Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
How does GOTG fit in with anything in the park, especially a CA theme?
It doesn't really fit at all...until we see the superheroes area developed around it. That is the key...to me at least

Are they going to somehow shoehorn the entire area into some type of futuristic California?
I was under the assumption the CA theme was somewhat dead before this GotG announcement anyways...at least as the overall theme of the park. There is a decent amount in the park that doesn't fit that overall theme but still blends well with the rest. I would like to see this type of blending in this case as well.

it looked and felt like it belonged with other buildings in the park like the Carthay or BV Street.
I think it is set back far enough for it not to have to be a part of the hollywood area anymore. Of course, they should/would need to adjust the transition between the two.

This GOTG ride dramatically changes the skyline of the park. Hey, we're riding a seaside roller coaster...what is that giant futuristic building set well into the future over there.
Sight lines are an issue at any park when you are being lifted high in the air on a ride.

D

Deleted member 107043

How does GOTG fit in with anything in the park, especially a CA theme?

Let's be honest. While I agree with you that the theme may not fit, Disney has rarely been exacting with thematic storylines, especially at DL next door.

Last edited by a moderator:

Californian Elitist

I wish I could send out a public service announcement explaining why Guardians doesn't belong where it's going, because all too many choose to just call people haters and not listen to the actual reasoning. I'm sure you are being sarcastic, but most of the people that are against the move know why it doesn't belong.

Yasssssss! Exactly!

Earl Sweatpants

In thinking about it more and more (not that I should be...alas) I think the biggest problem I have now is just the sheer eye-sore that structure is going to become. It's one thing to overlay a smaller, more hidden ride inside the park, but the tower is an icon. Its image is unparalleled to anything at DCA save for maybe the Mickey Ferris Wheel. That therefore makes GotG the unwilling icon of Marvel land, which I think many would agree, it shouldn't be.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I wish I could send out a public service announcement explaining why Guardians doesn't belong where it's going, because all too many choose to just call people haters and not listen to the actual reasoning. I'm sure you are being sarcastic, but most of the people that are against the move know why it doesn't belong.

Yes, mostly sarcastic. It's more the comments I am seeing via Facebook/Twitter, which is definitely a more GP understanding, or sometimes lack thereof.

I do understand the opposition's reasoning and am worried about the exterior matching DCA's setting. If the execution is great I am for it, if it sucks I am against it. I really am not certain which way it will go though.

Travel Junkie

Yes, mostly sarcastic. It's more the comments I am seeing via Facebook/Twitter, which is definitely a more GP understanding, or sometimes lack thereof.

I do understand the opposition's reasoning and am worried about the exterior matching DCA's setting. If the execution is great I am for it, if it sucks I am against it. I really am not certain which way it will go though.

I'm not optimistic but I hope I'm wrong. Granted it's not the prettiest building, but I was walking around DCA the other day while waiting to see DL Forever for the last time and it really hits you how many places within DCA you can see it and how it fits in. It was woven into the storyline of BVS. Most guests have no clue, but the design of BVS compliments ToT. It fits in rather nicely lurking over Bugs Land. Carsland... well not so much, but I was surprised how it fits in with Paradise Pier. From the Paradise Gardens area you see Palm Trees and the Hollywood Tower of Terror off in the distance that blends in fairly well with a California Pier vibe.

Based on what Guardians is and the concept art we have seen, I just don't see how it can compliment BVS, PP, and Bugs Land.

Curious Constance

I don't know. I think it's a matter of opinion whether or not it currently compliments its surroundings or not. To me, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It really doesn't bother me personally because those things tend not to, but still a haunted hotel that looks like a big vanilla wafer cookie isn't doing the park any aesthetic favors in its current state in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 107043

DCA is currently at the top of Facebook's trending topics driven by the ToT announcements of course...

Capture.PNG

mickEblu

Kind of sad that this whole overlay is making headlines not because people are excited but because of how many people think it's a dumb idea. It's funny though, I don't think there would be nearly as much publicity had they just announced a brand new GOTG ride in the back lot. Of course this is conjecture, but I think this shows that people aren't begging for a GOTG attraction. Would we all take one? Sure. But I'll take any "new" E ticket.

My ideal situation would be for all of Marvel land to go in the backlot and the current bus area rumored to be up for expansion. A GOTG simulator type ride instead of iron man could have gone in the backlot and the Cap coaster in the expansion area. That still seems like a good sized land and would have avoided what appears to be a weird layout for Marvel land with the Hyperion and animation building between GOTG and the rest of the land. Most importantly TOT would have Been Left alone. Of course that's me ignoring the main purpose this being done at all. To get Marvel in the parks ASAP.

castevious

Kind of sad that this whole overlay is making headlines not because people are excited but because of how many people think it's a dumb idea. It's funny though, I don't think there would be nearly as much publicity had they just announced a brand new GOTG ride in the back lot. Of course this is conjecture, but I think this shows that people aren't begging for a GOTG attraction. Would we all take one? Sure. But I'll take any "new" E ticket.

My ideal situation would be for all of Marvel land to go in the backlot and the current bus area rumored to be up for expansion. A GOTG simulator type ride instead of iron man could have gone in the backlot and the Cap coaster in the expansion area. That still seems like a good sized land and would have avoided what appears to be a weird layout for Marvel land with the Hyperion and animation building between GOTG and the rest of the land. Most importantly TOT would have Been Left alone. Of course that's me ignoring the main purpose this being done at all. To get Marvel in the parks ASAP.
I think all of this negative feedback on the changes have helped Disney out. There really is no such thing as bad publicity and a lot of people are now talking not only about the Tower of Terror but about Guardians of the Galaxy and Marvel. That's free publicity for three different things. It's funny how we will hate a change so much that we will give in and go on the new ride because we want to see if we were right.

mickEblu

I think all of this negative feedback on the changes have helped Disney out. There really is no such thing as bad publicity and a lot of people are now talking not only about the Tower of Terror but about Guardians of the Galaxy and Marvel. That's free publicity for three different things. It's funny how we will hate a change so much that we will give in and go on the new ride because we want to see if we were right.

I agree that there's no such thing as bad publicity (to an extent) but it's not like Disney is hurting and they needed it and it's definitely not why they made the decision to overlay the tower. But your right, I'll be there to ride it and Im pretty sure I'll enjoy it even if just for the thrill factor. However, I don't think I'll enjoy the overall experience of GOTG more than TOT and it's hard for me to believe it will complement its surroundings and the rest of the park better than than the Hollywood Tower. Hotel.

A part of me wishes they made up some lame back story of the Guardians crash landing earth and ending up in the tower. That would of allowed the facade to stick around as well as the distorted jazz in the queue and most importantly, the huge tower would still fit in its surroundings.

I still can't figure out why this couldn't have been a temporary overlay. They could still get all the same buzz and synergy with the sequel but keep a beloved and classic attraction. Just look at how popular Haunted Mansion Holiday is every year. In fact, I think doing something similar with Tower every year would keep the interest peaking throughout the year. Eventually the buzz for GOTG will die down and lines will be similar to what they are now. But if they split GOTG and TOT every year. 6 months each or even 8 and 4, that would be a no lose situation. Oh well.

The only way a temporary overlay doesn't make sense is if the plan is to completely get rid of Hollywoodland.

castevious

I agree that there's no such thing as bad publicity (to an extent) but it's not like Disney is hurting and they needed it and it's definitely not why they made the decision to overlay the tower. But your right, I'll be there to ride it and Im pretty sure I'll enjoy it even if just for the thrill factor. However, I don't think I'll enjoy the overall experience of GOTG more than TOT and it's hard for me to believe it will complement its surroundings and the rest of the park better than than the Hollywood Tower. Hotel.

A part of me wishes they made up some lame back story of the Guardians crash landing earth and ending up in the tower. That would of allowed the facade to stick around as well as the distorted jazz in the queue and most importantly, the huge tower would still fit in its surroundings.

I still can't figure out why this couldn't have been a temporary overlay. They could still get all the same buzz and synergy with the sequel but keep a beloved and classic attraction. Just look at how popular Haunted Mansion Holiday is every year. In fact, I think doing something similar with Tower every year would keep the interest peaking throughout the year. Eventually the buzz for GOTG will die down and lines will be similar to what they are now. But if they split GOTG and TOT every year. 6 months each or even 8 and 4, that would be a no lose situation. Oh well.

The only way a temporary overlay doesn't make sense is if the plan is to completely get rid of Hollywoodland.
I think it's because of the rumored Marvel land and expansion. I'm guessing this means most of the Hollywood theme will eventually be removed. Because of that, they probably feel the ToT's Hollywood theme wouldn't fit in. Plus as others have mentioned, this is a cheaper, not cheap, but cheaper and quicker way to get a Marvel themed attraction in the parks.

mickEblu

I think it's because of the rumored Marvel land and expansion. I'm guessing this means most of the Hollywood theme will eventually be removed. Because of that, they probably feel the ToT's Hollywood theme wouldn't fit in. Plus as others have mentioned, this is a cheaper, not cheap, but cheaper and quicker way to get a Marvel themed attraction in the parks.

But it can't be cheaper than a temporary overlay that would probably generate the same amount of interest as the permanent version.

Hollywoodland being removed Is the best theory on why a temporary overlay wasn't chosen but it would be hard to believe. I would hate to see the red car trolley and animation building go.

castevious

But it can't be cheaper than a temporary overlay that would probably generate the same amount of interest as the permanent version.

Hollywoodland being removed Is the best theory on why a temporary overlay wasn't chosen but it would be hard to believe. I would hate to see the red car trolley and animation building go.
It's not cheaper than an overlay, it's cheaper than building a separate attraction for Guardians of the Galaxy from scratch.

Also, I think that street might not get touch but who knows.

mickEblu

It's not cheaper than an overlay, it's cheaper than building a separate attraction for Guardians of the Galaxy from scratch.

Also, I think that street might not get touch but who knows.

Right but we were talking about why a temporary overlay wasn't chosen over a permanent overlay of the the tower. Not why they did not build an attraction from scratch.

castevious

Right but we were talking about why a temporary overlay wasn't chosen over a permanent overlay of the the tower. Not why they did not build an attraction from scratch.
Exactly. You asked why a temporary overlay wasn't chosen, that's why. It's because Disney wanted a permanent attraction, it is cheaper to change out ToT than build one from scratch. I needed to say that in order to support why they are not doing a temporary overlay. They want a permanent attraction.

mickEblu

Exactly. You asked why a temporary overlay wasn't chosen, that's why. It's because Disney wanted a permanent attraction, it is cheaper to change out ToT than build one from scratch. I needed to say that in order to support why they are not doing a temporary overlay. They want a permanent attraction.

We know they want a permanent attraction because that's what they re doing. What I'm saying is, if the whole point of this overlay is getting Marvel in the parks cheaper and faster, nothing would accomplish this more than a temporary overlay. I really think it would generate roughly the same amount of interest as the permanent overlay. In addition, there are also the benefits I mentioned before, switching back and forth between GOTG and TOT would keep interest high all year and allow for more merchandise sales. This leads me to believe that getting Marvel in the parks cheaper and faster is not the primary motivation for this overlay but instead it's the long term plan of Marvel land taking over Hollywoodland, completely. Otherwise I don't see how the Tower makes an sense between the Hyperion and animation building.

castevious

We know they want a permanent attraction because that's what they re doing. What I'm saying is, if the whole point of this overlay is getting Marvel in the parks cheaper and faster, nothing would accomplish this more than a temporary overlay. I really think it would generate roughly the same amount of interest as the permanent overlay. In addition, there are also the benefits I mentioned before, switching back and forth between GOTG and TOT would keep interest high all year and allow for more merchandise sales. This leads me to believe that getting Marvel in the parks cheaper and faster is not the primary motivation for this overlay but instead it's the long term plan of Marvel land taking over Hollywoodland, completely. Otherwise I don't see how the Tower makes an sense between the Hyperion and animation building.
It's also a combination of getting Marvel into the parks and getting it done by the time the second movie comes out this May. It can't be a coincidence this is the date they gave themselves.

mickEblu

It's also a combination of getting Marvel into the parks and getting it done by the time the second movie comes out this May. It can't be a coincidence this is the date they gave themselves.

Yeah, I guess you could consider the GOTG attraction opening at DCA in conjunction with the movie as phase one in a long term plan. But like I said, this could be accomplished with a temporary overlay. They re killing two birds with one stone. They re making sure they are not missing out on synergy (regardless of the warehouse/ museum/ power plant sticking out like a sore thumb) and at the same time working towards their future plans for that section of the park which is why this overlay was green lit. I don't think a permanent attraction taking over the Tower would have been green lit if Marvel land (and possibly the phasing out of Hollywoodland) wasn't in the works regardless of GOTG 2 coming out.

castevious

Yeah, I guess you could consider the GOTG attraction opening at DCA in conjunction with the movie as phase one in a long term plan. But like I said, this could be accomplished with a temporary overlay. They re killing two birds with one stone. They re making sure they are not missing out on synergy (regardless of the warehouse/ museum/ power plant sticking out like a sore thumb) and at the same time working towards their future plans for that section of the park which is why this overlay was green lit. I don't think a permanent attraction taking over the Tower would have been green lit if Marvel land (and possibly the phasing out of Hollywoodland) wasn't in the works regardless of GOTG 2 coming out.
Exactly. You put those two reasons with the theory of Marvel taking over Hollywood Land and the theory becomes stronger and more likely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom