Pre-Trip Good thing I like warm hugs...because it's going to be hot between all those people!

Although I am in the middle of another PTR for our DLP trip, I also wanted to get started on this one because I HAVE TWO UPCOMING DISNEY TRIPS IN THE WORKS :happy: **happy dance**

So without further ado...let's get to some of the details of this trip.

Introductions
Hello. I'm Michelle and I am a Disney addict, undoubtedly if you are reading this you are as well so it's nice to be in the same company. I have no idea how many trips I've taken to WDW (yes, I've been very lucky growing up in a DVC family), but this will be my first trip back since our Disneymoon in August 2015 - yes, I've been away for just over 2 years by the time of this trip which is UNHEARD of.

upload_2017-4-26_12-43-34.png

And this is my handsome prince Ryan. Ryan has traveled to WDW many times - some with his family when he was younger (always staying offsite, renting a house nearby) and when we met , he started joining my family trips. Ryan is not the Disney addict that I am, but he agrees to frequent trips to make me happy. Although I would be content going to Disney (one park or another) for every trip, Ryan pushes me out of that comfort zones and makes me experience new places and cultures. At the end of the day, we always return to WDW though!

upload_2017-4-26_12-53-51.png

When
We will be visiting at the craziest time of the year (because apparently we are crazy)! We will arrive on Tuesday December 26,2017 and will be staying until Tuesday January 2, 2018. We will then move over to Universal Studios for a quick two day trip until Thursday January 4, 2018 - this was part of the compromise to "returning to Disney" that I've gotten used to making!

Since I am Canadian, we get December 26th off as a statutory holiday so we initially wanted to head to the world earlier and be there for actual Christmas day. However, we have a rule in our family that Christmas day is ALWAYS spent together and since this is just a couples trip, no go on missing Christmas - which I am fine with!

Why
Well....why not?
Okay, not the greatest answer - but really, seriously, why not?

So this year marks a very special anniversary for Ryan and I. We will have been together for 15 years (yes, we started dating back in high school when we were just wee little kiddies). Ryan also proposed to me during the Christmas season (late November) during Wishes at MK back in 2012. AND Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year; even more so when you see the amazing decorations all over Disney World.

The last time we were in Disney World for Christmas (like the actual Christmas break) was back in 2006, so we are due to return! It has been on my mind for quite a while (as you would expect), but I think the "we have to go back" set in for Ryan last Christmas when I mentioned to him that;

"I'm sitting here on Christmas day, watching the Disney parade, in my Disney PJ's, with my Mickey Christmas hat, drinking a mimosa out of my Disney champagne glass".

See...I wasn't joking!

upload_2017-4-26_13-9-51.png

YES...I was trying to throw myself a pity party for not being IN Disney World on Christmas LOL :banghead:. Needless to say....I planted the seed in Ryan's head that very moment! ;)

Where

As I mentioned above (and before on these boards), I've been very lucky to have grown up in a family who bought into DVC WAY back in 1992 (or maybe 1993) when Old Key West was the ONLY DVC Resort (and actually used to be name Disney's Vacation Club Resort)

Needless to say, I spent many many many trips there as this was the only DVC resort for the first few years of the program. This also makes this truly my "home away from home". So we will be spending our trip here.

upload_2017-4-26_13-13-16.png

upload_2017-4-26_13-13-26.png

Not only this is "home" for me, but it is a beautiful resort. It is HUGE so it can be difficult to navigate, but we have decided to rent a car this trip, so no worries on that front!

For the Universal part of our trip, we will be staying at Cabana Bay Beach Resort.

upload_2017-4-26_13-17-10.png

upload_2017-4-26_13-17-16.png

I've never stayed here before (truth be told, I've never stayed on Universal property - if we've gone it's been a day trip during our Disney holiday), but I've heard great things about it so I am excited!

Last edited:

Courtney6682

Wednesday December 27
- Magic Kingdom in the AM
- BOG for Lunch
- Hollywood Studios in the PM
- Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater for Dinner
(we usually split something here, but like the atmosphere, it's fun!...but willing to change if you have other suggestions in this price range!)
- Fireworks & Fantasmic (waiting on the timing to see if this is possible!)

Thursday December 28
- EPCOT in the AM
- Garden Grill for Breakfast
(this is new to us, we've never eaten here before)
- Animal Kingdom in the PM
- ROL Dining Package w Tiffins Dinner
(again, all new to us!)
e very crowded so this would be a good option)

Awww rats! The 27th we are at Epcot and the 28th we are doing AK...

prfctlyximprct

Guess what guys......today we are at 60 days on our countdown. WHICH MEANS....

FASTPASS DAY IS HERE!
I just bright and early this morning to make sure I got my selections in right at 7 am. I'll report back shortly with what our revised plans look like.

HAPPY FAST PASS DAY!!! Idk how I missed this whole pretrip report! I am glad it was bumped so I could catch up! Your trip is sooooo soon!! I can’t believe we will miss each other by a couple weeks! I hope you got all the fast passes you want! I am just sooo nervous about getting Flight of passage and Rivers of Light. Hope you had good luck!! And I still want those Disney glasses you have! I love your Santa hat picture ;)

Your dining and food plans are the ultimate goals!!! Can’t wait to see if you make it snack around the world! I’ve watched multiple YouTube vlogs and it can be done! I have faith in you!! :)

mlegerto

Original Poster
Okay guys....Fastpasses have been made, dinning reservations have been made, magicbands have been selected (but won't ship to us as we live in Canada :banghead::() and we've done our online check-in. Things are happening!

Here's a more detailed look at our upcoming (55 days!) Christmas trip! Just as a note, I've used Touring Plans for our trip (haven't done the Universal side yet) to find the best touring plan for each of our days since we are visiting at such a crowded time of year!

Tuesday December 26
6:00 am flight to Orlando (1 hr layover in Washington)
11:20 am flight arrives
- pick up car rental
- check in at Old Key West Resort (awwww...home sweet home!)
- lunch at Disney Springs
- outlet & grocery shopping
5:25 pm O'hana dinner

Magic Kingdom
6:20 - 7:20 Space Mountain FP
7:30 - 8:30 Haunted Mansion FP
9:00 Happily Ever After Fireworks
8:50 - 9:50 Big Thunder Mountain FP

Wednesday December 27
Magic Kingdom AM
- strand by for Pirates of the Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear, Main Street Trolley Show, Dapper Dan
- Casey's Corner lunch

Hollywood Studios PM
- stand by for Rock n' Roller Coaster,Muppet Vision 3D
11:35 - 12:35 Tower of Terror FP
2:00 Beauty and the Beast Show
1:35 - 2:35 Toy Story Mania FP
3:15 Indiana Jones Stunt Show
3:35 - 4:35 Star Tours FP
4:10 pm Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater for dinner
5:30 For the first time in forever sing-along
7:00 Fantasmic
- Sunset Seasons Greetings (5:30 - close)
10:00 Star Wars Fireworks

Thursday December 28
EPCOT AM
- rope drop Soarin' then stand by for Living with the Land (time permitting)
8:55 am Garden Grill breakfast

Animal Kingdom PM
- stand by It's Tough to be a Bug, Maharajah Jungle Trek, Gorilla Falls Tail and Na'vi River Journey, Kali River Rapids (weather permitting), Kilimanjaro Safari, Tree of Life Awakening
10:30 - 11:30 Expedition Everest FP
11:35 - 12:35 Dinosaur FP
12:00 Finding Nemo Musical
2:00 Festival of the Lion King
1:40 - 2:40 Flight of Passage FP
5:00 Tiffins dinner
7:15 River of Light

Nighttime Mini-Golf (assuming we aren't dead!)

Friday December 29
Non-Park Day
- shopping / hotel hopping / go see Christmas decor / swimming, etc.
10:20 am Kona Cafe Breakfast
7:30 pm Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'
10:30 pm Yehaa Bob Jackson

Saturday December 30
Magic Kingdom
- stand by PeopleMover, COP, Enchanted Tales w Belle, Dumbo, Carrousel, Big Thunder, Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain,Jingle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Monsters Inc.
10:35 - 11:35 Peter Pan's Flight FP
12:05 - 1:05 Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FP
1:20 - 2:20 Splash Mountain FP
2:00 pm Muppets Present
2:25 pm Be Our Guest lunch
10:40 pm Firework Dessert Party (with Garden Viewing)
11:50 pm Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks

Sunday December 31
EPCOT
10:05 - 11:05 am Spaceship Earth FP
11:05 - 12:05 am Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival FP
12:10 JAMMitors play
12:15 - 1:15 Frozen Ever After FP
1:25 pm Via Napoli lunch
5:10 Jeweled Dragon Acrobats show
6:30 pm IllumiNations Fireworks
11:40 pm NYE Countdown & Fireworks

**online it looks like they do the regular IllumiNations show at 6:30 and then a special NYE one at midnight, does anyone know if this is accurate?
***we do not have nearly as much "planned" in advance for this day as we know it will be PACKED and are planning on taking the day very slowly and enjoying the worldshow case, food and drinks mostly

Monday January 1
Non-Park Day
10:00 am Couples Massage Sense Spa Grand Floridian
12:10 pm Afternoon Tea at the Garden Tea Room
6:45 pm Yachtsman Steakhouse dinner
Boardwalk
10:45 pm Beaches n Cream dessert

Then we move over to Universal for the last few days of our trip, which I haven't planned yet LOL. Plans will come once they have been made.

Thoughts on the above plans?

StephK

Your plans look fantastic!!! I am already excited to read your TR! I am currently planning my Disney-moon in May for the same amount of days an am eyeing off your itinerary :) Enjoy!!!!

12in12

Your plans look really great. I am just not sure if you have enough time on arrival day to have lunch at DS and go grocery shopping before your ADR.

mlegerto

Original Poster
Your plans look fantastic!!! I am already excited to read your TR! I am currently planning my Disney-moon in May for the same amount of days an am eyeing off your itinerary :) Enjoy!!!!

Aww thanks for joining in! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding; when is it? That's amazing that you have a disneymoon planned for May. We did our disneymoon back in August 2015 and had an amazing time! You can check out that TR in my signature if you are interested in some of the things we decided to do.

Your plans look really great. I am just not sure if you have enough time on arrival day to have lunch at DS and go grocery shopping before your ADR.

Thanks! Yes, it might be a BIT tight, but that's our "traditional" arrival day plan. We've been successful in doing it on out other trips, but those weren't at Christmas time which will have higher crowds and make it a bit more difficult to get around. We are fortunate enough to have been to Disney World a fair number of times, so we are going with the mind set that our plans might have to change and we will have to be flexible; if we don't see everything we were hoping, we know we will be back so no worries!

mlegerto

Original Poster
HAPPY FAST PASS DAY!!! Idk how I missed this whole pretrip report! I am glad it was bumped so I could catch up! Your trip is sooooo soon!! I can’t believe we will miss each other by a couple weeks! I hope you got all the fast passes you want! I am just sooo nervous about getting Flight of passage and Rivers of Light. Hope you had good luck!! And I still want those Disney glasses you have! I love your Santa hat picture ;)

Your dining and food plans are the ultimate goals!!! Can’t wait to see if you make it snack around the world! I’ve watched multiple YouTube vlogs and it can be done! I have faith in you!! :)

Been wondering where you've been LOL.

Trip is coming up VERY quickly now....54 days and counting. I cannot WAIT. It feels like it's been SO long since I've lat been home. Are you heading down soon? I didn't know you had a trip in the works for this year with the wedding and such coming up. Tell me more!!!!

We were very lucky and I've literally gotten every ADR and FP that I wanted...not sure how I got so lucky as I was expecting not to as we are going at the busiest time of the year, but I guess we last left Disney with a bit of extra pixie dust!

mlegerto

Original Poster
Anyone have any thoughts on the best touring plans / ideas for the Universal parks as this time of the year? We will be there January 2 - 4 and have 2 day - 2 park passes. I know for sure I will want to start at one park and cross over to the other (probably both days) using the Hogwarths Express, but not sure which park I should start at each day or how I should plan on tackling the parks!

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

PacNWTigger

I love how you have a couple of non-park days in there. Make sure you check out the other hotel decorations...I hear they are rather spectacular around the holidays! Take lots of pics! :)

mlegerto

Original Poster
I love how you have a couple of non-park days in there. Make sure you check out the other hotel decorations...I hear they are rather spectacular around the holidays! Take lots of pics! :)

Absolutely! One of the reasons we are going at Christmas is for all of the decorations so we will be sure to do some resort exploring. Don't worry, I'll be back with a TON of photos to share.

mlegerto

Original Poster
Alright....playing around with TouringPlans.com today and I am a bit confused.

On their website they are showing schedules for all of the Festival of Holiday events for December 31st (i.e Le Befana in Italy, Daruma in Japan, Pere Noel in France, etc.), but on the Disney website (and everything else I see) it is showing that the event ends on December 30th.

Anyone have any idea if the event will actually extend through to December 31st or do these shows/storytellers/etc. still operate on December 31st, but not necessarily as part of the Festival? Thoughts???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom