Is Disney World ours? And therefore,"those People" shouldn't be able to enjoy what we can't afford?

PinnySmart

The reason the new up-charge event is an issue is because:

1) Being in the park late used to be free to ALL guests - it was called "Standard Operating Hours".

2) Then it became exclusive to Resort Guests as EMH, or what (used to be) reasonably priced hard-ticket events (under $50) that featured swaths of unique entertainment as well.

3) Now, it's for those that pay an exorbitant amount of money.

We've been talking about the decline in value and the increase in prices at WDW for quite some time, but this is a whole new level of "wow they must have you-know-whats of steel" to think this was going to fly.

Considering that, even among hard-core fans like us, I have yet to see one person say they paid for this - the few that went were given free tickets - and the other reports, this one isn't long for the books, thankfully.

To bring it back around to the OP's thoughts of the haves and have-nots, the macro issue is that historically, if you could afford to visit WDW and get an admission ticket, everyone was on a pretty much level playing field when it came to what happened inside the gate. It didn't matter if you were wealthy or had to scrimp and save for years to come - once you were there, Mickey didn't care if you were staying at the Grand Floridian or a campsite off-property. Sure, some folks could afford to buy more crap to take home or more expensive meals, but the entertainment and attraction experience was a level playing field.

That is the true tragedy of MM+, and things like this that it has led to. That WDW now has a visible caste system, and are adding new things and making old things that were once accessible to all to now being put behind an increasingly crazy paywall.
Well now you have. I paid for it and I can't wait to go Thursday night

Wendy Pleakley

It's all a matter of perspective. There are people who cannot afford to visit Disney at all. From their perspective, the average guest, referred to as "commoner" in the context of this discussion, might be considered "those people".

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
It's all a matter of perspective. There are people who cannot afford to visit Disney at all. From their perspective, the average guest, referred to as "commoner" in the context of this discussion, might be considered "those people".
Well done...everything is relative......

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
I am wonder about crowd levels this year as well. Last year while the crowd was up WDW wasn't up as much as Orlando in general. There's a warning sign right there. Universal of course is adding guests hand over fist but they have been on a building binge with Potter being the show piece.

Attendance doesn't mean that much. Do 100 people at X price is actually worse then doing 50 at 2X price since if you are doing 50 you can cut your staff. WDW has to many wheels turning to even get a guesstimate of profit without first hand knowledge of the books.
Right on....I believe the books from last Quarter post May 10th/11th....

Seabasealpha1

I think that some people think that if you criticize the Parks, you hate Disney. The reason we get so upset is because we love Disney so much and want the Parks to reach their full potential.
I'll agree with this and add to it...

I often hope that everyone can experience the parks at least once...and usually I get ticked at the price hikes because I feel like certain groups of people are put that much further away from being able to enjoy what a lot of us hold near and dear...I look at the parks as a certain "must do" with a touch of "right of passage". So, in total, I try not to look at anyone with any sort of "those people" mentality. To me, it should be for all people...not just the well off...it's part of our culture.

Now, that being said...I'm not going to most likely pay for some of this sierra hotel india tango that they're up-charging for...I'd rather just save and blow another whole day (some attractions are just better with people in them...sometimes the crowd helps!) at the parks than shell out for a few hours...I figure stuff like that is extra anyway...and if you can afford it and it suits your desires...then great...but I don't feel like it's an attempt at weeding folks out...I'd be more concerned about regular admission...

Just my $.02.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
I'll agree with this and add to it...

I often hope that everyone can experience the parks at least once...and usually I get ticked at the price hikes because I feel like certain groups of people are put that much further away from being able to enjoy what a lot of us hold near and dear...I look at the parks as a certain "must do" with a touch of "right of passage". So, in total, I try not to look at anyone with any sort of "those people" mentality. To me, it should be for all people...not just the well off...it's part of our culture.

Now, that being said...I'm not going to most likely pay for some of this sierra hotel india tango that they're up-charging for...I'd rather just save and blow another whole day (some attractions are just better with people in them...sometimes the crowd helps!) at the parks than shell out for a few hours...I figure stuff like that is extra anyway...and if you can afford it and it suits your desires...then great...but I don't feel like it's an attempt at weeding folks out...I'd be more concerned about regular admission...

Just my $.02.
nice sierra hotel _ _ touch!

BigRedDad

Yes, this is a "I'm Better Than You" play for Disney World. A large portion of the people going to WDW cannot afford to pay $600 for a few extra hours at a park. This is WDW's way of paying for Fastpasses. It was coming, but never thought it would be this outrageous. Now that they have this in place and there are people that will pay it, they will phase in their next master plan...
Reservations at Monorail resorts can book 5 FPs each day 90 days in advance
Reservations at other Deluxe resorts can book 5 FPs each day 80 days in advance
Reservations at Moderate resorts can book 4 FPs each day 60 days in advance
Reservations at Value resorts can book 3 FPs each day 45 days in advance

Once this is implemented, Deluxe resorts will go up 15-20%, Moderate resorts 10-15%, and Value resorts 5-10%. WDW is going to suck as much money out of your wallet as possible. Then, these early/after happenings will have tiered pricing as well. Deluxe will be $100, Moderate $125, Value $150. WDW knows that they make far more money off people staying in the higher dollar resorts. They are going to do what they can to get those people to pay even more.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I think that some people think that if you criticize the Parks, you hate Disney. The reason we get so upset is because we love Disney so much and want the Parks to reach their full potential.
Actually, it's because the parks are nowhere near as bad as y'all paint it to be. Criticize, sure, but some here act like it is a cesspool and that is completely wrong.

lebeau

disneyland_plaque.jpg

According to its creator, Disneyland was my land. Presumably he would have felt similarly about WDW.

lebeau

Actually, it's because the parks are nowhere near as bad as y'all paint it to be. Criticize, sure, but some here act like it is a cesspool and that is completely wrong.

I have never seen anyone compare WDW to a cesspool. I have seen lots of people point out that the quality has noticeably dropped over the last decade during which prices of tickets, hotels and food have increased at regular intervals.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have never seen anyone compare WDW to a cesspool. I have seen lots of people point out that the quality has noticeably dropped over the last decade during which prices of tickets, hotels and food have increased at regular intervals.
Except that to us, the quality hasn't diminished, and yes, I've been going there since 1978. Main Street hasn't looked this good in 20 years, and they are refurbing all over the place. While no one has specifically said the word cesspool, the inference is there. We completely disagree, and we go there multiple times every year. Is everything perfect? Of course not, but guess what, it wasn't perfect back in the 80's or 90's either as some people here seem to claim.

Talking about price increases is like talking to a wall. Everything goes up in price all the time. People just don't like the fact that Disney has raised their prices. Heck, 40 years ago a Super Bowl ticket was only $12. This past year, the cheapest ticket was $1200. A hundred fold increase. A 1 day ticket to MK in 1981 was $8, and it is now $105 for regular days. That's only increased 13 fold. And the price only gets better with multi-day tickets.

Yes, that is a valid comparison. No one has the right to go to WDW. No one has the right to go to the Super Bowl. They are both luxuries. People do what they can afford to do, just like forever. If Disney has priced you out of going there, well, sorry, but I never got to go there as a child either as my parents could never afford to go. My first trip in 1978 was as an adult when I moved to Orlando.

lebeau

Except that to us, the quality hasn't diminished, and yes, I've been going there since 1978. Main Street hasn't looked this good in 20 years, and they are refurbing all over the place. While no one has specifically said the word cesspool, the inference is there. We completely disagree, and we go there multiple times every year. Is everything perfect? Of course not, but guess what, it wasn't perfect back in the 80's or 90's either as some people here seem to claim.

Talking about price increases is like talking to a wall. Everything goes up in price all the time. People just don't like the fact that Disney has raised their prices. Heck, 40 years ago a Super Bowl ticket was only $12. This past year, the cheapest ticket was $1200. A hundred fold increase. A 1 day ticket to MK in 1981 was $8, and it is now $105 for regular days. That's only increased 13 fold. And the price only gets better with multi-day tickets.

Yes, that is a valid comparison. No one has the right to go to WDW. No one has the right to go to the Super Bowl. They are both luxuries. People do what they can afford to do, just like forever. If Disney has priced you out of going there, well, sorry, but I never got to go there as a child either as my parents could never afford to go. My first trip in 1978 was as an adult when I moved to Orlando.

Just because you haven't noticed the declines, doesn't mean they haven't happened. Take a look at any random thread and you are likely to find examples. Having said that, if you think the place is as good as it ever was, enjoy.

You are (intentionally?) ignoring some pretty important details when it comes to pricing. Indeed, prices go up. No news there. It's the degree to which Disney has been hiking prices. The price hikes have far outstripped inflation during a time when wages have remained stagnant. Adjusted for inflation, Disney World is more expensive than it has ever been. Couple these price hikes with lower than average investment in the parks, and the guest is paying more than ever for a product that has not been kept up.

And no, a Superbowl ticket isn't a valid comparison. I agree no one has an inherent right to take an expensive vacation. But the Super Bowl is a once-a-year event with limited capacity. Demand exceeds supply by a tremendous margin. Disney World is a resort with massive capacity that is open year round. You're not comparing apples to apples.

Has Disney priced me out? No. Last year we took a Disney cruise and sailed at the concierge level. I'll pay top dollar for a quality product. We're not going because we have noticed the drops in quality. We've been several times and don't feel like there is any reason to go back. The price hikes just make that decision easier.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Just because you haven't noticed the declines, doesn't mean they haven't happened. Take a look at any random thread and you are likely to find examples. Having said that, if you think the place is as good as it ever was, enjoy.

You are (intentionally?) ignoring some pretty important details when it comes to pricing. Indeed, prices go up. No news there. It's the degree to which Disney has been hiking prices. The price hikes have far outstripped inflation during a time when wages have remained stagnant. Adjusted for inflation, Disney World is more expensive than it has ever been. Couple these price hikes with lower than average investment in the parks, and the guest is paying more than ever for a product that has not been kept up.

And no, a Superbowl ticket isn't a valid comparison. I agree no one has an inherent right to take an expensive vacation. But the Super Bowl is a once-a-year event with limited capacity. Demand exceeds supply by a tremendous margin. Disney World is a resort with massive capacity that is open year round. You're not comparing apples to apples.

Has Disney priced me out? No. Last year we took a Disney cruise and sailed at the concierge level. I'll pay top dollar for a quality product. We're not going because we have noticed the drops in quality. We've been several times and don't feel like there is any reason to go back. The price hikes just make that decision easier.
Random postings on a message board mean very little. Just because someone came across a trash can that hadn't been emptied when they walked past it, is not a sign of declining quality. A bathroom being messed up because some stupid idiot decided to carp on the floor instead of in the toilet, and someone saw it before it was cleaned up doesn't mean it's declining. People have been talking about urine smells on the monorails. On our last trip to VGF we rode the monorails over 100 times during that trip, and never once smelled urine. Did we see trash? Yes, once. Once. We also saw during a stop at the Contemporary that a CM was inside one of the cabins cleaning up trash during the day. People have got to understand that just because someone happened upon it, and then posted about it on the internet, doesn't make it gospel truth or systemic issues with quality. Maybe someone stepped into that monorail cabin just a minute after a baby got a wet diaper, and the smell lingers for awhile. And maybe the rube that was the parent set that wet diaper down on the seat or carpet causing it to soak in. Would that EVER have happened 20 or 30 years ago? Rarely, but it happens all the time now. And we hear about it in 5 minutes on the internet, with pictures even. Could have been cleaned up 20 minutes later. We don't know.

So I have to ask. Exactly what drops have you seen? Did you say anything to anyone besides here on the message boards? Did you let a CM know? If you saw a piece of paper trash in the parks, did you pick it up, or just walk by and complain? Did you write a letter to Disney? Fill out a survey? Anything at all?

Saying that Disney prices have risen faster than inflation is again meaningless. Prices of literally thousands of items that we need to survive every day have gone up faster than inflation, so a luxury vacation going up isn't surprising at all. And just because it didn't in the past is also meaningless. Prices for gas and airlines were stable for decades, and have now ballooned as well.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just wanting hear everyone's take on this. A recent article repeatedly referred to "those people" and indicated the after hours event was so "those people" wouldn't have to rub elbows with commoners.

Why is the heartburn so severe? Is it Disney World is ours? And we shouldn't be shut out of special events or anything else way to pricey? Or is there more to it than that?

The price of the after hours event is a little high, but considering the overall cost of a Disney vacation I don't see it being so high that it's going to separate the type of people who can and cannot attend.

Goofyernmost

Random postings on a message board mean very little. Just because someone came across a trash can that hadn't been emptied when they walked past it, is not a sign of declining quality. A bathroom being messed up because some stupid idiot decided to carp on the floor instead of in the toilet, and someone saw it before it was cleaned up doesn't mean it's declining. People have been talking about urine smells on the monorails. On our last trip to VGF we rode the monorails over 100 times during that trip, and never once smelled urine. Did we see trash? Yes, once. Once. We also saw during a stop at the Contemporary that a CM was inside one of the cabins cleaning up trash during the day. People have got to understand that just because someone happened upon it, and then posted about it on the internet, doesn't make it gospel truth or systemic issues with quality. Maybe someone stepped into that monorail cabin just a minute after a baby got a wet diaper, and the smell lingers for awhile. And maybe the rube that was the parent set that wet diaper down on the seat or carpet causing it to soak in. Would that EVER have happened 20 or 30 years ago? Rarely, but it happens all the time now. And we hear about it in 5 minutes on the internet, with pictures even. Could have been cleaned up 20 minutes later. We don't know.

So I have to ask. Exactly what drops have you seen? Did you say anything to anyone besides here on the message boards? Did you let a CM know? If you saw a piece of paper trash in the parks, did you pick it up, or just walk by and complain? Did you write a letter to Disney? Fill out a survey? Anything at all?

Saying that Disney prices have risen faster than inflation is again meaningless. Prices of literally thousands of items that we need to survive every day have gone up faster than inflation, so a luxury vacation going up isn't surprising at all. And just because it didn't in the past is also meaningless. Prices for gas and airlines were stable for decades, and have now ballooned as well.
I posted this quite a while ago, maybe it's worth repeating. The monorails have a signature smell, they always have. Whether it is what is used for cleaning or what, it hasn't changed over the years. I was 35 when I first went to WDW in 1983. I remember the distinctive fragrance in them. I have been on them more times then I can count over the 34 years I have been attending the place. It has always smelled the same. It might not be the most pleasant smell, but, it isn't urine. I think many just do not know what rancid urine smells like. I would think it is a common mistake.

Rate of inflation has been used as the focal point many, many times. It just doesn't seem to sink in that inflation is not a valid measuring point when it comes to luxury items. It is not included in the calculations and is irrelevant when it comes to thing like this. It is not a necessity, and not governed by inflation. It simply is what it is. A BMW is very expensive and probably went up will over the inflationary rate over the years. It boils down to if you can afford one, you get one, if you can't then it is Ford Focus time for you. Seems unfair, but, then again life is anything but fair.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Inflation nor the changes (or lack of) in wages has the effect most think. This experiment, that most say has failed, will give valuable data for the bean counters to crunch....what if it really sell out now at $75.00? What will that do? To EMH? Resort Fees? The cost of MNSSHP, MVMCP? What benefit was gained by giving tickets away?

Back in the day, they said "New Coke" was a failure....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom