how crowded is "really crowded"?

edhall

every place I've read has been saying that the end of March is going to be super crowded!
I'm going march 25-april 2nd.
I'm trying to get an idea... what does REALLY crowded mean? will i have to wait forever for quick service food? will there not be any tables to sit on? will most of the rides take > 20 mins to get on? Do i have to swim through a crowd to get from point a to b?

If anyone can give me an idea, that would be great. i'm trying to mentally prepare!

thank you!

Daniel Johnson

Think wall to wall. That was my experience. Took a while to get into the parking lot. Waited on 5 monorails before we got on. An hour and a half to get our will call tickets, and then just getting past main street....
Never again.

Upvote 0

BrianV

every place I've read has been saying that the end of March is going to be super crowded!
I'm trying to get an idea... what does REALLY crowded mean? will i have to wait forever for quick service food? will there not be any tables to sit on? will most of the rides take > 20 mins to get on? Do i have to swim through a crowd to get from point a to b?

If anyone can give me an idea, that would be great. i'm trying to mentally prepare!

thank you!

I can't say for sure as usually we go off season. But we'll be there too with you. We are planning early am and then late pm in the parks, with time at the pool mid day. And don't forget to make fast passes.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

DSC_5294.jpg
149697255.jpg
dscf0647.jpg

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Greater than twenty minutes to get on rides...uh, yeah. Try greater than twenty minutes to get in the restroom. Did it once, could not pay me to do it again.
With that said, that is my personal experience. Many, obviously many, people go during the stupid busy times, have a wonderful time and thrive on the energy, excitement and vibe of the throngs of fellow tourists. Of course, the crowds also increase the frustration levels of some of those fellow tourists and some can behave in a less than magical way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

Apart from Christmas, those dates are the worst ....

2009-06-05-WDW-Segway-lawsuit-Exhibit-showing-crowded-theme-park.jpg

I think I would rather stick a pencil into my eye socket than be in that malay...I know that there is certainly more substance to Disney than rides but considering entry cost to the park has anyone ever done the math on a peak day like that for average cost per ride if you broke down how many rides it is possible to get on versus entry to the park?

Upvote 0

hull327

I went the 2nd week of Dec. 2014 which was supposed to be a "slow" week. Never again. It certainly wasn't as slow as the 1st week of Oct. 2012 when I went last which was a dream. I would never, ever, ever go when the anticipated crowd is anything over "slow." That's just me, though.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

WOW !!!! There's too much doom and gloom being posted on here - and I can honestly say, that from a personal point of view, some of it is grossly exaggerated.

I've been to WDW 6 times. 4 over Easter, 1 in August and my last trip over Christmas and New Year. We're going back this August. ALL these trip have been over peak times. ALL these trips have been thoroughly enjoyed and if we hadn't enjoyed them, would we have gone back for more - probably not.

The trick is to plan in advance - well in advance. Get your dining reservations booked as early as possible and enjoy at least one table serve meal a day. Use it as a time to chill out and relax before, during or at the end of your day in the parks.
Counter serve restaurants will be busy and yes you will have to stand in a long line for service.
Headliner rides are best done during Extra Magic Hours, straight after rope drop or with Fast Pass. Standby by lines can be soul destroying but people do it. Almost 4 hour standby for Soarin' on New Years Eve is the biggest I've seen, up to two hours for Splash or Big Thunder are not unusual.
Swimming through a crowd is a great description - its busy and people get frustrated as its totally not what they were prepared for.

Plan for the absolute worst, and be pleasantly surprised when it isn't really all that bad - go expecting short lines, walk up restaurants and grabbing a great spot for the parade at the very last minute and you're in for a shock

Upvote 0

Arty Cordova

thank you!

Buddy, my best advice is be prepared for the worst. You will wait probably 20 minutes just to order quick service. The rides will probably be 50 minute waits. It will be hot which will lead many families to get easily aggravated. I would suggest going early in the morning, leave by lunch time and enjoy the pool at your resort. Then come back after 7 nice and refreshed. I would keep the meals at the resort and not in the parks. And remember you are at Disney, do your best to keep your patience in check with all the madness.

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

WOW !!!! There's too much doom and gloom being posted on here - and I can honestly say, that from a personal point of view, some of it is grossly exaggerated.

I've been to WDW 6 times. 4 over Easter, 1 in August and my last trip over Christmas and New Year. We're going back this August. ALL these trip have been over peak times. ALL these trips have been thoroughly enjoyed and if we hadn't enjoyed them, would we have gone back for more - probably not.

The trick is to plan in advance - well in advance. Get your dining reservations booked as early as possible and enjoy at least one table serve meal a day. Use it as a time to chill out and relax before, during or at the end of your day in the parks.
Counter serve restaurants will be busy and yes you will have to stand in a long line for service.
Headliner rides are best done during Extra Magic Hours, straight after rope drop or with Fast Pass. Standby by lines can be soul destroying but people do it. Almost 4 hour standby for Soarin' on New Years Eve is the biggest I've seen, up to two hours for Splash or Big Thunder are not unusual.
Swimming through a crowd is a great description - its busy and people get frustrated as its totally not what they were prepared for.

Plan for the absolute worst, and be pleasantly surprised when it isn't really all that bad - go expecting short lines, walk up restaurants and grabbing a great spot for the parade at the very last minute and you're in for a shock
OK, so I am a little confused. The OP is wondering if he will have to wait longer than 20 minutes. You then mention four hour standby and up to two hours being not unusual. He's going next week, so I am not sure how much he can plan in advance.
So, is your personal point of view grossly exaggerated too? Standby lines soul destroying?
I guess the confusing part for me is you seem to be with us doom and gloom folks while declaring it as exaggerated. Seems kinda like a restaurant review declaring the meal both inedible and delicious.
Anyway, just giving you a hard time. Yes, people can and do have a great time in those crowds. Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

Upvote 0

MermaidJuli

OK, so I am a little confused. The OP is wondering if he will have to wait longer than 20 minutes. You then mention four hour standby and up to two hours being not unusual. He's going next week, so I am not sure how much he can plan in advance.
So, is your personal point of view grossly exaggerated too? Standby lines soul destroying?
I guess the confusing part for me is you seem to be with us doom and gloom folks while declaring it as exaggerated. Seems kinda like a restaurant review declaring the meal both inedible and delicious.
Anyway, just giving you a hard time. Yes, people can and do have a great time in those crowds. Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.
Instead of 'I would NEVER go then, don't do it,' he's saying that if you go with the right mentality, it can be enjoyed. Like you said, the OP is going next week and there's not much that can be done about it. It seems like @CAPTAIN HOOK was doing a good thing by posting something productive.

Upvote 0

Sordicampos

Edhall, what worries me a bit is to see that you might be surprised by the comments. I hope this is not the case. I'm sure you will have a terrific time and you will enjoy the trip, but if you were really surprised by the crowds you may face, I would review the planning and plan some more. I would adjust expectations and I would mentally prepare myself not to be frustrated if I couldn't accomplish everything planned for the parks. I would set few priorities in terms of rides and if I get to ride more than planned, great, a nice bonus! But one thing you shouldn't be is sad! :) You are going to Disney World!!!! Have a wonderful trip! I'm sure you will have a blast!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom