Hollywood Studios Park Wide Changes Incoming?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It [DHS] needs something with a boat. And no height requirement.

Here, allow me to make some folks go all twitchy...

Create a Pirate's Land in DHS. A full immersion land. After all, it's supposed to be the park where you can live the movies and PotC is one of Disney's huge franchises. This is where the Shanghai PotC clone will go. Pirate restaurant. Pirate shows. Jedi Pirate training academy. Once that is done, the PotC ride in the MK can be repurposed.

There's your boat ride.

And add a flume.

rushtest4echo

Create a Pirate's Land in DHS. A full immersion land. After all, it's supposed to be the park where you can live the movies and PotC is one of Disney's huge franchises. This is where the Shanghai PotC clone will go. Pirate restaurant. Pirate shows. Jedi Pirate training academy. Once that is done, the PotC ride in the MK can be repurposed.

There's your boat ride.

And add a flume.

I'll take an expanded offering at Adventureland instead (which is coming anyway). Nobody bothers to care, but there are already well done interactive elements relating to Pirates all across the area if you play the little map games. Between the ride, the show, and the game I think Pirates has a fine offering at MK.

S 2

My dream for Indy.... Remove the stunt show and Backlot Express. Have an Indiana Jones mini land with an Egyptian/desert theme. Drawing from the old Lost Expedition plans, build a large show building with two ride -- on the ground floor, a boat road (sort sort of Nile adventure) using the Shanghai POTC tech without a height requirement and mild thrills. Above it, have a more thrilling roller coaster (perhaps mine cars) or something like the EMV in DL where you enter a pyramid and its booby traps. Have there be a show scene where you can see the rides from each other.

Furthermore, you replace Backlot Express with a table service restaurant (I'm envisioning something owned/run by Sallah) and have that overlook the boat ride (a la Blue Bayou or Barbossa’s Bounty).

You can't tell me that it wouldn't be incredibly well received and would be perfect with the new movie planned.
I say, do everything you said, but do it at animal kingdom in a few years... a jungle pyramid with story that emphasize the archaeology and anthropology of dr Jones... the land could be a archaeological camp built next to it complete with animal study sites...but still get rid of Indy and backlot and build a new "land"..

S 2

There's your boat ride.

And add a flume.

I could see this actually working but only if something epic (or 3) replaces it. I want a volcano.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
There quite often is. Things - non specific things - are often pencilled in for year "x" so budgets can be predicted and allocated. Even if they don't know what the "thing" will be yet.

2018 - Toy Story Land
2018 - Begin one other thing at Epcot
2018 - Mission:Space upgrade
2018 - Start doing the stuff we agreed for Tomorrowland
2019 - Gondola
2019 - Some new show in DHS somewhere
2019 - Star Wars Land
2019 - Start doing 15 of 50 things for the 50th Anniversary
2019 - Great Mickey Ride
2019 - Some other thing for Epcot
2019 - Caribbean beach and Coronado expansion
2019 - What country did we decide on for Epcot? Start building that.
2019 - New Epcot night show
2020 - Start doing another 15 of 50 things for 50th Anniversary
2020 - Ratatouille
2020 - Project: Launch Bay New Attraction
2020 - Coco overlay of GFT
2021 - Start doing another 15 of 50 things for 50th Anniversary
2021 - New Electric Light Parade for MK
2021 - Look around for five other things we can say were done for the 50th Anniversary
2021 - New Fireworks show for MK
2021 - Wait, weren't we supposed to do something with Frontierland?
2021 - Start the new GotG ride in Epcot

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
2018 - Toy Story Land
2018 - Begin one other thing at Epcot
2018 - Mission:Space upgrade
2018 - Start doing the stuff we agreed for Tomorrowland
2019 - Gondola
2019 - Some new show in DHS somewhere
2019 - Star Wars Land
2019 - Start doing 15 of 50 things for the 50th Anniversary
2019 - Great Mickey Ride
2019 - Some other thing for Epcot
2019 - Caribbean beach and Coronado expansion
2019 - New Epcot night show
2020 - Start doing another 15 of 50 things for 50th Anniversary
2020 - Ratatouille
2020 - Coco overlay of GFT
2021 - Start doing another 15 of 50 things for 50th Anniversary
2021 - Look around for five other things we can say were done for the 50th Anniversary
2021 - Wait, weren't we supposed to do something with Frontierland?
looks great... don't forget the Muppet Land thing

wdwgreek

As it stands there will probably be more at DHS but not until well into the next decade. As it stands.
Well into next decade, eye roll, the park in the interlude will be like an overstuffed toy, bursting at the seams. I still think DHS can be salvaged from being MK IP park 2.0 but day by day it is getting more and more diluted. The haphazard placement of SWL/ TSL, the awkward existing footprint of the park remaining from the studio days, and finally the future loss of the GMR leaves a hodgepodge mess of a park. I hope that sometime in the next decade the theme can at least be coherent, although I'm struggling to find coherency.

rushtest4echo

I say, do everything you said, but do it at animal kingdom in a few years... a jungle pyramid with story that emphasize the archaeology and anthropology of dr Jones... the land could be a archaeological camp built next to it complete with animal study sites...but still get rid of Indy and backlot and build a new "land"..

This times one hundred billion. Except that they just need to bulldoze dinoland and re-do Dinosaur to Indy. :) The rest of the land can be South America.

Bacon

Let me get this straight and flattened out for some people who doesn't want to read the couple hundred characters so here are the highlights
from @MisterPenguin's post
-----------------------------------------
2020 - Ratatouille
---------------------------------------------------------
There you go all the highlights

clemmo

Any chance we see the new name announced at D23? Also I'm sure this had been mentioned but are the fantasmic updates at DL scheduled to come here at some point maybe once the dust settles a bit from SWL

Bacon

Any chance we see the new name announced at D23? Also I'm sure this had been mentioned but are the fantasmic updates at DL scheduled to come here at some point maybe once the dust settles a bit from SWL
I doubt any of the updates (besides maybe music) is coming to HWS

Daveeeeed

Does anyone know if Commissary lane will get a facade update? As it will look beyond tacky with its backstage theme when Star Wars Land opens next to it.

Daveeeeed

The closest Indy land that could possibly fit into DAK would be similar to what they have over at DisneySea.
@Bacon It could work, but unless they change Animal Kingdom's message to shift focus from mainly nature to also include explorers then it would always feel out of place. Indy deep inside I don't want in AK, but since Dinosaur is a great ride, and there are already too many height requirement rides at AK, why not put it in MK, or HWS? They need it more anyway.

Anyway, circa 2024, AK's next job is adding an attraction to Asia or Dinoland, and either way fixing Dinoland up. Perhaps a highly immersive C/D-Ticket dark ride with no height restriction.

In the distant future, a new continent should happen.

roj2323

Does anyone know if Commissary lane will get a facade update? As it will look beyond tacky with its backstage theme when Star Wars Land opens next to it.
I have this sneaking suspicion that ABC commissary and the lane in front of it will be bulldozed in the next 10 years or so. I don't suspect it will get any major work between now and then other than perhaps some paint and minor adjustments. That said, having been inside and all the way around the building more times than I care to count I have to say the building is in pretty rough shape and is badly in need of a remodel/refresh if it were to stay.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I have this sneaking suspicion that ABC commissary and the lane in front of it will be bulldozed in the next 10 years or so.

That would almost certainly entail razing Sci-Fi Drive In, wouldn't it?

While a crowd favorite, it does hold onto a 1950's 'old Hollywood' vibe (actually, that was the decline of old Hollywood). It would be better suiting for retro space-age futurism of Tomorrowland... if indeed Tomorrowland is keeping that theme.

If Sci-Fi and Commissary goes, then a snaking queue can get from the new SWL to that space for a expansion of SWL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom