney Forms New Film Unit in Plan to Double Output
December 2, 1988 | MICHAEL CIEPLY, Times Staff Writer
Walt Disney Co., sharply countering production cutbacks by other movie makers, said Thursday that it is forming a new film unit and plans to double its production of feature films. The new unit, Hollywood Pictures, will begin operation in February and will make about 12 movies a year by 1991, Disney said. The studio currently releases about 15 films a year, including several "picked up" from outside producers, under the Touchstone Pictures and Walt Disney Pictures labels."​

I'm glad they made Arachnophobia and Down and Out in Beverly Hills. Six Flags over Magic Kingdom sounds pretty bad.

Also, yes, Walt was aware of the 'bottom line'. It just wasn't his driving force. He was much more of a risk taker- financially and artistically speaking- than many, if not all, studio heads today in the era of multi-national conglomerate studio ownership. Basically, if he wanted it done it usually got done. Was everything a financial success? No. Not at first- financially speaking. Artistically- open to discussion. "Fantasia", "Sleeping Beauty"- huge cost overruns and money losers on initial release. Both in the long haul did make money and are, in retrospect, triumphs in animation. Today, they wouldn't likely have been made. As far as other studio heads of the time- the only one that is even thought of, and it isn't much- Louis B. Mayer at MGM. Mostly because of the pure size and power of that studio. They were the New York Yankees to Disney's St. Louis Browns as far as power goes.

I really don't see how Walt was different than any other studio exec. The man lived an extravagant lifestyle, worked hard and was ruthless. Marty Sklar and the rest of the people that ran the Disneyland/Wonderful World of Color shows did a great job of convincing the public otherwise. A person who needs such extravagances has to care about the bottom line or the gravy stops flowing. Walt didn't live in that office set.

As for the other studio heads....I think you are sadly unfamiliar with Hollywood History if you think people didn't know at the time about the Warner Bros(Their name was glued onto everything), Harry Cohn, Carl Laemmle and Howard Hughes. Size and power...Disney was AAA minor league compared to MGM.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
On topic, I hope GMR gets a lengthy refurb. It's a fantastic, classic attraction, but it does need some love. Some of the AA are very outdated, and I honestly wouldn't mind a COUPLE of new scenes.

Fleis76

I agree for the most part, but sadly I really think most folks have no clue as to who James Cagney is, maybe even Gene Kelly. Certainly not Busby Berkeley or Johnny Weissmuller. Maybe just change out a few scenes to make more of an impact. I always thought there NEEDS to be a Chaplin scene in this. Maybe open with that and replace Busby Berkeley's all non-dancing stack o' gals. Maybe change out Cagney (who I love) with something from "The Godfather". I don't know what you do with Tarzan, but the present swinging mannequin is embarrassing. The four you mention as classics- perfect as is, but if you have better AA's, feel free to update. Oh yeah, Star Wars in for Alien. Really no excuse on that one now.
I realize that "rights" may be why things are , or are not , as is. But in a prefect world Chaplin needs to be there.
Wow you're right! they DO need a Chaplin scene in there....he and Clark Gable are two of the people I think of first when I think of "classic" Hollywood. The "Godfather" idea is a good one too.

216bruce

It just not true that the public was not aware. Here is a Los Angeles Times Excerpt. Notice the date:

"BUSINESS
Disney Forms New Film Unit in Plan to Double Output
December 2, 1988 | MICHAEL CIEPLY, Times Staff Writer
Walt Disney Co., sharply countering production cutbacks by other movie makers, said Thursday that it is forming a new film unit and plans to double its production of feature films. The new unit, Hollywood Pictures, will begin operation in February and will make about 12 movies a year by 1991, Disney said. The studio currently releases about 15 films a year, including several "picked up" from outside producers, under the Touchstone Pictures and Walt Disney Pictures labels."​

I'm glad they made Arachnophobia and Down and Out in Beverly Hills. Six Flags over Magic Kingdom sounds pretty bad.

I really don't see how Walt was different than any other studio exec. The man lived an extravagant lifestyle, worked hard and was ruthless. Marty Sklar and the rest of the people that ran the Disneyland/Wonderful World of Color shows did a great job of convincing the public otherwise. A person who needs such extravagances has to care about the bottom line or the gravy stops flowing. Walt didn't live in that office set.

As for the other studio heads....I think you are sadly unfamiliar with Hollywood History if you think people didn't know at the time about the Warner Bros(Their name was glued onto everything), Harry Cohn, Carl Laemmle and Howard Hughes. Size and power...Disney was AAA minor league compared to MGM.

I'm talking about the awareness TODAY of these folks (Mayer, Warner etc.) Mention them to the average movie-goer and enjoy the blank stare you'll get. Like I said, they may have heard of Louis B Mayer, but apart from Walt, most studio heads from the past are about as well known as Harry Langdon in film comedy. NO ONE today (again, average film goer) has ever heard of Harry Cohn or Carl Laemmle. Columbia and Universal were AAA studios compared to 20th, Warner and MGM. Baseball wise- The St.Louis Browns were AAA compared to the Yankees....your analogy, while lacking in baseball knowledge is close.

I can't argue that Walt's lifestyle was relatively extravagant compared to the average person, but comparing him to Howard Hughes...seriously?

Most folks are totally unaware of the connection to Disney with Hollywood Pictures and Miramax, maybe even Touchstone. To them- Disney Castle on header of film=Disney film. Period. I'm not dissing your film knowledge, please don't diss mine.

216bruce

Agreed. Also, there should be a nod to Metropolis in there as well.
Metropolis would look really cool. It'd have to be the scene with this image in it...
07_brigitte_helm-theredlist.jpg

ProfSavage

Metropolis would look really cool. It'd have to be the scene with this image in it...
07_brigitte_helm-theredlist.jpg

Yes! Absolutely! Also, no mention of the Godfather (you know, the movie that changed gangster movies) and Amadeus seems to be sad as well. Tarzan has no relevance, especially when people think Tarzan+Disney they think the animated film...

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Yes! Absolutely! Also, no mention of the Godfather (you know, the movie that changed gangster movies) and Amadeus seems to be sad as well. Tarzan has no relevance, especially when people think Tarzan+Disney they think the animated film...
It's kind of hard for me to see an entire scene dedicated to The Godfather. Not denying its cultural influence and its influence on the industry. But like, it's Disney, lol.

I do agree about Tarzan though. It was a cool scene when the park first opened but there are so many better choices for the attraction. I would love to see Marvel incorporated into GMR somehow.

Mike S

I actually watched the Tarzan movie that scene is based on yesterday on TCM. It was bad. But maybe that's just me talking from the time I live in. I think the Disney version is 1,000,000 times better.

ProfSavage

It's kind of hard for me to see an entire scene dedicated to The Godfather. Not denying its cultural influence and its influence on the industry. But like, it's Disney, lol.

I do agree about Tarzan though. It was a cool scene when the park first opened but there are so many better choices for the attraction. I would love to see Marvel incorporated into GMR somehow.

Maybe not a scene, but at least a mention.

The-Godfather-007.jpg

Imagine this scene in AA form with that sweeping Nino Rota score. That is just waiting to happen!

And yes, the swinging Tarzan looks so dated compared to newer gen AAs...

216bruce

Who cares? If it's a cinematic landmark, then it has a right to belong in the attraction. Keep in mind, Alien is in there already too.
I think if it was handled right and the 'family friendly' scene was picked to show in the attraction, it'd be OK. The movie is shown in a clip at the end of the ride. The problem would be that the 'right scene' would probably be just dialogue "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" is certainly the most iconic. I doubt you could get away with "leave the gun, take the canoli". The line is every bit as famous as what's shown from "Casablanca" and that scene works great...if you love old movies. If you don't, the whole ride is probably lost on you anyway.

216bruce

I actually watched the Tarzan movie that scene is based on yesterday on TCM. It was bad. But maybe that's just me talking from the time I live in. I think the Disney version is 1,000,000 times better.
I love old Tarzan movies (own most of them) but the version on GMR is so bad that I actually have heard several folks laugh at it. It's number one on the "change me now" list.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I think if it was handled right and the 'family friendly' scene was picked to show in the attraction, it'd be OK. The movie is shown in a clip at the end of the ride. The problem would be that the 'right scene' would probably be just dialogue "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" is certainly the most iconic. I doubt you could get away with "leave the gun, take the canoli". The line is every bit as famous as what's shown from "Casablanca" and that scene works great...if you love old movies. If you don't, the whole ride is probably lost on you anyway.

Leave the gun take the canoli would be fine as long as long as they don't show the dead body. They already have a shoot out scene in the ride.

DistractedGenius

Just have everyone gathered in the office thing for the Godfather scene, that would be great. An Amadeus scene would be so awesome, but that would be another one that a lot of people probably would have never heard of and we might have another Footlight parade situation all over again. The musical theater fan in me really wants some newer movie musicals in this ride, don't know what they have rights to though (Into the Woods if it does well???). Would love some Chaplin and Buster Keaton as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom