Trip Report Grandkids and Cat Tails and Banshees, OH MY!!!

We're 3 days returned from another amazing magical memory making trip to WDW, and Boy, have I learned a lot, laughed a lot and shook my head a lot on this trip.
If you've followed my PTR ( accidentally posted in the TR's ,oops, entitled "No Parents Allowed ") then you know this was a first time trip for Nana and Grampa,( that's us,) to take our 3 middle Grands to The World without Moms or Dads.
The kids had just learned to enjoy the "thrill rides" on a family trip in June, so this was a last trip before school starts to hit all those new favorites again, but, also, to do some things we've never experienced and to revisit a few from their/ our past.

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men... ( and apparently Grandparents )

Suffice to say, we:
Learned a little: ( You can never pack too much Gatorade or chocolate chip pancakes ):hungry:
Taught a little: ( Its never to early to teach kids the democratic process,LOL )
Had some firsts: ( Cheshire Cat Tails are so YUMMY!!!):cat:
Had some favorites: ( Joffrey's, and Pod Burgers, 'nuf said)
Did some repeats and threpeats : ( the kids ping ponged back & forth between ToT/RRC):hilarious:
Laughed and Loved a Lot.

We didn't get the whole wish list done, but that's all the more reason to plan the next trip.

So sit back, relax and follow along for our 5 day adventure.

To Be continued

dclfan

Yay!!! I've been looking forward to this. Some of my best memories were hanging out with gram in Disney when I was a kid. I'll never forget whenever we were in Disney after a long day at the Parks she would change into her PJ's and then take me down to the food court for late night goodies before bed. Grandparent trips are excellent.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Day One: Up and at 'em 0:430, kids had spent the night at our house, and hadn't crashed till almost 3 a.m.
Wakey Wakey, No Eggs Or Bakey.....
sleeeping pre trip.jpg

On the road at 05:00, Muppets back to sleep, we're talking and making great time out of Atlanta, and cruise into a fuel and food pit stop at 10. The kids had just woken and were sharing WDW info, playing WDW trivia games,on their tablets/phones.
peas in a pod on the road to wdw.jpg

Right on time,smooth sailing, and just like that,
We're Home!!!!!!
were home.jpg

First stop is Disney Springs to get Nana and Pappa's A.P.'s. The kids are chomping at the bit to hit the parks, but we were in and out of the G.R. Building in no time and Magic Band Power Rules!!
band power.jpg

On to Bell Services at SS, let's drop off those 17, yep, you read that correctly, 17, pieces of luggage and coolers and bags of food. OH MY!!! Hope they have a couple extra big carts!! Then it's off to H.S. to start the Magic.

We had F.P's to RRC ToT and TSM, 3 of the Big 4 on the H.S. list of "Must Do's" Clearly, they have all mastered their fear of these rides, it's hands up, pose for the camera, ( all this trip that would be their thing, "Let's make this face at the camera ") and let loose for a good time! I'm sure youcan see, I'll never get used to ToT, love to hate it, hate to love it!!
We had to say goodbye to a favorite of course,GMR and saw some new construction back by ST
construction at star wars.jpg

kids at GMR.jpg

Any ride, Grampa/Pappa/DH is having just as much fun as the Muppets. We headed back to SS to eat,unpack, and settle in before heading out to A.K. At least that was the plan....
day 1 ToT.jpeg

As I said in the opening of this TR, The best laid plans...
So, I had requested an upper level room for all kinds of reasons, but mostly b.c. the boys had ducks trying to get onto their ground level patio room during a recent past visit to Beach Club, and their near hysteria has become the laughter of many Disney adventure recollections. Not wanting a repeat, we made the request to be nowhere near ground level.
But, NO!! We enter a ground floor room that had a mustiness to it that could rival any gym locker room. Okay...Break out the Febreeze.. EEEEKKKK, Screams from inside the room, the kids have spotted a couple of lizards, or maybe salamanders, or maybe gekos, who knows, but they aren't having it. Okay... Call front desk, no help there, no offer to move us, send help, nothing, nada, zip. Now DH has gone from spraying the room, to hands and knees trying to catch the critters, kids are on hands and knees, ( Hey if Pappa can do it, so can we ) and the group finds an oreo cookie under the table, and then a pile of dead ants on the baseboards.
Okay...Second call to front desk, this time from DH, who is in full on Ticked off protective mode, he requests a supervisor, we get moved to a new building on the 4 th floor, just in time for all that luggage to be delivered, and, the rain to begin. YIKES!!! Not on the itinerary...

Well, this is the beginning of the democratic process I mentioned. Everyone's in near melt down mode, wanting to do something different, anything at all, so we introduced "The Unanimous Vote" or "Nothing at All" The kids voted to put on ponchos and like baby ducks follow DH over to the Artist's Palette to eat and then look around our new digs while I got the home quarters in order. When the rain stopped, at 10 p.m. they voted again to swim at the quiet pool which was open 24 hrs/day, and it was a great choice for all. While they had the pool all to themselves, we settled into the Hot Tub for some much needed relaxing.
Back to the room at midnight for snacks, showers and sleepy bye time in preparation for Day 2,
EPCOT.
Thanks for coming along, To Be Continued

RRC.jpeg

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Day One: Up and at 'em 0:430, kids had spent the night at our house, and hadn't crashed till almost 3 a.m.
Wakey Wakey, No Eggs Or Bakey.....View attachment 218203

On the road at 05:00, Muppets back to sleep, we're talking and making great time out of Atlanta, and cruise into a fuel and food pit stop at 10. The kids had just woken and were sharing WDW info, playing WDW trivia games,on their tablets/phones.View attachment 218205
Right on time,smooth sailing, and just like that,
We're Home!!!!!!View attachment 218210
First stop is Disney Springs to get Nana and Pappa's A.P.'s. The kids are chomping at the bit to hit the parks, but we were in and out of the G.R. Building in no time and Magic Band Power Rules!!View attachment 218211
On to Bell Services at SS, let's drop off those 17, yep, you read that correctly, 17, pieces of luggage and coolers and bags of food. OH MY!!! Hope they have a couple extra big carts!! Then it's off to H.S. to start the Magic.

We had F.P's to RRC ToT and TSM, 3 of the Big 4 on the H.S. list of "Must Do's" Clearly, they have all mastered their fear of these rides, it's hands up, pose for the camera, ( all this trip that would be their thing, "Let's make this face at the camera ") and let loose for a good time! I'm sure youcan see, I'll never get used to ToT, love to hate it, hate to love it!! Any ride, Grampa/Pappa/DH is having just as much fun as the Muppets. We headed back to SS to eat,unpack, and settle in before heading out to A.K. At least that was the plan....
View attachment 218252

As I said in the opening of this TR, The best laid plans...
So, I had requested an upper level room for all kinds of reasons, but mostly b.c. the boys had ducks trying to get onto their ground level patio room during a recent past visit to Beach Club, and their near hysteria has become the laughter of many Disney adventure recollections. Not wanting a repeat, we made the request to be nowhere near ground level.
But, NO!! We enter a ground floor room that had a mustiness to it that could rival any gym locker room. Okay...Break out the Febreeze.. EEEEKKKK, Screams from inside the room, the kids have spotted a couple of lizards, or maybe salamanders, or maybe gekos, who knows, but they aren't having it. Okay... Call front desk, no help there, no offer to move us, send help, nothing, nada, zip. Now DH has gone from spraying the room, to hands and knees trying to catch the critters, kids are on hands and knees, ( Hey if Pappa can do it, so can we ) and the group finds an oreo cookie under the table, and then a pile of dead ants on the baseboards.
Okay...Second call to front desk, this time from DH, who is in full on Ticked off protective mode, he requests a supervisor, we get moved to a new building on the 4 th floor, just in time for all that luggage to be delivered, and, the rain to begin. YIKES!!! Not on the itinerary...

Well, this is the beginning of the democratic process I mentioned. Everyone's in near melt down mode, wanting to do something different, anything at all, so we intorduced "The Unanimous Vote" or "Nothing at All" The kids voted to put on ponchos and like baby ducks follow DH over to the Artist's Palette to eat and then look around our new digs while I got the home quarters in order. When the rain stopped, at 10 p.m. they voted again to swim at the quiet pool which was open 24 hrs/day, and it was a great choice for all. While they had the pool all to themselves, we settled into the Hot Tub for some much needed relaxing.
Back to the room at midnight for snacks, showers and sleepy bye time in preparation for Day 2,
EPCOT.
Thanks for coming along, To Be Continued

View attachment 218225

You didn't need to go to the Animal Kingdom because the Animal Kingdom came to you!!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Oh goodie, I was waiting for your trip report :)! What a great idea of the all or nothing rule - that way there could be no 2 against 1 among the kids.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Oh goodie, I was waiting for your trip report :)! What a great idea of the all or nothing rule - that way there could be no 2 against 1 among the kids.
Hi @Swissmiss, We thought it was funny, they got into little huddles, did once twice three shoot, and rock paper scissors until they had a stone cold vote, they thought they were all that, DH and I shook our heads and cracked up, but it worked, every time!!!

Figaro Family

Following your report! On our last trip to WDW there was a small lizard in our condo, I freaked out but my daughter was thrilled, she thinks lizards and snakes are adorable so she made friends with it and we had to convince her to let it go outside.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Following your report! On our last trip to WDW there was a small lizard in our condo, I freaked out but my daughter was thrilled, she thinks lizards and snakes are adorable so she made friends with it and we had to convince her to let it go outside.
Our grand daughter is the same way. Once she realized we were moving, and the door would close, she worried the lizards wouldn't be able to eat or drink!!

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
Yay!!! I've been looking forward to this. Some of my best memories were hanging out with gram in Disney when I was a kid. I'll never forget whenever we were in Disney after a long day at the Parks she would change into her PJ's and then take me down to the food court for late night goodies before bed. Grandparent trips are excellent.
AAWWW, That is such a sweet memory @dclfan . I hope all 5 of our Grands will have special and unique times with us as you have described with your Gram.

luvinthemajik

Original Poster
DAY 2: EPCOT and The Night of the Banshe
PART 1

This was going to be the first day of doing breakfast in the room for everyone,and getting a rhythm to moving kids, hubby, backcpacks,hats, sunscreen, vitamins, etc out the door and into the parks.
Ultimately, it ran something like a military camp:
Wake up, Eat up, Pick up, Clean up, Line up, FALL OUT!!!!!
Here's our view from 4th floor at SSR at 06:00 before the water fountain begins , peaceful and quiet.
the view at SSR.jpg

So,coffee's brewed, ( can't wait for it on the porch ) I've nuked and toastered and plated food and poured drinks, the wake up calls begin. Me, I'm a crack of dawn person, when I have to be, DH, and 10 year old Grandson, not so much. The other 2 kids are almost done eating when those 2 even think about opening their eyes. YIKES!!!

But, tooth pulling, cajoling threatening and pleading aside, we're "Holding Up SSE"by 09:15.

holding up SSE.jpg

Our plan was to try to see a couple street performers and do all the Main Events before break time and a swim. On the way to TT, we saw these guys, The Jammitors.
paul kids jammitors.jpg

test track.jpg

Next stop Soaring, ( Love the new version just as much as the previous one, it's just fun ) and then we decided to try Living with the Sea/Nemo and Friends, without a f.p. LOL Big Mistake, huge even. We saw no line outside, wait time posted at 15 minutes, sounds reasonable, right? Come on, it's not TT or even FEA, but, Wait for it... a gynormous line that within minutes of getting inside the cool darkness of the building snakes around every turnstile, railing and rope they've ever used here. Okay..... Too late to get out, we're stuck for the 40 minute duration. But we eventually made it through and the kids enjoyed the manatee, sharks, dolphins and divers.
living with the seas.jpg

Then it's off to Figment. Now here's where the vote comes into play once again. Boys,"No way,it smells, it's loud, it's lame..." Cailyn, " He's cute, it's fun, I love the song." DH and I stood back for a water and snack break while the kids huddled, argued negotiated and made their decision, Figment won out, but we'd leave right afterwards for swimming and lunch, no FEA.
AAAHHHH, The American Democratic Process at work, nice!!! They all had fun,"Imagine" that.
conducting at figment.jpg

Swimming at the beautiful feature pool in High Springs, food/drinks in the room, military orders as for breakfast issued post lunch, and we're ready to go back to Epcot, for street performers, 3 Caballeros, Fireworks, tasty treats for dinner in France, yummy, but, Nope, Guess what? Rain, Rain, and more Rain. 3 hours worth of cross blowing winds with monsoon style scary lighning cracking rain. Well,Epcot's out, MK and AK close so many rides/attractions they're out, Okay.....
Break out the ponchos little duckies, and let's go to H.S. again. I'm getting pretty good at canceling f.p.'s for 1 park then trolling for then pouncing on last minute availabilites at a different park.
So we hit ToT and RRC like pin balls pinging back and forth, no one was in the park, it was still raining like crazy and the we had a ball, ride, run, repeat... Oh yeah, on ToT, that's " serious face" posed for the cameras, while I'm just freaking out naturally...
ToT in the rain.jpg

day 2 ToT Im not happy serious faces.jpeg

The last of the sun finally came back out and we were poncho free for a while. We even got to see The March of the First Order.
We'll be back with EPCOT and Night of the Banshee Part 2, to be continued.

march of 1st order.jpg

Rockin Roller.jpg

Last edited:

MegRuss626

Love your report so far! Like @dclfan, I have nothing but the best memories of going to Disney with my Grandma...she took me on my very first trip when I was 6 and her love of the most magical place on Earth has stuck with me ever since! The first time I went without her in 2014, I cried (at 28 years old!) walking into MK because she wasn't there so I had to FaceTime her! And now we're planning when to take my new little girl because she said she has to see her first trip to Disney!

And I feel you on the ToT picture...in the two times my husband has MADE me ride it, I look even more terrified than you!

Figaro Family

I like the way you made the most out of the monsoon afternoon. It's easy to get stuck on what the plans were supposed to be and let the day be ruined. Instead you have a great memory of repeat rides in an almost empty park!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom