Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

D

Deleted member 107043

But also, like I said earlier, its an attempt to soften the blow of the ride being lost forever...

And an attempt to capitalize on increased interest in the ride before it closes. Kind of like the MSEP "Glowing Away" promotion year ago. Never underestimate Disney's marketing machine.

Earl Sweatpants

And an attempt to capitalize on increased interest in the ride before it closes. Kind of like the MSEP "Glowing Away" promotion year ago. Never underestimate Disney's marketing machine.

Although I wonder if the people who are trying to squeeze in as many "drops" as they can before the ride closes really need that extra incentive...

D

Deleted member 107043

They don't, but Disney's marketing team has to have a "hook" to get the word out that ToT is closing somehow. I expect this to be promoted beyond the LA/OC market.

LongLiveTheKing

Shoot , I totally thought you were going to be able to share the official report.

...just a rough estimate of what I'm seeing on social media.
As moronic and short sighted of a decision the giant blue lunchbox viewable everywhere replacing one of the best examples of immersion in rides in the world is, that is still just social media. Well less than even 1% of park goers.

D

Deleted member 107043

Welp, whatever their strategy is it's working, at least for the moment anyway. Look what's currently a top trending news item on Facebook.

Capture.PNG

BrianLo

it was trending on twitter as well, mostly with negative feedback.

I have a sneaking suspicion a chunk of the GP think it is being torn down, not overlayed. Disney would be better served to keep calling it the Tower of Terror and fully drop that mission breakout line.

I also wish I could send out a public service announcement to the internet that Walt Disney did not personally design and erect ToT. Our villainous Paul Pressler should get all the credit for something that has become park canon to many.

Of course, the final thing I wish the Internet could acknowledge is that Twilight Zone is an IP. Precisely the long forgotten, flash in a pan, limited to a Disney ride IP that fans fear GoTG will become.

Phroobar

I have a sneaking suspicion a chunk of the GP think it is being torn down, not overlayed. Disney would be better served to keep calling it the Tower of Terror and fully drop that mission breakout line.

I also wish I could send out a public service announcement to the internet that Walt Disney did not personally design and erect ToT. Our villainous Paul Pressler should get all the credit for something that has become park canon to many.

Of course, the final thing I wish the Internet could acknowledge is that Twilight Zone is an IP. Precisely the long forgotten, flash in a pan, limited to a Disney ride IP that fans fear GoTG will become.
That's crazy talk! Everyone knows that Walt Disney himself dreamed up the Tower of Terror story line and ride while producing the Twilight Zone tv show that was shown during the Wonderful World of Disney. Originally they wanted Bobby from the Mickey Mouse club to host the show but he was sick the day of filming so they got one of the writers to host. The ride's design is the crowning achievement of WDI. Bob Gurr designed the futuristic elevator concept. Before that people had to take the stairs. This invention made it possible to populate the upper floors of the Empire State building in New York. Disney also believed in theming only the on stage part of the building. Why waste money on a part of the building only cast members see when it could be used inside for more cobwebs.

Travel Junkie

I wish I could send out a public service announcement explaining why Guardians doesn't belong where it's going, because all too many choose to just call people haters and not listen to the actual reasoning. I'm sure you are being sarcastic, but most of the people that are against the move know why it doesn't belong.

Stevek

I wish I could send out a public service announcement explaining why Guardians doesn't belong where it's going, because all too many choose to just call people haters and not listen to the actual reasoning. I'm sure you are being sarcastic, but most of the people that are against the move know why it doesn't belong.
Some WDW people out there seem to be ok with it because it's inferior to theirs. They seem to think that if you've ever ridden the WDW version (I have, it's better) then there is no reason you should ever complain about this one going away, completely discounting that most folks enjoy it out here exactly how it is, regardless of what was built anywhere else. They also pretty much discount the whole challenge many of us have thematically yet they have their own challenges with rumored GOTG ride replacing Energy in EPCOT Center.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Some WDW people out there seem to be ok with it because it's inferior to theirs. They seem to think that if you've ever ridden the WDW version (I have, it's better) then there is no reason you should ever complain about this one going away, completely discounting that most folks enjoy it out here exactly how it is, regardless of what was built anywhere else. They also pretty much discount the whole challenge many of us have thematically yet they have their own challenges with rumored GOTG ride replacing Energy in EPCOT Center.

If the whole surrounding area is going to be a Marvel-superheroes themed area eventually, what is the problem theme wise? That it backs up against a 1920s hollywoodland?

Stevek

If the whole surrounding area is going to be a Marvel-superheroes themed area eventually, what is the problem theme wise? That it backs up against a 1920s hollywoodland?
Yet to be seen. How does GOTG fit in with anything in the park, especially a CA theme? Are they going to somehow shoehorn the entire area into some type of futuristic California? TOT was set in Hollywood, it looked and felt like it belonged with other buildings in the park like the Carthay or BV Street. This GOTG ride dramatically changes the skyline of the park. Hey, we're riding a seaside roller coaster...what is that giant futuristic building set well into the future over there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom