Hurricane Matthew

21stamps

Look on Google Earth and you can see were the individual sub stations are for WDW, most of them are fed by overhead power lines. Most of the main hotel buildings most likely have emergency generators for critical system (Fire alarms, Fire Sprinkler Pumps, Emergency Lights, Partial Elevators, and food refrigeration equipment). Beyond that I'm not sure if the outlying buildings have secondary power sources. Let's put it this way, if they loose some of their high voltage feeders because of the storm, it may be quite a while before things come back up.

Ironically the monorails will probably be fully functional throughout. LOL

I could be wrong, but I would assume that they have quite a few heavy duty generators. I lived in a mid rise (14 floors) condo for 10 years and our building even had generators for the service elevators, hallways, billiards room, spa (only place with hot water for a few days lol), and a few other common areas. The problem was that all of the residents, who like me didn't listen to the mandatory evacuation warnings, had multiple extension cords running from one of those rooms all the way down the hallway- charging phones, laptops, using hot plates etc. I've never seen anything like it in my life. Needless to say, the generators blew out after about 72 hours of that madness.

I would think that WDW would have something more powerful in place in their resorts.

Disney4family

Experienced the true meaning of serendipity today.
Had an appt scheduled for today. Thought of changing it back to Sunday since it was obvious I had to cancel my trip this weekend. Found out the woman next to me was on the same flight down, but called yesterday evening to change her flight instead of trying to do it online. She got one for Friday night. For the heck of it, I called this afternoon after speaking with her. I got on the same flight! :joyfull:
God willing, everyone will be okay and everything will be fine when we arrive late tomorrow night.

Nemo14

I can see someone wanting a more relaxed outdoorsy atmosphere being a bit disappointed being sent to a concrete jungle. That said, HEY YOU ARE AT WDW! LOL.
Disappointed perhaps, but considering she was moved for her own safety while countless others along the path of this storm will suffer major damage to their property or perhaps to themselves, it strikes me as a bit "brattish" to complain like that.

Eddie Garrison

Living here in Dr. Phillips we are honestly not worried about this too much. Having lived in much worse areas for hurricanes, we'll get a lot of rain and gusty winds.

You still have to take it seriously, though I honestly don't expect too much from it as far as "hurricanes" are concerned.

Stay safe on the coast if you are out there.

ask!

When we got iced in, at the airport, for a couple of days in 2013 our agent kept Disney Travel in the loop. I'd do that if you are delayed. Since our delays were due to extraordinary weather events we were credited for the nights we missed, and park tickets included in the package we booked. YMMV

very useful info--thanks.
so far it looks promising---I hope Matt is kind to Florida

Look on Google Earth and you can see were the individual sub stations are for WDW, most of them are fed by overhead power lines. Most of the main hotel buildings most likely have emergency generators for critical system (Fire alarms, Fire Sprinkler Pumps, Emergency Lights, Partial Elevators, and food refrigeration equipment). Beyond that I'm not sure if the outlying buildings have secondary power sources. Let's put it this way, if they loose some of their high voltage feeders because of the storm, it may be quite a while before things come back up.

Ironically the monorails will probably be fully functional throughout. LOL
Behind MK, they have a power plant. It's something small like a few hundred kilowatts. They still get the majority from the grid but during power outages, it acts as a MK generator.

Tavernacle12

If the hotels are full, I believe the next move is cots in the convention center at The Grand, which was done once.

I'm curious if they'd room people in the actual deluxe and moderate rooms (and villas) if available before sending people to cots there. Especially if the storm was really severe. Or if there's shelters inside the parks themselves if something unforseen somehow goes wrong while the parks themselves are open. I assume they could fit a good amount of people in the Millenium Village tent (the one by U.K.) and Innoventions in Epcot. Not really sure about the other parks, especially AK.

I've heard people say that they tend to bring characters out in these sorts of events to the hotels since everyone is stuck there. Do they actually have costumes and trained friends on duty at the hotels or do they bravely try to bring them there in the awful weather?

Mirandagrate

we're here at the grand Floridian. A lot the staff act like everything is perfectly fine. My husband wants to pack us and the 4 kids up, but we are scheduled until the 11th, with Halloween parties on the 7th and 10th and bippity on the 10th as well... I'm afraid we're going to lose all of that... This is our youngest' so first trip here.. So disappointing thinking about leaving early :(

sjane104

we're here at the grand Floridian. A lot the staff act like everything is perfectly fine. My husband wants to pack us and the 4 kids up, but we are scheduled until the 11th, with Halloween parties on the 7th and 10th and bippity on the 10th as well... I'm afraid we're going to lose all of that... This is our youngest' so first trip here.. So disappointing thinking about leaving early :(

Stick it out. You'll be fine and Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be gorgeous. You'll have your party on the 10th no worries

lazyboy97o

The storms don't tend to linger for that long. Even with the models showing the storm returning to Florida there are several days between where the storm is elsewhere. Leaving now may well put you in a more dangerous situation tomorrow night as hotels book up and gas runs low. Better to have a little cabin fever at a Deluxe Hotel than risk being stuck somewhere else.

MOXOMUMD

Bingo. I live in earthquake country in SoCal, and I have a high mileage vehicle in my garage that I never let get below 3/4 of a tank. That way I can always drive at least 400 miles away without worry. And in the trunk of that car I keep a tidy supply of food/water/clothes good for 72 mobile hours. I can't imagine having a family in hurricane country, with a well-publicized major hurricane bearing down on the region, and not having a full tank of gas and some supplies several days before the storm was due to arrive.

Not doing that as an adult with a family seems... not smart.
We do the same for winter when we get feet of lake effect snow and can't get out for days. Every fall we stock up on canned goods, batteries, firewood, water and basic necessities. Better safe than sorry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom