how crowded is "really crowded"?

edhall

every place I've read has been saying that the end of March is going to be super crowded!
I'm going march 25-april 2nd.
I'm trying to get an idea... what does REALLY crowded mean? will i have to wait forever for quick service food? will there not be any tables to sit on? will most of the rides take > 20 mins to get on? Do i have to swim through a crowd to get from point a to b?

If anyone can give me an idea, that would be great. i'm trying to mentally prepare!

thank you!

DisneyRoy

Sadly I think you're right. When I just went during this "slow" week in Dec. 2014 we had to get in the park entrance line about 35 minutes before park opening and we were still probably about 40 people deep in our respective line. As soon as the park opened we could fast walk to our favorite ride of that park (EE, ToT, RnRC) and virtually walk right on. Hop off, run back in line for a 5 minute wait, ride it again and then move on to our #2 ride. At about 10AM those rides already had 60-80 minute waits.

The sad thing is for those rides those times are the slow period times nowadays.

Upvote 0

UncleMike101

We used to go to The World over the 4th of July Holiday because that was when we could get time off.
We did that insanity five times.
Now we visit in mid to late May.
Last year over Memorial Day Weekend people were complaining about the crowds. :rolleyes:
Compared to our previous experiences over the 4th of July, Memorial day is like having the place to ourselves.

Upvote 0

plutoismyhero

We used to go to The World over the 4th of July Holiday because that was when we could get time off.
We did that insanity five times.
Now we visit in mid to late May.
Last year over Memorial Day Weekend people were complaining about the crowds. :rolleyes:
Compared to our previous experiences over the 4th of July, Memorial day is like having the place to ourselves.

We always used to go in the beginning of May and it was never super crowded, Lately I have liked beginning of October crowds arent super bad and all the events are still going on so you have alot to do.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Go find the photos of MK the week between Christmas and New Years. Wall to wall people. And I thought the week after Easter was bad.....

You will be going the week before Easter, so it will be crowded. Just plan, make sure you get FP+ for those "must rides" at each park and check crowd calendars to see which will be the busiest park(s) each day of your visit. Most frequent visitors recommend getting to the parks at opening/morning EMH (not me, I'm still asleep) since you will be able to walk on to many rides and be done with most before the crowds start showing up around 11:00 (those like me who like to sleep in ;)). But don't forget to be flexible, too. And when the crowds get to be too large, go back to the resort for a nap/swim. Just make sure if you are at the MK to leave BEFORE the FoF parade ends.

Enjoy. The weather will be nice. Well, nicer than July & August.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Crowded is crowded. The pictures said a thousand words and all that...I always go when it is busy...maybe I luck out and catch a few "low crowd" days at the beginning or end of my visit. I just have a knack for booking a WDW trip when the majority do I guess. Somehow I always have a wonderful time.

Upvote 0

irishmom58

every place I've read has been saying that the end of March is going to be super crowded!
I'm going march 25-april 2nd.
I'm trying to get an idea... what does REALLY crowded mean? will i have to wait forever for quick service food? will there not be any tables to sit on? will most of the rides take > 20 mins to get on? Do i have to swim through a crowd to get from point a to b?

If anyone can give me an idea, that would be great. i'm trying to mentally prepare!

thank you!
You can select your attractions ahead of time with FastPass+ and add to them at kiosks around the park as you use them up, but with huge spring break crowds, families and groups arriving at the same time back for their attraction, rides can close temporarily. Soarin at Epcot readily gets busy soon after the park opens so make a bee line for your favorite spots before the crowds fill up. At MK, Peter Pan will have a lesser wait when it first opens then mid morning, Mine Ride and Big Thunder Railroad, same story. Princess Fairy Tale hall will fill up very fast early in the day, but you may be able to get one later in the day. We never eat at a table service restaurant, we grab and go. I also bring lunch meat and bread for the room fridge and make sandwiches and fruit and bring with us. We never do meal plan or drink cup plan.

I checked myDisney app today, and early this morning (around 9:30) there already was a 105 min wait for Soarin' and 120 min wait for 7 Dwarves Mine Ride. That's crowded. Figment at Epcot had a 35 min wait, and the Spaceship Earth (Epcot golfball) was over 45 min.

Keep your cool, enjoy other attractions and enjoy the Florida sunshine.

Upvote 0

irishmom58

I use certain rides as "measuring sticks" to determine how crowded the park is on a given day.

For example, if the Haunted Mansion (The ultimate crowd eating omnimover) is longer than 60 minutes, the Magic Kingdom is very crowded.

My advice on your dates, which will be quite crowded other than Christmas, 4th of July and perhaps Thanksgiving:

1) Go with the right mindset. It will be crowded, so enjoy it in ways that don't necessitate ride, ride, ride.

2) Keep calm, stay patient, and use your Fast Passes.

3) Try to get some dinner reservations set. I know it's last minute now, but at least have some places planned where you can sit down and eat. This will give you a break from the constant crowds.

4) Have a good time. Crowded doesn't have to mean miserable, but it can be if you are too focused on how crowded it feels.
Take a nap in Carousel of Progress, sit in the back row; put your feet up on the Tomorrowland People Mover, and go around 2-3 times to really relax. Hall of Presidents is a good R & R spot, as well as the American Experience at Epcot - beware of Civil War cannons that will wake you up!

Upvote 0

irishmom58

We're just going for the one day but our expectations outside of our 3 FP+ rides are pretty low. For the kids just being inside the gates is all they want. We were there in October 2013 and it was fantastic as well, we literally had Dumbo to ourselves for over 45 minutes. At the time it was my daughters favorite ride and we just rotated adults from our group to ride with her, the CM didn't even make us get back in line we just stood at the ride gates.

I would love to know which area is best to start in during these crazy weeks.
MK Fairy Tale Hall will be a madhouse with kiddos and strollers nearly all day, but you can pop in to Ariel's Undersea Grotto and Enchanting Tales with Belle pretty easily, then double back and go to Haunted Mansion, go a couple of times on each while the wait is low, then move on to Buzz Lightyear, finish up and head over to Big Thunder Railroad, and wander to Pirates, go a few times in a row, take in the Magic Carpet rides, then Hall of Presidents for some R&R, by now it is lunch time. We buy kids meals - one person get a table and the other go stand in line. You get drinks and sides for half the price. Adventureland has good burgers and salads and nice spots to sit and people watch. Time to head over to Tomorrowland and hop on the Peoplemover then Carousel of Progress. Time to size up the fast passes at the kiosk and see what is left, then hit up the Jungle Cruise and start all over again! Lots and lots of fun.

Upvote 0

irishmom58

A "sea of bickering"?
ride a few in a row while the crowds are lower in the early part of the day. Hint: in Haunted Mansion stand under the girl with the umbrella in the 'room with no windows and no doors', the door is under it! You will be first in line for your doom buggy!! Have fun, it's Disneyworld!

Upvote 0

BrianV

We just got back from wdw (Friday night to Monday morning). The crowds were impressive, but we had a strategy that worked for us. In am we went to one park without fastpasses and hit up the better rides. Then as the crowds grew, the second tier rides. Around 1 pm Back to our hotel (the dolphin ) for lunch and siesta. Then late afternoon/evening at a different park with fastpasses and then tier 3 rides. Each night we had a dining reservation in a park (fireworks dessert party one night and chip and dale dinner at the land the other). Worked great. We did the highlights of all four parks in two days. And swam (but it was cold). Fantastic weekend despite the crowds.

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

Take a nap in Carousel of Progress, sit in the back row; put your feet up on the Tomorrowland People Mover, and go around 2-3 times to really relax. Hall of Presidents is a good R & R spot, as well as the American Experience at Epcot - beware of Civil War cannons that will wake you up!
I can't sleep through any of those because I love them. The American Adventure is probably my favorite show on property and my love for Carousel of Progress goes pretty deep. I just listened to the theme on the way to work.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

ride a few in a row while the crowds are lower in the early part of the day. Hint: in Haunted Mansion stand under the girl with the umbrella in the 'room with no windows and no doors', the door is under it! You will be first in line for your doom buggy!! Have fun, it's Disneyworld!

Okay. Thanks for the info. I'm fine with how my family handles the crowds....

I think you quoted the wrong person.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom