Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Cesar R M

#3 can be the new giant Elsa statue that sings Let it Go on continuous loop coming to the courtyard in front of the Chinese Theatre just in time for Christmas!
6kr6UR9.jpg

Monorail Mike

Anatomy of the inside of the Hat:

Inside the hand, you'll notice a whole bunch of duct work. That's the air handling for the electrical for the lighting (this generated a good amount of heat), which is sitting on the concrete inside the hand. There's also a cable tray carrying wiring from that same room inside the hand into the hat itself. Underneath the hat, there was a finished ceiling if you're looking up. There needed to be access to the empty space above that ceiling inside the hat. That is what the stairs are for, going to the circular catwalk inside the hat.

The project still has a ways to go.

It's funny that with all the "backstage" and "lights-on" YouTube videos and such, that there hasn't been one entitled "inside the hat". Has anyone ever see a picture or video taken from those catwalks?

Sage of Time

How long ago did those towers disappear? I never noticed them missing.

Two things about this image.
1, the spires are missing. When did they go? No one noticed because of the big hat.
2, I LOVE how someone went to the time and effort to create the big ugly stage!! :D:rolleyes:

Oh and looking back through the time line, looks like the spires have been missing since 2006/2007 time... that's when they disappear from the images as far as I can tell.
Or shrink! They may just shrink judging by the shadows. Something is definitely showing in the shadow, but not as big as the spires that are shown in the 1990s Sorcerer in the Sky videos.

Oh ok, 'googlemaps1' is what I can see in the shadows... I'm guessing those aren't the tops of the spires.
The spires were removed shortly after the BAH was installed. They didn't remove them until they realize that they kinda looked attached to the BAH and detracted from it. Irony.

RandySavage

The spires were removed shortly after the BAH was installed. They didn't remove them until they realize that they kinda looked attached to the BAH and detracted from it. Irony.
Thanks for answering the "why". What are the chances they were saved and will be re-attached? The Theater looks much cooler (and more authentic) with them:
http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/0100cont/71112-800.jpg

Admiral01

Premium Member
Pop fans of Disney don't like it. They also like the tombstones and the wand.

Those sort of fans of Disney will like whatever Disney throws their way...whatever Disney tells them to like.

Disney is showing good taste with this reconstruction of DHS. Removing the wand was another good taste move.

Let me qualify this: there are some fans who actually liked the hat, the wand, castle cake, etc. That's fine. We can disagree about what looks good and what doesn't.

However, there are some fans who simply like anything Disney does. There are some fans for whom Disney can do no wrong. Anything Disney does deserves praise... Those fans are the reason we can't have nice things.

Goofyernmost

Those sort of fans of Disney will like whatever Disney throws their way...whatever Disney tells them to like.

Disney is showing good taste with this reconstruction of DHS. Removing the wand was another good taste move.

Let me qualify this: there are some fans who actually liked the hat, the wand, castle cake, etc. That's fine. We can disagree about what looks good and what doesn't.

However, there are some fans who simply like anything Disney does. There are some fans for whom Disney can do no wrong. Anything Disney does deserves praise... Those fans are the reason we can't have nice things.
I feel compelled to respond to the last statement. No it isn't the "Disney can do no wrong" people that are the reason why we can't have nice things, it's the, no matter what they do, I will hate it, alleged, fans that prevent that. OK, some didn't see anything cool about the Castle Cake, the Wand or the Hat, some did. Would, for example, I want to see the Castle Cake permanently, not at all. But was it a creative, colorful, difficult and expensive thing that they offered thinking most would be entertained by it? Sure was, but like I said before, when the fans start to think that WDW is a shrine designed for the worship of everything that is "serious" and mostly "old", then they will be hearing a lot of negative feedback. Since those that liked it, as a temporary structure in all likelihood wouldn't have said anything about it at all, they were not heard, just those that can't find humor or fun in anything that is different.

The sad thing is that in this case the squeaky wheel did get the attention and now they won't do anything at all because the "purists" will think it is wrong. Mistakes are made, no doubt. Keeping the wand and the hat as long as they did was just plain in your face... screw you we will do what we want and pocket the money in our bonuses. However, having them to begin with for the reasons that were stated was not at all a mistake.

I still am amazed at how many people are still upset because a plastic cake was overlaid on a plastic castle. Talk about silliness. At the same time are remorseful that Disney doesn't do overlays for the other attraction. You don't have to be a mathematician to make that add up. Anyway, I know a lot of folks will disagree with me on my evaluation of the subject and that is to be expected because no one wants to think that they have any responsibility for what happens there, but, sometimes negative will drive negative reaction much quicker then positive will drive positive reaction.

Last edited:

Eric1955

I feel compelled to respond to the last statement. No it isn't the "Disney can do no wrong" people that are the reason why we can't have nice things, it's the, no matter what they do, I will hate it, alleged, fans that prevent that. OK, some didn't see anything cool about the Castle Cake, the Wand or the Hat, some did. Would, for example, so I want to see the Castle Cake permanently, not at all. But was it a creative, colorful, difficult and expensive thing that they offered thinking most would be entertained by it? Sure was, but like I said before, when the fans start to think that WDW is a shrine designed for the worship of everything that is "serious" and mostly "old", then they will be hearing a lot of negative feedback. Since those that liked it, as a temporary structure in all likelihood wouldn't have said anything about it at all, they were not heard, just those that can't find humor or fun in anything that is different.

The sad thing is that in this case the squeaky wheel did get the attention and now they won't do anything at all because the "purists" will think it is wrong. Mistakes are made, no doubt. Keeping the wand and the hat as long as they did was just plain in your face... screw you we will do what we want and pocket the money in our bonuses. However, having them to begin with for the reasons that were stated was not at all a mistake.

I still am amazed at how many people are still upset because a plastic cake was overlaid on a plastic castle. Talk about silliness. At the same time are remorseful that Disney doesn't do overlays for the other attraction. You don't have to be a mathematician to make that add up. Anyway, I know a lot of folks will disagree with me on my evaluation of the subject and that is to be expected because no one wants to think that they have any responsibility for what happens there, but, sometimes negative will drive negative reaction much quicker then positive will drive positive reaction.

Who are these "no matter what they do, I will hate it" fans? I don't know anybody like that. Perhaps a few exist but I think most "purists" just want Disney to hold itself to a certain standard. The BAH and Tokyo DisneySea were completed the same year, but I don't think I've ever heard a "purist" say one bad thing about Tokyo DisneySea.

Last edited:

SnarkyMonkey

Who are these "no matter what they do, I will hate it" fans? I don't know anybody like that.

I actually don't think either of these types of fans exist. I think people just enjoy different things. So some things Disney does, one group will hate while another will love it. And when Disney makes a different change, the roles will be reversed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom