Hurricane Matthew

Jimmy Thick

I remember seeing videos of the All Stars when Wilma went through and they were pretty safe, with those being the lower end rooms hopefully the rest are as secure.

It also makes you see why some rides and attractions take so long to develop, I have to believe they should get tested for severe weather.

Prayers for Florida, get your park on now if you are there and stock up what you can, then get safe.

21stamps

Well we were going to drive down on Friday but I don't see it happening now. Orlando will only be a few dozen miles from landfall if the eye skirts the coast like the models are showing.

I can't believe Disney hasn't announced the park closures yet. They must be waiting on the city of Orlando to order evacuations.
I don't think Orlando would be under a mandatory evacuation. Once WDW announces it is is closed they can't reopen. Better to wait and see if there is actually a need to close the parks.

bunnyman

I don't think Orlando would be under a mandatory evacuation. Once WDW announces it is is closed they can't reopen. Better to wait and see if there is actually a need to close the parks.
For Charley they announced a 1pm closing time; we were in the MK that day and had a breakfast reservation for Cinderella's character meal. I don't remember if they made the announcement the night before or early in the morning, but we knew heading to the parks that we only had until 1pm, then back to the hotel. And when they said 1 pm, they meant it. At 1 on the button swarms of park staff came out of nowhere to remove or tie down anything that could fly away (i.e. garbage cans, tables, chairs, etc.). Any signs hanging on buildings were tied back, etc. And for once in our lives, we saw each and every store in the park closed (on main street they were sandbagged and windows taped). It was just get out, here's a free pass for a future trip, and have a magical day! The storm didn't really start to hit until early evening, so they had hotel activities (characters came to the WL lobby), and they started selling boxed meals as they wanted you to eventually remain in your rooms.

MOXOMUMD

Perhaps he meant because county offices and businesses are closing at noon tomorrow, they should too?

bunnyman

Is WDW "off the grid" meaning do they have their own power plants or are they state powered? Has WDW ever had a long loss of power?
Not completely. I believe they have a 55,000 kw plant that supplies part of their own power, with the rest off the grid. After Charlie, they had partial power restored the next day as parks opened in stages. However, you noticed that they kept A/C's off in most park areas as those are big power users. Talking to CM's those days, they had said that everything around WDW was pretty much dark for days, so they'd be leaving their families without electricity to go tend to theme park resort guests...kind of surreal.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
14581486_10153850557367761_6248261043101233222_n.jpg

MOXOMUMD

Keep in mind that due to the intensity and size of the hurricane, rain bands will extend over the entire Florida peninsula. Can't speak to wind speed either. I would say at least tropical storm force winds at WDW.
TWC are telling the west coast of FL to expect possible power outages due to high winds.

Sundown

Disney has a Risk Management team that is spectacular. They are prepared for this and their risk management extends down to each cast member playing a vital role in preparation & action. Based on their skillfully executed plans in prior hurricane conditions, Disney is very prepared with plans already.

Though guest are naturally going to feel worried, they are in a smart, well-prepared hands with Disney.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom