Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

hokielutz

Could you not put it between Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain?

Possible... but you would need to relocate the parade staging and storage areas further south... also you have to contend with the WDW railroad path. Do you go over or under the rails? How will the parade enter the MK?

Not showstopping questions... but would need to be figured out.

hokielutz

I'd like to chat about this Indy Hotel rumor....

I think this is honestly more interesting to me than the Star Wars hotel. While it is true that the Star Wars films have a greater 'galaxy of stories' potential than the Indy films, I envision an Indy Hotel as being a more flexible and potent venue.

Essentially, don't think of it as an Indy hotel, think of it as a Casablanca / Adventurer's Club / Mystic Manor hotel. It could be adjacent to the Indy land, but not necessarily feature the Indy character (maybe his influence is there as much as it is at Jock Lindsay's). There will apparently be costumes available for Star Wars hotel guests. Could the same thing be available for Indy hotel guests? Who wouldn't like to go to a hotel looking like this?
View attachment 223499View attachment 223500
View attachment 223498

Yes, that last shot is tower of terror concept art. But instead of a Hollywood hotel trying to look exotic, it would be an actual exotic palace, populated with all sorts of interesting characters, mysteries, challenges, secret passages, and adventures.

Let's look at this another way - if you were going to select some IP to support a Disney 360 resort attached to Animal Kingdom, what kind of costumes would you like your guests to 'infect' the adjacent park with? 1930's adventurers is the best thing I can think of. :)

Bring back the Adventurers Club into this hotel concept?? A resort with entertainment!!

crxbrett

I think people are only thinking about aesthetics when deciding if Indy would fit, but surely the main priority is theme. I agree that Indy would look good aesthetically in Animal Kingdom, but the theme is where the problem is at.

I agree, it is a stretch being in AK. It's much better suited in the Studios. And Adventureland is obviously another place it would be perfectly at home in. But maybe Disney is eyeing AK since there is so much room there and a big spot that they may think is expendable - Dinoland? Probably way cheaper to do it there than at the other 2 parks.

Last edited:

jt04

My biggest problem with Indy in AK is that Animal Kingdom is about seeing the beauty in animals, even the dangerous ones. The Indy franchise utilizes them for gross, creepy-crawly factor (which is okay in that medium, but certainly not for Animal Kingdom...)

ITTBAB is quite popular after all these years.

On a side note...

Interesting that many of the critics of Pandora when announced for DAK and who now admit they were wrong are also going to be wrong on Indy at DAK.

JSchnitz

It may be a stretch for Indy to fit into AK but can you picture how stupid an Indy land would look next to the streets of downtown LA and Star Wars? I just have a feeling that if they really want this IP represented more in the parks, sorry but AK is where it's at...

BenJacobs

ITTBAB is quite popular after all these years.

On a side note...

Interesting that many of the critics of Pandora when announced for DAK and who now admit they were wrong are also going to be wrong on Indy at DAK.

I always thought Pandora was going to be great, and it was - but Avatar is about conservation and respecting nature, so I think we all knew it would turn out amazing, as we all knew it would be themed to fit Animal Kingdom.

Whereas with Indy, the film does have a few animals in, and is set partly in nature, but the theme of the films has nothing to do with nature, it's all human(or alien, or magic, or who knows what else) themes.

BenJacobs

CTX/Dinosaur! and the surrounding area always felt like the "ran out of money" land to me. CTX/Dinosaur! feels like gutting the building and rethemeing has always been part of the plan.

Dinosaur look really expensive, and very well themed, it's Dino-rama which they must have though: "We don't have the money right now, just shove something in quickly, and we'll replace it when we got da moolah."

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I was actually just at the parks on the 13th saying goodbye to UoE and GMR and my brother and I decided to go over to AK for a little. When we went on Dinosaur we did this same exact thing and it was quite fun trying to realize where everything is in Indy Adventure. It also made me realize just how much I don't really like Dinosaur that much and how.... kinda... boring it is to me... with no amazing music or immersive theming. Just screaming and darkness with the main AA that looks broken and rubbery imo.
Put 12 people in a dark box. Shake it up and yell at them. Drop them at the unload. Rinse, repeat.

BenJacobs

It may be a stretch for Indy to fit into AK but can you picture how stupid an Indy land would look next to the streets of downtown LA and Star Wars? I just have a feeling that if they really want this IP represented more in the parks, sorry but AK is where it's at...

I think Indy would look great in Hollywood Studios; but let's say it wouldn't, the place that's joint in the 'best place to house Indy' contest in Adventureland, not Animal Kingdom.

britain

I think Indy would look great in Hollywood Studios; but let's say it wouldn't, the place that's joint in the 'best place to house Indy' contest in Adventureland, not Animal Kingdom.

Yes, but again, if the real drive behind this is another Disney 360 resort, then which park really enhances your costumed adventure? Build a 1930's Indy Hotel at MK, and yet you spend half your time at Tomorrowland & Fantasyland in your pithelmet or bomber jacket?

JSchnitz

If it's just one attraction they want, then yes it would work at MK. But if it's a whole themed land, I can't see how that would fit into Adventureland?

choco choco

Recently added to AK:
  • Oct 2015: Water Buffalo
  • Dec 2015: Painted Dogs
  • Dec 2016: Rare Lion-Tailed Macaques
  • Jan 2017: Animals that were removed from the Discovery Island Trails around the Tree of Life were returned (they could have just been removed permanently). These include: red kangaroos, lesser flamingos, white storks, lappet-faced vultures

What species does AK not have that you think they should add?

There are five other continents, I'm sure everyone here could think of something.

Actually what I was going for is if Disney thinks opening a new themed section devoted solely to animals is no longer marketable (i.e. not a big enough draw to get people to think it is a "land" worth flying all the way to Florida for), is it even worth it to keep live animals around at all?

If the future of this park isn't to add more themed animal sections on a large scale, I'd seriously want them to consider removing the zoo parts entirely.

BenJacobs

If it's just one attraction they want, then yes it would work at MK. But if it's a whole themed land, I can't see how that would fit into Adventureland?

Well of course not, I was only talking about the one ride; however, I don't think anyone cares that much about the rest of the land, people would be completely satisfied by having just an Indiana Jones Adventure(hopefully not the exact same as the one in California).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Remember, this isn't really an Indiana Jones land, it's either a Dinosaur Land in which Indy's archeology leads him on a dinosaur adventure, or, it's a South America Land in which Indy's archeology leads him on a South American adventure.

In an ideal world it's a South America land in which there's a hidden valley of dinosaurs and Indy is accompanied by biologist and/or paleontologist experts from S.E.A., and they find a place to add in South American animals in the park.

BenJacobs

Remember, this isn't really an Indiana Jones land, it's either a Dinosaur Land in which Indy's archeology leads him on a dinosaur adventure, or, it's a South America Land in which Indy's archeology leads him on a South American adventure.

In an ideal world it's a South America land in which there's a hidden valley of dinosaurs and Indy is accompanied by biologist and/or paleontologist experts from S.E.A., and they find a place to add in South American animals in the park.

For me, the ideal solution is to keep Dinoland, just replace Dino-rama with another ride, such as The Excavator, then for Indy to go in Hollywood Studios or Adventureland.

britain

Yes - although it needn't be South America. It could be the Middle East too. Since (sadly) we westerners don't feel too safe travelling in that area of the world these days, I'd love to see the architecture of ancient Mesopotamia (and of course, its animals) represented. I'd say Egypt is a possibility too, though that's technically Africa...

BenJacobs

Yes - although it needn't be South America. It could be the Middle East too. Since (sadly) we westerners don't feel too safe travelling in that area of the world these days, I'd love to see the architecture of ancient Mesopotamia (and of course, its animals) represented. I'd say Egypt is a possibility too, though that's technically Africa...

For a brand new Animal Kingdom land, I would suggest a land based on the desert, either just deserts in general, or a large expansion to Africa about the Sahara in particular.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Middle East doesn't fit into Jungle Kingdom. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom