Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Brer Oswald

See, again, I don't think I agree with you with Dinosaur being very popular... I don't know. Whenever I'm there (and I'm in WDW a lot during the year) It's never more than a 20 minute line or it's basically just walk on with only needing to see the preshow video and then maybe a 5 minute line to get on the car. Maybe I could be getting lucky every time I'm in Animal Kingdom, but I doubt it. Especially in a park that has very little rides you would think it would be a long wait all the time. Almost like the problem they have at HS where RnRC, ToT and Midway Mania are usually lengthy waits due to not much in that park. Or Epcot and the horrible wait times of TT and Soarin'
Wait times at ToT, RnRC, and TSMM haven't increased. If anything, they've decreased, probably due to the fact that less and less people are going to DHS now. ToT is never over 40. Dinosaur is generally 30-40.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Which is why I’m suggesting change the idea of animal kingdom from being just about animals and saving the planet, to animals, saving the planet and a Adventure/wild theme. Where you can have rides like Indy and mystic manor and the safari next to each other. It seems like almost every cool rumor I see that’s suggested people just yell “NO throw it in Magic Kingdom it obviously fits there!” You know why? Cause Magic Kingdom is very broad and almost anything could fit there! The other parks, especially Animal Kingdom, could be a little more broad than just specifically animals and conservation which is imo a glorified zoo. Which I don’t care too much about and based on attendance since Animal Kingdom opened, others don’t too.
Keep in mind also that attendance depends on capacity. Up until Avatar, pre destruction of Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom was a half day with at least a perception of having the fewest things to do out of the four. Sometimes it comes down to quantity of experiences, rather than needed a broader theme for attractions.
Disney's Disney Kingdom - A Disney theme park
TM
Obviously, Indy COULD be made to work in Animal Kingdom, but it would need to be modified from the Indiana Jones experience that one would typically expect in order to do so. Clearly the creators of Dinosaur thought that Indiana Jones Adventure as it exists wasn't a good fit in Animal Kingdom, or they would have saved some money and plopped down an exact clone where Dinosaur sits now to begin with. Why ruin Animal Kingdom's Tower of Terror, just because the one across the pond is considered by some to be better? This is Guardians of the Tower ALL over again, and I'm not here for it.
The layout design was not about retheming IJA. It was about saving R&D on a new dinosaur driven attraction, utilizing a successful ride system on another coast.
If only Disney owned Land Before Time, all our problems would be solved.
Lucasfilm DID produce the first one!
I really love dinosaur and can't wait to ride it again (one of my favorite rides in all of wdw), but when Uni updates their Dinosaur area I'm afraid Disney will not be able to compete with them in this regard. Don't get me wrong, I do think DAK should have a Dinosaur themed land because it def belongs in the animal kingdom, but they just don't have a good IP to back it and their competition unfortunately has.
They don't need the more popular and familiar IP. They need to feature the better attraction.

jclow

Well to be fair IJ was a archaeologist! Archaeologist do in fact dig up the past and bones of the animals in the past! So it is really not that far of a stretch to see how an IJ land could tie into a DAK land! Yes it is a tight connection but it is there!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well to be fair IJ was a archaeologist! Archaeologist do in fact dig up the past and bones of the animals in the past! So it is really not that far of a stretch to see how an IJ land could tie into a DAK land! Yes it is a tight connection but it is there!

Welcome to the forum! [Edit: ...as a posting member!]

Let me do this gently before someone screams at you... ;)

An archeologist digs to study human history. A paleontologist digs to study fossils of animals.

So, Indy wouldn't be bone-hunting, unless it was human bones. Of course, Indy gets involved in some pretty significant side quests and his archeological expedition can run across forgotten lands of dinosaurs, or rare animals about to go extinct, or a pretty paleontologist in trouble.

Last edited:

bclane

Welcome to the forum!

An archeologist digs to study human history. A paleontologist digs to study fossils of animals.

So, Indy wouldn't be bone-hunting, unless it was human bones. Of course, Indy gets involved in some pretty significant side quests and his archeological expedition can run across forgotten lands of dinosaurs, or rare animals about to go extinct, or a pretty paleontologist in trouble.
That is of course true. However, they could make the dino bones significant to an archeologist by decorating them and making them religious or cultural artifacts of some kind. This storyline could be used to launch Indy on some grand adventure where he finds living dinos in some remote/hidden area (deep in the jungles of South America perhaps).

Jones14

See, again, I don't think I agree with you with Dinosaur being very popular... I don't know. Whenever I'm there (and I'm in WDW a lot during the year) It's never more than a 20 minute line or it's basically just walk on with only needing to see the preshow video and then maybe a 5 minute line to get on the car. Maybe I could be getting lucky every time I'm in Animal Kingdom, but I doubt it. Especially in a park that has very little rides you would think it would be a long wait all the time. Almost like the problem they have at HS where RnRC, ToT and Midway Mania are usually lengthy waits due to not much in that park. Or Epcot and the horrible wait times of TT and Soarin'
Don't mistake a ride with good capacity in a park that does approximately half of the overall numbers that Disneyland does as being unpopular. Safari drops down to ten minutes all the time, too, and it's one of the most popular rides at the resort.

CubanInDisney

That is of course true. However, they could make the dino bones significant to an archeologist by decorating them and making them religious or cultural artifacts of some kind. This storyline could be used to launch Indy on some grand adventure where he finds living dinos in some remote/hidden area (deep in the jungles of South America perhaps).
My guess is that Carnival in Dinoland USA will be completely gutted and replaced with an Indiana Jones ride & possible land, however I dont think Dinosaur will be re-themed to Indiana Jones. It will probably be updated and that half of the land will remain Dinosaur-friendly & possibly incorporate other Dinosaur-themed Disney IP. They'd be getting 2 for 1. Indiana Jones & keep the dinosaurs that the kids love so much. Also, the pre-historic is embedded in the roots of Animal Kingdom with the logo, parking lot, branding, etc

Kman101

After reading everything here and looking at all the rumors, I really don't think this rumor has any legs. I have been to Pandora and it is (in my opinion) amazing and it does fit animal kingdom even the rides fit the mission, but the stretch it would take to make Indy work I can't even see Disney making. (I know guardians at EPCOT) but EPCOT is in an identity crisis, and animal kingdom is pretty sound. Dino area needs help but I think Dinosaur area done better is all it needs.

I think it has legs. Indy seems to be on the table as one option whether we like it or not. Will it happen is another story.

jclow

Welcome to the forum!

"Let me do this gently before someone screams at you... ;)"

none of this is aimed at you, but to those who are going to Scream!

I would not nor will I take insult to anyone "screaming" at me online! I find that trolls and those who demand to be heard or just want to argue for argument sake, are usually less sensible in that they are not willing to listen and learn!

I have been reading this forum for many years now and registered sometime in 2015. I love Disney and most opinions are exclaimed and understood to be one's personal refection of any and all things Disney!

To be fair you would be correct... to a point!

In most if not all historical archaeological digs a paleontologist will be called in to verify identity and integrity of any bones found on a dig. As a theologian I have been on many of "historical Digs" with both archaeologist and paleontologist! The mainstream public usually tend to get a lot of the definitions confused! The actuality of one's job in the field may differ in definition but is awfully close in reality. In many of case, each job is very relative to the dig historical location, who financed it and who is hired to head the dig. The archaeologist is usually the head honcho of most any dig! That is of course not if the dig is one prepped and planed by a Paleontologist directly or who funded the dig!

However in the case of IJ he does represent the Hollywood style/vision of an archaeologist and not the true adventures of a real archaeologist. For that would just be boring and not so interesting for Hollywood to portray!

So as I had stated before it is a stretch but not that long of one!

Suspirian

I know Moana is a possible option for MK at the moment but wouldn't it mesh better with DAK's message than Indy? I feels like these rumors should switch parks.

jt04

For me, the ideal solution is to keep Dinoland, just replace Dino-rama with another ride, such as The Excavator, then for Indy to go in Hollywood Studios or Adventureland.

If they do this it will be with a revamp worthy of the franchise and not half measures. They've learned that lesson the hard way.

jt04

I always thought Pandora was going to be great, and it was - but Avatar is about conservation and respecting nature, so I think we all knew it would turn out amazing, as we all knew it would be themed to fit Animal Kingdom.

Whereas with Indy, the film does have a few animals in, and is set partly in nature, but the theme of the films has nothing to do with nature, it's all human(or alien, or magic, or who knows what else) themes.

Your first paragraph clearly indicates you did not spend much time here when Pandora was announced. Nice try.

Suspirian

Moana wants to restore the heart of the fiti and be a voyager. That doesn't scream DAK anymore than Indy does.

There for are are better fitting IPs for DAK, but I feel like parts of the film, particularly the story of Maui and Te Fiti, as well as a few other moments in the film relate more to man's interaction with nature. Animals and nature as a whole seem to be more of an integral part of the story compared to any Indiana Jones film where it pretty much just serves as a background.

Then again it really doesn't have a land to fit in and I think more people would rather see South America (assuming thats what IJ would be) have a presence in DAK before Polynesian islands

DisneyManOne

Given what Chapek's plans are as of now (2013 Mickey replacing GMR, Guardians being shoehorned into UoE), it shouldn't be a surprise that he's willing to shoehorn in more IPs where they don't belong. This should come as no surprise as before he was the Parks Chairman, he was president of Disney Consumer Products. And given how well the parks were run the last time they were run by the merchandising guy (Paul Pressler), I fear the worst. Here's hoping Chapek lasts as long as Pressler did...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom