Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

nevol

Is it just me or does the external queue look like its getting work and maybe even enclosed a bit...

I don't see any evidence of enclosure. All the scaffolding up around the lower portions of the lobby and entrance are where they are adding heavy cornices to give the illusion of flat roofs; Really, the A-framed roofs above the lobby are still there, they've just put massive slanted walls around them.

The lower half/front of the show building is now a focal point, whereas before, it lacked ornamentation, having less so than the upper area which at least had the burn marks of the disappeared hotel wings. Looks more ornamental/or at least dimensional than the model we saw a few months back. Maybe an equal number of pipes and grading, but the pipes look more pronounced than before. Overall, they added several setbacks with height, than were ever there (before, that front wall was just flat with two balconies/windows between the disappeared upper level and the A frame lobby level).

No Name

When this was in the rumor stage, I had always assumed that it would keep Tower of Terror in the name. I never thought otherwise. Then, when it was announced, I got to cringe not only at a poor mistake, but also at a tacky, messy ride name. "Guardians of the Galaxy -- Mission: BREAKOUT!"

I actually kind of like how the exterior looks, which I won't go into now. But for as much as they've changed the outside, it still feels somewhat like a Tower of Terror in disguise. That's inevitable, there's only so much they can do without changing it structurally. It is still a giant t-shaped tower.

However, if they were to simply call it the Guardians of the Galaxy Tower of Terror, or The Collector's Tower of Terror, it wouldn't feel like they're hiding anything. Instead, they'd be acknowledging and owning the fact that this is a redress of the old ride. Plus, I imagine many people will still call it the Tower of Terror anyway, so why create extra trouble? Tokyo's version looks much different and doesn't use The Twilight Zone, yet it is still holds the ToT name. In a similar vein, DCA's would be another unique version.

I was about to say that every tower would be unique, but it looks like Paris's version is about to fall victim to GotG. They announced a 2.1 billion euro (about 2.25 billion dollar) investment over the next 10 years on Thursday, without many details. But one of the few things they did say specifically is that Marvel attractions will be coming to WDSP. So yeah... given that the resort is now, I believe, about 90% owned by Disney, I don't think their Twilight Zone theme stands a chance of surviving. I just hope they don't name it Guardians of the Galaxy -- Mission: BREAKOUT!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

DSP could use a major overhaul, and Marvel could be the thing that finally tips the scales.

Figments Friend

For those interested.....

Build-a-Bear Workshop, the well known place where you can make your own stuffed animal, will be doing a tie-in related to 'Guardians of the Galaxy' in the coming weeks.
Since there is a location at Downtown Disney, I felt worth mentioning here.

The promotion relates to the new 'Volume 2 ' film, and in the case of the DTD location, the new DCA Attraction.
Build-a-Bear will be offering a stuff-your-own Rocket Raccoon, mini Groot plush, and costumes of the other 'Guardians' characters to dress plush animals up in.
All the product looks well done, exspecially the Rocket plush.

There may also be a in-store special event weekend as well.

Thought it worth mentioning.
Now back to our regularly scheduled thread....

-

SMLR

For some strange reason, I'm actually starting to like this new look.
IMG_8164.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't see any evidence of enclosure. All the scaffolding up around the lower portions of the lobby and entrance are where they are adding heavy cornices to give the illusion of flat roofs; Really, the A-framed roofs above the lobby are still there, they've just put massive slanted walls around them.

The lower half/front of the show building is now a focal point, whereas before, it lacked ornamentation, having less so than the upper area which at least had the burn marks of the disappeared hotel wings. Looks more ornamental/or at least dimensional than the model we saw a few months back. Maybe an equal number of pipes and grading, but the pipes look more pronounced than before. Overall, they added several setbacks with height, than were ever there (before, that front wall was just flat with two balconies/windows between the disappeared upper level and the A frame lobby level).

Actually I never said enclosure, I said "enclosed a bit", a big difference...

And it looks like they are actually adding to the external queue to make it more enclosed:

Issued BLD2017-00875 STEPHANIE BERRY 1515 S HARBOR BLVD 313 (TOWER OF TERROR) DCA - Hollywoodland - Guardians of Galaxy - Tenant Improvement: Add decorative metal roof to existing exterior trellis over guest queue.

D

Deleted member 107043

I cannot get over the black stripe. Why did they leave a chunk of the building black? I can't figure it out

I think you may be trying too hard to rationalize the design. It's strictly a comic book fantasy and therefore doesn't necessarily warrant tough scrutiny. It's a museum for this guy:

The-Collector-Guardians-header.jpg

Looks about what one might expect, black stripe and all.

GiveMeTheMusic

I think you may be trying too hard to rationalize the design. It's strictly comic book fantasy and doesn't necessarily warrant tough scrutiny. It's a museum for this guy:

The-Collector-Guardians-header.jpg

Looks about what one might expect, black stripe and all.

I would disagree. The Collector is a fanatic. Why would he leave an undecorated black painted stripe down his power plant/fortress/warehouse/museum?

It's pretty obvious from the Imagineer interviews so far that no one can actually justify the exterior design. They don't know what it is, there is no unifying purpose. It's just KABOOM!, which is not a theme.

Magenta Panther

For those interested.....

Build-a-Bear Workshop, the well known place where you can make your own stuffed animal, will be doing a tie-in related to 'Guardians of the Galaxy' in the coming weeks.
Since there is a location at Downtown Disney, I felt worth mentioning here.

The promotion relates to the new 'Volume 2 ' film, and in the case of the DTD location, the new DCA Attraction.
Build-a-Bear will be offering a stuff-your-own Rocket Raccoon, mini Groot plush, and costumes of the other 'Guardians' characters to dress plush animals up in.
All the product looks well done, exspecially the Rocket plush.

There may also be a in-store special event weekend as well.

Thought it worth mentioning.
Now back to our regularly scheduled thread....

-

Will the raccoon plush toy come with its own plush gun? :p

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would disagree. The Collector is a fanatic. Why would he leave an undecorated black painted stripe down his power plant/fortress/warehouse/museum?

It's pretty obvious from the Imagineer interviews so far that no one can actually justify the exterior design. They don't know what it is, there is no unifying purpose. It's just KABOOM!, which is not a theme.

The Collector is from a group of Marvel characters known as the Elders of the Universe. These are beings that are older than anything in the universe, forming from the early days of the Big Bang. They are often described as being the most eccentric of all beings. As with all eccentric beings, they often have no need for conventional things like themes, uniformity, or even a unifying purpose.

That is the whole point of the KABOOM! description that Joe R. gave.

We will be meeting a new Elder in the MCU in the form of The Grandmaster in Thor: Ragnarok in November.

mickEblu

Can we talk about the show scenes for a sec? I hope that they include some practical effects like the Star field in TOT and at least some physical sets in the foreground. A tiny Rocket AA should be a no brainer as I imagine it wouldn't be a huge undertaking and as the star of the attractions plot, he should be in the foreground somehow.

mickEblu

The Collector is from a group of Marvel characters known as the Elders of the Universe. These are beings that are older than anything in the universe, forming from the early days of the Big Bang. They are often described as being the most eccentric of all beings. As with all eccentric beings, they often have no need for conventional things like themes, uniformity, or even a unifying purpose.

That is the whole point of the KABOOM! description that Joe R. gave.

We will be meeting a new Elder in the MCU in the form of The Grandmaster in Thor: Ragnarok in November.

No "kaboom" was just an acknowledgment that the GOTG tower looks extremely out of place as well as an attempt to make it make any sort of sense.

EDIT: ... with the primary agenda being a creative person with a great reputation in the industry trying to save face.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
buildings are shaped a way for a purpose... the problem here is they can't articulate why this is what it is.. and so its always going to stick out to people as forced since we know the prior use. They need to solve that for people to start to accept it's physical presence.. forget the adornments...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom