Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Travel Junkie

Any company that uses emotional marketing tools like nostalgia are going to be subject to backlash when they make a decision that goes against that marketing.

A big part of Disney marketing promotes thematic integrity and the lengths they go to get it right. Joe Rhode taking field trips to the Himalayas just to get all the artifacts at AK right. Going to so much expense to get just the right kind of look on the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train cars to match the look of the wood the Dwarfs would have used. Countless videos, interviews, and posts about these details. It shouldn't surprise Disney at all when those fans call shenanigans when they break their own rules they go to so much trouble promoting.

mickEblu

I don't know I'm not privileged to that official internal report. How do you know those were the numbers?

Shoot , I totally thought you were going to be able to share the official report.

...just a rough estimate of what I'm seeing on social media.

Miceberg

I don't have access to stuff like official reports either, but the neutral numbers that were stated in the meeting were higher than 20%

Miceberg

I'll see what I can do to get the actual numbers, but since I was told once it may seem suspicious if I ask again. I'm not very good at being sneaky.:angelic:

D

Deleted member 107043

Leotas crystal ball tells me that the fans complaining about the GOTG overlay are not the same as the ones who complain about a paint change or a light bulb being out in coke corner.

Anyone who has ever worked in a big organization, especially a large multi-media company, knows that these types of decisions are usually aligned with larger initiatives, and the flash in the pan online uprisings, petitions, and empty threats from passionate fans aren't enough to sway important business decisions. GoTG 2 comes out next summer, so good luck trying to stop this change from happening.

"I've been going to that churro cart ever since I was a kid, and now it's gone. Disney is ruining my childhood memories."

I remember reading an article way back in the 80s in which Michael Eisner stated that one of his biggest surprises at Disney at the time was the emotional attachment people had to seemingly minor details at Disneyland. He gave an example of how many complaints the company once received because a bench was moved in the Hub. Crazy stuff.

I feel like someone may have padded those numbers to not make their decision seem so bad.

Conspiracy theories now? Really?

Last edited by a moderator:

Miceberg

I was able to get the info much faster than I thought although they did ask me why...so I made something up that pretty much fooled no one...this is more or less correct from what they remember (and their brain is pretty young so the memory still works well). A whopping 65% were neutral over the re-theme with the remaining 35% split as follows, 29% negative and 6% positive.
This is feedback from the Parks Blog only, it doesn't take into account twitter,facebook etc.

D

Deleted member 107043

I was able to get the info much faster than I thought although they did ask me why...so I made something up that pretty much fooled no one...this is more or less correct from what they remember (and their brain is pretty young so the memory still works well). A whopping 65% were neutral over the re-theme with the remaining 35% split as follows, 29% negative and 6% positive.
This is feedback from the Parks Blog only, it doesn't take into account twitter,facebook etc.

You are doing the Lord's work. Thank you.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Any company that uses emotional marketing tools like nostalgia are going to be subject to backlash when they make a decision that goes against that marketing.

A big part of Disney marketing promotes thematic integrity and the lengths they go to get it right. Joe Rhode taking field trips to the Himalayas just to get all the artifacts at AK right. Going to so much expense to get just the right kind of look on the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train cars to match the look of the wood the Dwarfs would have used. Countless videos, interviews, and posts about these details. It shouldn't surprise Disney at all when those fans call shenanigans when they break their own rules they go to so much trouble promoting.

yup

but I don't think Disney would be suprised by any of this at all. They probably just take the mindset of 'we know better, and in a few years all will be forgiven and forgotten and everyone will love the new stuff still'

Last edited:

Sketch105

I just love how Tower of Terror was built at DCA as a plug-in attraction to grab attendance in a declining park. It was a higher capacity but slightly cheaper version of what we have in Florida, and many fans were quick to point that out. Now they're re-theming, and people are lighting up pitchforks over a "classic" attraction, even on this coast. They know we'll still have it in Florida right? The only people who should be upset are California locals.

George Lucas on a Bench

I went into the dinky Tower at DCA expecting it to be cheaper, but it really isn't that bad. It's easily the best part of the whole Hollywood Pictures Backlot, but that isn't saying much when the rest is crap. It doesn't have the crazy Hollywood hills landscaping and elaborate outdor queue like MGM's, but it's still cool. The changes to the ride don't really detract from it either. Really, MGM's was ruined when they replaced the lapbars with the seat belts. It's too safe now.

MagicHappens1971

Disney can't put Marvel in Orlando because of Islands of Adventure. Plus can we call Marvel Land Marvel City instead?
Just reading this thread so I'm sure this has already been replied to, but GOTG can go to WDW. And DL can not use the name Marvel, so it won't be Marvel Land, Marvel City, Marvel World, ect. It will have to be something creative.

dweezil78

Really, MGM's was ruined when they replaced the lapbars with the seat belts. It's too safe now.

You think so? I always thought it felt the other way around with the lap bars as you had something to hold onto tightly during the drop. Now all you have are those little grips on the side. Maybe the air time was better w/ the lap bars, but the seat belts definitely aren't the tightest.

SSG

MiceChat had this in their rumor update today

Speaking of Guardians of the Galaxy, the plan is to fully enclose the Tower of Terror’s exterior queue and wall in the elevator doors that open to a view of the parks during the ride. The current exterior garden queue will become a mood-setting indoor queue space before visitors enter the plot explaining pre-show in the current lobby and library area, and then move on to The Collector’s museum exhibits in what is now the Boiler Room part of Tower of Terror’s queue. The elevators, re-themed as emergency escape space vehicles, will then travel up and down the shafts in randomized show sequences. A half dozen different show sequences are now planned, all with different music, dialogue and visuals. The elevator doors at the top of the building will still open, but riders will no longer be looking out over the Resort. Instead, they will peer into a video projection room meant to look like the vastness of outer space as the final scene unfolds. There won’t be much left of the Tower of Terror experience you know, except for the sudden up and down drop motions.

This construction will begin soon with scaffolding going up on the sides and back end of the Tower of Terror, while the ride continues to operate with an uncovered front side through the end of this year. The back side will be heavily rethemed as the eventual plan is to expand DCA into the parking lot between it and the Cars Land area. Future park visitors will ultimately be able to walk around the west and south facing sides of the Guardians attraction, so WDI is going far beyond the plain walls that Paul Pressler approved for construction in his rushed panic to get Tower of Terror into a failing DCA in the early 2000’s.

http://micechat.com/136176-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-monorail/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom