Is Disney World ours? And therefore,"those People" shouldn't be able to enjoy what we can't afford?

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
There's record crowds, theres official spin, there's park capacity, and there's the type of guest (first timer, foreign, local) and where they are staying.

Put the prices up enough and you have less visitors who still spend more due to the cost. In the short run. Record profit doesn't always equal record crowds.
I thought it was record crowds, revenue, and profit at the same time? If true, this is not margin driven its both high Ps & Qs with level or reduced costs.

And, I don't know that IS true, but its out there that the crowds and price (I know some pricing is up) are both high....

Goofyernmost

What stage is that on? My... how times have changed!:eek:
To be honest, I'm kinda glad it did. I never enjoyed that stuff. It seemed hopelessly corny and self serving. Who were they trying to convince... we were already there. On the other hand is that was part of a commercial or promotion then I guess I can see it's purpose.

bjlc57

Peeps STILL keep coming, in record numbers! Even with price increases!!

That means there is still room to raise prices more without a decrease in quantity demanded........prices could be even higher
Well maybe not. in a recent post , a true insider stated that even though the crowds look big, it may be congestion due to lack of personnel. and that some of the resorts aren't close to being filled. looks are different then true numbers.

DarthMileZ

Sooooo sick of hearing people cry and complain that they cant do things others can do because of the cost. Nothing is being done to shut "those people" out. Any event or any extra thing comes with a cost. Its available for anyone that wants to pay the price.... which means saving for it. Ever since I was a young child I learned nothing was going to be free and everything you wanted in life had to be earned. So if I want to do an after hours event I'm going to have to find a way to save for it, work for it and then when I've met my goal I'm going to enjoy it more. Too many people now want or expect everything to be either given to them for free or if someone has something, they think they are entitled to having it too. But the ones who have, have worked for it... you havent. So stop crying like a baby and get to work earning your way.

This!!! thankyou!!

draybook

Whether or not you can afford extra events doesn't mean they are or are not money grabs. And let's not play games here, the extra hours events ARE money grabs. Could I afford to put my family at one of these events? Heck, we do 3 Halloween parties on every trip. That's 4 adults per party....you do the math. But we get candy(sure it's not the best quality and candy is cheap), a special parade, special fireworks, special outfits on the characters at the M&Gs. The extra events are EXACTLY the same rides you were able to ride on before official closing. Extra evening hours, extra morning hours, extra PAID fireworks viewing area at the expense of FP+(which was also touted and rammed down our gullets).....I mean come on, the writing is on the wall. Iger and his squad care about your wallet and nothing else.

Cmdr_Crimson

What stage is that on? My... how times have changed!:eek:

The former and oddly named Tomorrowland Stage At Rockettower Plaza..
dsc06050.jpg

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Well maybe not. in a recent post , a true insider stated that even though the crowds look big, it may be congestion due to lack of personnel. and that some of the resorts aren't close to being filled. looks are different then true numbers.
I noticed plenty of rooms available at both Spring/Summer AP discounts; that suggests the resorts are not full. On another note, IF crowds are down (even though they appear to be up), and the resorts are not full, I wouldn't think the EMHs are going away. They were "given" or created to get guests into the resorts.

FutureCEO

Just wanting hear everyone's take on this. A recent article repeatedly referred to "those people" and indicated the after hours event was so "those people" wouldn't have to rub elbows with commoners.

Why is the heartburn so severe? Is it Disney World is ours? And we shouldn't be shut out of special events or anything else way to pricey? Or is there more to it than that?

Disney is a company. Why is it ours?

Pete256

I would pay for more than 3 Fast Passes and I already pay the $$$ to stay in a deluxe resort in the park. Not sure How much, but I would consider it. We are not late night people for the parks (we are rope drop - crack of dawn people) - the early morning deal is a joke - perhaps because my kid is a bit beyond FantasyLand (but he does love SDMR)

OR perhaps it just way overpriced for what you get.

Princess Kaylee

I believe everybody should experience that magic BUT the price also controls population and they use that money to better the parks. It's a catch 22 really, we never had trouble affording WDW and DL trips but we know people who never could. Disney is expensive but if it wasn't it would be packed and have mediocre rides.

AEfx

The reason the new up-charge event is an issue is because:

1) Being in the park late used to be free to ALL guests - it was called "Standard Operating Hours".

2) Then it became exclusive to Resort Guests as EMH, or what (used to be) reasonably priced hard-ticket events (under $50) that featured swaths of unique entertainment as well.

3) Now, it's for those that pay an exorbitant amount of money.

We've been talking about the decline in value and the increase in prices at WDW for quite some time, but this is a whole new level of "wow they must have you-know-whats of steel" to think this was going to fly.

Considering that, even among hard-core fans like us, I have yet to see one person say they paid for this - the few that went were given free tickets - and the other reports, this one isn't long for the books, thankfully.

To bring it back around to the OP's thoughts of the haves and have-nots, the macro issue is that historically, if you could afford to visit WDW and get an admission ticket, everyone was on a pretty much level playing field when it came to what happened inside the gate. It didn't matter if you were wealthy or had to scrimp and save for years to come - once you were there, Mickey didn't care if you were staying at the Grand Floridian or a campsite off-property. Sure, some folks could afford to buy more crap to take home or more expensive meals, but the entertainment and attraction experience was a level playing field.

That is the true tragedy of MM+, and things like this that it has led to. That WDW now has a visible caste system, and are adding new things and making old things that were once accessible to all to now being put behind an increasingly crazy paywall.

216bruce

How is it that 'crowds are down, but appear to be up'? Holograms? Cardboard cutouts? One crowd moving en masse just to appear like a packed park? mass hallucination? and just who exactly are 'those people'? I don't speak 'code'.

Homerclaus

How is it that 'crowds are down, but appear to be up'? Holograms? Cardboard cutouts? One crowd moving en masse just to appear like a packed park? mass hallucination? and just who exactly are 'those people'? I don't speak 'code'.

Budget Cuts: Less staffing, shut down capacity of the rides (second tracks, etc.), longer waits, less people willing to wait/ride capacity lowered: More people milling about/longer wait times. Artificially increasing congestion and wait times.

PinnySmart

I just can't resist having 3 hours in the MK almost all to myself so I will be attending the after hours event Thursday night. Don't really care what anyone thinks about it. I'm doing it because I want to. Not to impress anyone and on the other hand not to make anyone feel unworthy. I have an AP and can go whenever I want but I simply want to try this event.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom