how crowded is "really crowded"?

edhall

every place I've read has been saying that the end of March is going to be super crowded!
I'm going march 25-april 2nd.
I'm trying to get an idea... what does REALLY crowded mean? will i have to wait forever for quick service food? will there not be any tables to sit on? will most of the rides take > 20 mins to get on? Do i have to swim through a crowd to get from point a to b?

If anyone can give me an idea, that would be great. i'm trying to mentally prepare!

thank you!

PhotoDave219

I went the 2nd week of Dec. 2014 which was supposed to be a "slow" week. Never again. It certainly wasn't as slow as the 1st week of Oct. 2012 when I went last which was a dream. I would never, ever, ever go when the anticipated crowd is anything over "slow." That's just me, though.

Slow weeks no longer exist. A slow day or two do. Tues-Thurs of the week before MLK day. Tues-Thurs after Labor Day.

Pretty much it.

Upvote 0

Moedutton

We've been around Easter week for the last three years and going down again this year. Knock on wood.....we have never had a problem with it being "over crowded." I do a ton of planning before the trip and so far it has always worked out. We have always done and seen everything that we wanted to do on each trip.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Listen what I would do is just gift me your stay. I'll go there and suffer through all this expected mayhem for you.

You got it booked already, whatever the truth is -- perceived or real whaddya gonna do about it?

Be smart, get up early be there for rope drop at every park you go to, get done as much as you can and
ENJOY.

You're going to WDW for Pete's sake!! Everything after that is a first world problem. :) And those are the BEST kinda problems to have.

Upvote 0

Trevor67

We've been around Easter week for the last three years and going down again this year. Knock on wood.....we have never had a problem with it being "over crowded." I do a ton of planning before the trip and so far it has always worked out. We have always done and seen everything that we wanted to do on each trip.

Have fun!

We're just going for the one day but our expectations outside of our 3 FP+ rides are pretty low. For the kids just being inside the gates is all they want. We were there in October 2013 and it was fantastic as well, we literally had Dumbo to ourselves for over 45 minutes. At the time it was my daughters favorite ride and we just rotated adults from our group to ride with her, the CM didn't even make us get back in line we just stood at the ride gates.

I would love to know which area is best to start in during these crazy weeks.

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

Slow weeks no longer exist. A slow day or two do. Tues-Thurs of the week before MLK day. Tues-Thurs after Labor Day.

Pretty much it.
In my experience, that's a little overstated. There are lots of slow days in April, May, September, October, February and even January and early December. Sure, they aren't as "slow" as they used to be, but what is? Saturdays have become sort of crowded all the time, but I've gone so many times in the last 3 years that I can comfortably say I never wait more than 20 minutes for anything, even if I don't plan very well or use a lot of strategy. The waits just aren't bad because the parks aren't super crowded.

You certainly have to be more mindful of the time you go now and try to avoid hoidays, but it certainly isn't just confined to Tues-Thurs. The only non slow day anymore is Saturday. Generally, Saturdays are pretty busy but they certainly aren't as busy as the busiest times during the holidays.

Upvote 0

wogwog

We're just going for the one day but our expectations outside of our 3 FP+ rides are pretty low. For the kids just being inside the gates is all they want. We were there in October 2013 and it was fantastic as well, we literally had Dumbo to ourselves for over 45 minutes. At the time it was my daughters favorite ride and we just rotated adults from our group to ride with her, the CM didn't even make us get back in line we just stood at the ride gates.

I would love to know which area is best to start in during these crazy weeks.
If you are there early for rope walk or soon after, go to Adventureland and Frontierland. Human nature is to turn to the right at the Hub. But don't tell anyone else.:):)

Upvote 0

PhotoDave219

In my experience, that's a little overstated. There are lots of slow days in April, May, September, October, February and even January and early December. Sure, they aren't as "slow" as they used to be, but what is? Saturdays have become sort of crowded all the time, but I've gone so many times in the last 3 years that I can comfortably say I never wait more than 20 minutes for anything, even if I don't plan very well or use a lot of strategy. The waits just aren't bad because the parks aren't super crowded.

You certainly have to be more mindful of the time you go now and try to avoid hoidays, but it certainly isn't just confined to Tues-Thurs. The only non slow day anymore is Saturday. Generally, Saturdays are pretty busy but they certainly aren't as busy as the busiest times during the holidays.

You contradict yourself in the first two sentences. There are no real slow times whatsoever anymore.

And I'm judging attendance from 2004-2014. The crowd has spread out throughout the entire year - @lentesta 's research (and handy infographic that i cant find) proves this isn't hyperbole or overstated.

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

You contradict yourself in the first two sentences. There are no real slow times whatsoever anymore.

And I'm judging attendance from 2004-2014. The crowd has spread out throughout the entire year - @lentesta 's research (and handy infographic that i cant find) proves this isn't hyperbole or overstated.
I didn't contradict myself...you changed what I wrote. I said there are lots of slow DAYS and I said they aren't AS slow as they used to be, meaning still slow(er) nonetheless. I even clarified my point on Saturday being crowded all the time, but still not as bad as holiday time.

You wanna be argumentative, just move along.

My point was, it's not 365 days of Christmas, even though crowds have grown.

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member

This one?

Crowd-Calendar-Spiral.png

ETA: Ah, that logo might be too much. Mods, let me know if that's over the top promotion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wogwog

For those doing MK tomorrow the 24th, the closing time is changed from 11 to midnight. A sure sign the park projection was missed again.

Upvote 0

PhotoDave219

I didn't contradict myself...you changed what I wrote. I said there are lots of slow DAYS and I said they aren't AS slow as they used to be, meaning still slow(er) nonetheless. I even clarified my point on Saturday being crowded all the time, but still not as bad as holiday time.

You wanna be argumentative, just move along.

My point was, it's not 365 days of Christmas, even though crowds have grown.

I seem to recall you starting the argument. My point - as backed up through independent research and data - is that there are no dead periods anymore, strictly days. If you feel thats me being argumentative, thats your problem.

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

I seem to recall you starting the argument. My point - as backed up through independent research and data - is that there are no dead periods anymore, strictly days. If you feel thats me being argumentative, thats your problem.
I wasn't being a jerk...I just said, "In my experience" and said your original post was a "little overstated." You were argumentative, because you came out with, "You contradicted yourself."

Whatever dude...I'm just going to like your post and move on. We are both right. Crowds have gotten worse, but there are plenty of days and more extended days to enjoy lower crowds.

Upvote 0

wdwjmp239

How do you know when the parks are crowded?
  • When you have to wait for 3 or 4 buses before you get on one to head to the park
  • When you have to wait for 3 or 4 monorails before you get on one to head to the park
  • If you think you're smart by taking your own car to a park - everyone else has the same idea you wind up parking in the nosebleed sections
  • When you do finally get a parking spot in the nosebleed, you have to wait at least 2 or 3 passes of the tram to come pick you up
  • Wait times for something silly as the tea cup ride at MK is at 85 mins
  • Wait times for something major like Soarin or Test Track is past the 3 hour mark
  • When there is a line wrapped around the MK for a Dole Whip
  • Fastpass wait times aren't all that "fast"
This is when you just write your trip off - sit in your hotel room and see about checking out early without penalty (easier for the locals than for our out-of-state visitors).

Upvote 0

hull327

I was there in September 2004 (arriving just after one of the hurricanes went through) and it was amazing.
I went the week after 9/11 and it was an absolute ghost town. Sort of spooky walking down Main St. and it's just you, your wife and maybe 10 other people. In fact, quite a few rides were simply closed.

Upvote 0

hull327

Pretty much it.
Sadly I think you're right. When I just went during this "slow" week in Dec. 2014 we had to get in the park entrance line about 35 minutes before park opening and we were still probably about 40 people deep in our respective line. As soon as the park opened we could fast walk to our favorite ride of that park (EE, ToT, RnRC) and virtually walk right on. Hop off, run back in line for a 5 minute wait, ride it again and then move on to our #2 ride. At about 10AM those rides already had 60-80 minute waits.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

Our last tip was during the typical "slow" time in October and it was pretty crowded. However, We got to the parks at rope drop and casually walked to each ride first thing in the morning. We got to ride everything we wanted with less than 5 to 10 minute waits before the parks got too crowded. It IS manageable.

Upvote 0

Texas84

We used to go first week of December until that week got heavy. Now the family trip is early November, before Thanksgiving hits. No bad. In MK 'off' periods are usually manageable until the kids wake up and make it to the park about noon.

I booked a trip to CBR for F&G to see The Orchestra and didn't realize it was Easter weekend. I'm only going to Epcot so hopefully that won't be too bad. I won't be anywhere near MK. Not even going to try.

Upvote 0

Trevor67

If you are there early for rope walk or soon after, go to Adventureland and Frontierland. Human nature is to turn to the right at the Hub. But don't tell anyone else.:):)

Thank you! In a sea of bickering thank you for responding! :) We may have to hit the Haunted Mansion and Pirates before trekking over to Buzz.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom