Trip Report Grandkids and Cat Tails and Banshees, OH MY!!!

We're 3 days returned from another amazing magical memory making trip to WDW, and Boy, have I learned a lot, laughed a lot and shook my head a lot on this trip.
If you've followed my PTR ( accidentally posted in the TR's ,oops, entitled "No Parents Allowed ") then you know this was a first time trip for Nana and Grampa,( that's us,) to take our 3 middle Grands to The World without Moms or Dads.
The kids had just learned to enjoy the "thrill rides" on a family trip in June, so this was a last trip before school starts to hit all those new favorites again, but, also, to do some things we've never experienced and to revisit a few from their/ our past.

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men... ( and apparently Grandparents )

Suffice to say, we:
Learned a little: ( You can never pack too much Gatorade or chocolate chip pancakes ):hungry:
Taught a little: ( Its never to early to teach kids the democratic process,LOL )
Had some firsts: ( Cheshire Cat Tails are so YUMMY!!!):cat:
Had some favorites: ( Joffrey's, and Pod Burgers, 'nuf said)
Did some repeats and threpeats : ( the kids ping ponged back & forth between ToT/RRC):hilarious:
Laughed and Loved a Lot.

We didn't get the whole wish list done, but that's all the more reason to plan the next trip.

So sit back, relax and follow along for our 5 day adventure.

To Be continued

12in12

I love the military style operation for getting out the door! I might have to steal that for my next family vacation when I have to organize 12 people.:eek:

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
DAY 2 EPCOT and The Night of the Banshee
Part 2:
Well, it's park closing time at H.S. I'd like to stay to watch fireworks, not on the offical itinerary of" 2 must do's per person" ,but, it was on my mental wish list anyways, does that count?o_O
I'm not putting this to a vote, I'll go along with the group concensus, A.K's open till 12, let's go.
A little backstory here so you understand what's about to happen.
Our 13 year old Grandson had asked his Mom ( our DD ) for a Banshee, ( apparently this is the latest hot ticket must have item from WDW marketing ) on the trip in June, but, they were sold out, SURPRISE !!:rolleyes:
The 13 year old really wants to carry his around to all the parks so it can be in the pictures with him.
So, she's given us $$ and asked us to buy the boys a Banshee, she's checked, they're avaialbe and only $40.00:facepalm: each. Okay.....
So off we go to Windtraders, the kids spy the wall of Banshees,and we're in line for, are you ready for this, "Banshee adoption class":banghead: Ugghhh,there is a line of people waiting to get into the class with 2 sales people who let you pick out your" adoptee" and then teach you how to care for it, train it and interact with it:rolleyes:. Can we fast forward to when the big people pay for it?
Well, the kids went thru the paces , and of course, we got one for our Granddaughter who was just as excited as the boys. Here they are with their new Banshees in their Banshee Rookeries, aka, a box!!!:confused:
banshee boxes.jpg

So, now the hard part, I step into the line to pay and when the clerk says $198.00 I ask if she rang up an extra Banshee or 2. " No, just these 3." Okay.......:eek:
I guess during 48 hours these little guys have almost doubled in price? Whatever... the kids are floating on air, I've mentally given myself and my wallet a big congratulations for not keeling over in public, and off we go heading to EE, there's no chance to do FoP or Navi boat ride, even at 10:45. WOW!!!
So here's the team with their new critters.
cailyn and matilda.jpg
patty with rooker.jpg
paulie and bansh.jpg

Oh, yeah, names: Matilda, Rooker and Bansh!!
Headed for EE, but discovered that unlike June, when AK was open till 1 a.m. and the entire park was still open, only Pandora is open after 10p.m. Okay......
I'm exhausted, so is DH, I'm pretty sure the kids adrenaline high is going to bottom out soon anyways, so, it's all good, let's go home for the night. Tomorrow, after all, is another day...
asleep after day2.jpg

Thanks for following along, TBC tomorrow, Day 3: MK and Rope Drop, ( yeah right ) Best Laid Plans.....;)

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Love your report so far! Like @dclfan, I have nothing but the best memories of going to Disney with my Grandma...she took me on my very first trip when I was 6 and her love of the most magical place on Earth has stuck with me ever since! The first time I went without her in 2014, I cried (at 28 years old!) walking into MK because she wasn't there so I had to FaceTime her! And now we're planning when to take my new little girl because she said she has to see her first trip to Disney!

And I feel you on the ToT picture...in the two times my husband has MADE me ride it, I look even more terrified than you!
I loved reading this, another special relationship with a Grandparent, and you just can't pay for the amazing memories that you and @MegRuss626 and @dclfan have. I can't wait to hear about your trip with your Gram and your new little girl to The World. Congrats, and thanks for following along. Keep spreading the pixie dust.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
I love the military style operation for getting out the door! I might have to steal that for my next family vacation when I have to organize 12 people.:eek:
Yikes!! I hope you can remind yourself of all the love in your heart @RedNoseMickey , I had a ball with my troopers, and DH and I would do this again in a heart beat, we got so much joy it can't be articulated properly.:joyfull:

12in12

Yikes!! I hope you can remind yourself of all the love in your heart @RedNoseMickey , I had a ball with my troopers, and DH and I would do this again in a heart beat, we got so much joy it can't be articulated properly.:joyfull:

That is so sweet. It makes me wish I had had a nice grandmother.
Our family vacation will be at Christmas and it will be 3 generations all together for the first and probably last time. It will be great and it helps that I can use Snark mode when needed.;)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Is your granddaughter holding your hand in the ToT picture? If so, that is so sweet! ToT is definitely one ride I plan on never experiencing. And although I will do many things for my DD (she really wanted to do the London Eye which I did finally take her on but I sat in the middle of our pod with my eyes closed!) ToT is out of the question as is RC Racer in DLP.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
That is so sweet. It makes me wish I had had a nice grandmother.
Our family vacation will be at Christmas and it will be 3 generations all together for the first and probably last time. It will be great and it helps that I can use Snark mode when needed.;)
LOL, 3 generations is such a blessing, wow! We had that for my now 13 year old grandson's 10th birthday, we got a pic of me, my Mom, my DD and my 10 yr old Grand daughter, ( then 7 ) It too, was a first and last, kind of bittersweet. I wish you much joy @RedNoseMickey , and good thing about being able to unleash the Mom Snark, sometimes, that really helps!

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Is your granddaughter holding your hand in the ToT picture? If so, that is so sweet! ToT is definitely one ride I plan on never experiencing. And although I will do many things for my DD (she really wanted to do the London Eye which I did finally take her on but I sat in the middle of our pod with my eyes closed!) ToT is out of the question as is RC Racer in DLP.
Yes,@Swissmiss , she is most definitly holding my hand.:joyfull: She wanted me to open my eyes and watch everything, but, like you, they were squeezed shut!! No shame on either of us, we did what we had to do and then some:D

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
DAY 3: Magic Kingdom

Well, the plan was always to do MK on the day that it had late night EMH, matching t shirts to be worn by DGD,DH and yours truly, start it off at Rope Drop, ( we all enjoyed the Let the Magic Begin show in June ) do 1 "side" of the park during the day, take a break, and return for the other "side" of the park. But, as I've said, The best laid plans...o_O
The team was ready and out the door at 07:45, bus stop was around the corner from our building. Sounds good, right, well, that's going to come back to haunt me....soon...

Here we are in our "Powered By.. " t shirts.

dusney t shirts.jpg
cailyn me t shirts.jpg
The first MK bus was loaded, didn't stop, and we saw on the schedule board the next one wasn't due for 20 minutes, not wanting to hit the same snag, we took the very next bus to Epcot. A win win, or so we thought, you get a "ride" and it's getting you closer to your destination. Okay....
Apparently everyone and their Mother had the same idea as us, b.c. once we went from Epcot to TTC, ( deceptively smoothly, I might add ) we hit the human wall of other like minded geniuses queing up for the TTC to MK ride. Yikes!! I have to do a little thinikng about our bus stop and timing before tomorrow.:confused:

Well, it was only 9:10 as we strolled/ran/got carried along, into the park of all parks, and of course we had to stop for a quick pic with Roy and Minnie.
kids with roy.jpg

us in t shirts 2.jpg
The kids ran ahead of us to the Adventureland/Frontierland side of the park and stopped at The Swiss Family Treehouse, ( that was a must do for DGD ) then Banshees flying, on to Aladdin's Carpet Ride, BTMRR and Splash Mntn.
splash mntn 1st mk day.jpeg

aladdin bansees.jpg
Next up was TSI (DGD had this on her must do, not remembering her only trip there from 2 yrs. old.) We boarded a raft just as The Island opened at 11:00. DH and I decided to try something new for the kids, a little lee way on the leash, freedom to explore TSI sans grown ups. They had 2 phones, we had ours, GO!! Off they went, and we blissfully rocked away for over an hour.
on the way to TSI.jpg
sleeping pappa.jpg
Pappa had an xtra good time!
On to POC and a chance to say goodbye to The Redhead.
You'll notice the Banshees flying on the kids' shoulders in every one of the pics,( I apologize for Banshee overload ) except DGD is so tiny, hers wont stay on her shoulder, so "Matilda" is carried everywhere.:happy:

POC 1st day mk.jpg
We're all running on low by now, and despite lots of water and snacks, we need a pit stop and I've been dreaming about the newest treat at MK, "Cheshire Cat Tails." We hit H.M. to say hello to the ghosts, then head over to Fantasyland and Cheshire Cafe for a much needed recharge/refuel and rest.
To Be Contiued.....
redhead.jpg

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Day 3 cont'd.
Magic Kingdom Part 2
HM 1st mkday.jpg
cat tails.jpg
inside tail.jpg

These delectable treats are a combination of a long donut laced with delicious icing and loaded with chocolate chips in the center. Sugar rush for all!!:hilarious:
Now comes the part where the "vote" will be put to a test.:rolleyes: We weren't going to be doing anything in Fantasyland until after our afternoon break, but....The kids came back to the table after riding Tea Cups and Speedway, ( the leash was getting longer, and they loved it ). I wanted to see the 3:00 parade, Festival of Fantasy, it wan't raining, woo hoo, so it was finally going to go off without a hitch. :)Cailyn was torn between the parade ( girl of my own heart ) and Space Mntn, the boys said" meh" to a parade, and there was a split vote that became deadlocked. We ended with a girls do this and boys do that. The parade was amazing, I've never seen all the beloved characters assembled together with such colors and spectacle since I was a kid and saw Main St. Electrical for the first time.
parade tink.jpg
winged guy at parade.jpg
alice at parade.jpg
better dragon.jpg

DGD and I met up with the "3boys" who rode PM and decided against a 40 minute stand by for S.M.They thought the parade would mean less wait times for rides, and that was the cause of the deadlocked vote. DGD said to her cousins, in her most honeyed tone, "How'd that work out for you ?" Phew, look out world, I hear some Snark in there. LOL.:eek:
The kids asked for SWMT for a last ride, we caved, and you can see, all's right with the world, maybe Bansh had some second thoughts though!!
snow whites mine train day 1 mk.jpeg
We headed home to eat, swim/hot tub in another terrific feature pool,at The Paddock, thunder, lightning and rain forced us back to the room and to another change for the evening's plans.Okay.....
By now, the kids knew the drill, Ponchos on,fall in, H.S. here we come. I elected to stay back to do laundry and shop.

Remember I said you can never have too much Gatorade and chocolate chip pancakes? Well, it was becoming apparent that despite other breakfast options like oj, apple juice, milk, chicken biscuits, fruit,or bagels the kids ( Grampa, you too!!!) were noshing on the pancakes and G2 for late night and apres pool snacks, beyond what I offered at these times. Runnng through the parks really makes for some ravenouse pre teens I guess. Now what's DH's excuse? Hmmm.:p
Well, someone needed to work out these little kinks and someone needed to get to a park with attractions not rained out.
Off they all went to re conquer HS, and I settled in with a little libation, aka, Pinot Grigio on the porch watching the light show in the sky. AAAHHHH, Life is sweet.
Hours later giddy with their new found powers of riding ToT and RRC, ST and TSM on their own, again and again and again, ( ride, run repeat ) the kids showered, ate, (good thing I laid in a fresh larder ) and fell into bed. As did their Pappa and I.
A long day for kids, Banshees and Grandparents, but oh so full of good times and magc moments.
Tomorrow is A.K. and I'm hoping that with a new bus plan, we can be there for rope drop.
To Be Continued
See ya real soon.

12in12

It is never too early to learn Snark so good for DGD. Even though I am not a mom being able to Snark comes in handy on occasion;).
I am really enjoying your TR, the love for your family shines through in all that you do.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
DAY 4: Animal Kingdom
With a great night's sleep, the kids were raring to go at 08:00. We were determined to make rope drop at A.K.
Poor DH has gout,:( and it chose this day to act up, so we'd rendezvous later if he was up to it. The kids and I drove to another section of SSR, The Grandstand, where the buses made their first stop for pick up, and first stop on drop off. Luck was with us, and we were off to A.K. within minutes of parking!
We had decided to use our much coveted F.P. for FoP later in the day after lunch at Satu'li Canteen, hopng that DH would be able to join us, so off we went towards Africa/Asia.
We came to the Tree of Life, and along with a fairly sparse crowd were stopped by an actual rope for the morning's opening.
AK tree of life rope drop.jpg

rope drop AK.jpg
The kids raced ahead to EE, got first ride of the day and scored front seats, pic is a little blurry, I apologize, the photo pass wasn't working, so it's my trusty phone/camera.
1st seat EE at AK.jpg
The crowds stayed small, ( I guess everyone else was queing for FoP? ) and the kids raced around a
kali river.jpg
few more times on EE, then we headed to KRR, with ponchos, ( I'm not getting drenched at 09:30 a.m.) We rode 3 times laughing and wondering who'd get hit with the next blast of water. We were off to Dino after this, and a message from DH told me he was on his way to join us.:)
waiting at dino.jpg
I decided to test the limits of that "leash" again, and after a quick phone check, I let the kids loose in Dinoland for that back/neck cracking device called Primeval Whirl, and the always adorable Triceratops. With DH in tow, albeit, a little slowly, we met up with kids back in Dinoland, where they did their repeat/threepeat, and we all decided to visit It's a Bugs Life.
Dino.jpeg
Hungry and ready to recharge, we made it to our new family favorite food stop, Satu'li Canteen for Cheeseburger Pods and Pandoran Sunrise lemonade. Don't foget dessert, looks too pretty to eat, but YUM!!!:D
pod burgers.jpg
lemonade at canteen.jpg
blueberry passion from canteen.jpg
chocolate canteen.jpg
TBC

Last edited:

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
DAY 4
Animal Kingdom cont'd.
Ready to roll again, DGD asked if she could have her face painted. This was something her Uncle @wdisney9000 , had promised on our trip in June, but the stars never aligned and it didn't happen. The boys wanted to revisit Windtraders,:eek: ( checking on other prospective adoptees???) So off we went and she picked a beautiful Mo'Oarn design.:cool:
face cailyn.jpg
face and mountains.jpg
Wish list checked off, tummys full, we turned in the direction of FoP when DH's phone vibrated with a message telling us that FoP was temporarily closed and we had the option to keep or transfer the FP. Of course no one knew how long the closure would be, and we couldn't give up those FP's, they're like gold. Okay....
We headed back to EE to wait it out and have some more fun.
cailyn and i at ee 1 st day ak.jpeg
After an hour and still no FoP, we voted, ( Thank the stars ) to go swimming. Refreshed and revived after late afternoon naps, ( that was a first ) , FoP still down,the team voted to go "finish" MK, after being rained out last night, they had lots of ideas for the night ahead.

Since this was our last night and we wanted to have a bit more fun in the morning before heading home, we decided that DH would take the kids to MK, and I'd stay back to pack and load. The kids were mindful of Pappa's " sore foot " and off they went.
My mission completed, ( I can be a speed demon if left uninterrupted ) I settled in on the balconey with some more Pinot to enjoy the pics being sent from MK and the cool night air. Beds were folded back, towels/pj's laid out, ready to welcome home my beautiful family for a last night's sleep in our SSR home.
Day 5 coming up tomorrow. Thanks for following!!!
kids at buzz.jpg
kids on t cups.jpg
kids at cinderella mural.jpg

Last edited:

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
DAY 5 Last Day::cry:
MK
TR COMPLETED
Since this was a Friday and Atlanta traffic can almost be seen and heard if not just imagined from here in the security and serenity of The World, going to a park was always part of the plan. Why rush home, school/work doesn't start for another week anyways. So now that we are justified, let's GO!!!
We drove the packed up van to Grandstand and hopped a bus to MK. No particular plan, just some FP's and smiles all around.
A nice man took a group photo of us with Walt and Mickey:)

walt and us.jpg
Stitch and the Astro Orbiter were on the Must Do List, but, already,at 10:00, those lines were crazy. Space Mntn is next.Our DGD is trying out her "I'm upset it's the last day" face. Wait, maybe that was real....:(
space mntn last day.jpeg

Let's get some Joffrey's!! Who doesn't love a donut as big as your head? Well the kids snarfed theirs faster than I could whip out my camera, but here's DH's new fav drink, Arnold Palmer Cooler, delish:D
arnold palmer tea.jpg
Then we spotted this guy, i Can, I've never heard of him before, but whoever is in there or voicing him is hialrious and engaging and very available.
I Can.jpg
Smiles on, tummys full, let's relax on everyone's favorite no need for a FP ride, People Mover!!
people mover last day.jpg
That ride just never gets old. On our way to SWMT and Splash Mntn for last spins, we check out the orbiter and Stitch, wait times are listed at 20 and 10 minutes. Okay....
There are at least 2 different sets of same color t shirt groups at either attraction, the lines are snaked into the walkways of Tomorowland, someone's timer is very wrong:banghead: Sooooo, we'll have to shelve these rides for another time. Boy that goes over like a lead balloon with kids doesn't it? "Can we come back after Splash Mntn?" "We should have done them first!" "I really wanted to do them!":(:(:(.
Now I got upset when I was The Mommy when my kids would whine without reason, but as a Nana, I'm super creative, super patient, and love to just outhnk them, WOW, Where was all that when my 4 were sounding like broken records?:bawling:

"Here's the deal" I say quietly, "We have FP's for 2 more rides, thrill rides, you are all Passolders, Pappa and I plan to come back here, A LOT!!!, You have lots of school breaks coming up, vote on one of these FP rides, check your phones, head in that direction and we'll see you there, don't make me explain what your alternative is, sound good?"
Okay.........:p
SWMT and Splash here we come!
spalsh mntn last day.jpeg
paulie at splash.jpeg
clearly the 13 yr old, who needed,( until these pics,) to be bolted down into the seat by Pappa's strong arms and legs, is over his fears:joyfull:

We walked back up Main Street, bought 3Dfidget spinners for the kids and our 5 yr old DGS at home, ( seroiusly?? fidget spinners? the marketing folks just kill me ) Maybe I'm getting old and cynical:rolleyes:.

On the way to the passage under the train depot we heard these guys.
dapper dans.jpg

I love The Dapper Dans, just beautiful acapella singing and old timey songs. I love the flag ceremony and the Marching Band too, nostalgic and sweet.
Out we go, and the Team poses for 1 last pic with a floral Mickey at the entrance to The Park of Parks.
goodbye.jpg
And just like that, we're back in the car heading for the Turnpike, The Muppets are asleep, and I'm planning our next trip.
This time, it's that trip "That Never Was..." with our always awesome DS, @wdisney9000 , an all adult jaunt to BLT at the end of August.

Thank you all for coming along on my first TR, hope you had some fun. Keep spreading the Pixie Dust wherever you roam, See You Real Soon:joyfull:

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I am rarely jealous reading trip reports, as I always figure that I get to do things in life that others don't (for example, I can get to Paris is just over 3 hours by train, and DLP Paris within an hour after that) ... but the Dapper Dans?! You've officially made me jealous! I have loved them ever since I was a child and we make a point of catching them at least once each time we are at WDW. In fact, we recently bought Dapper Dan inspired sweatshirts for our upcoming WDW trip in January.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
I am rarely jealous reading trip reports, as I always figure that I get to do things in life that others don't (for example, I can get to Paris is just over 3 hours by train, and DLP Paris within an hour after that) ... but the Dapper Dans?! You've officially made me jealous! I have loved them ever since I was a child and we make a point of catching them at least once each time we are at WDW. In fact, we recently bought Dapper Dan inspired sweatshirts for our upcoming WDW trip in January.
Thank you @Swissmiss we are pre planning another trip for January, as well. I enjoy being able" to see" the prettiness of the parks with low crowd times. I'm officially envious of what must be amazing surroundings for where you are, enjoy. Maybe we'll meet up one day.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Enjoyed your TR. I'm sure your grandkids will cherish the memories of this trip forever (as I'm sure you will as well).
Thank you,@LisaBelle It was wonderful to do this with the kids, and we are hoping to try it again next summer, but, bring along our littlest guy, DGD's baby brother, who will be 6 at that time. Stay tuned for that one, till then, stay Happy Ever After.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom