GF DVC looks terrible!

smw

odd they didn't put it on the other side of gf... that way both the original and dvc buildings would have mk views and the wedding pavilion would still be by itself.

VGFonGoogleEarthoverview.jpg

juniorthomas

Thought this little diagram might help (I merged a blue-print-type plan for the new DVC with the Google Earth map). It shows the wedding pavilion on it's little island at the right. I don't think it should affect the pavilion's view of the MK, but it is a relatively massive structure that is very close, and it took away the sandy beach look that was there. From the Poly, I don't think it will be that big a deal. From the second image below, you can see that it's off to the side of the view from Poly to MK. It may just look like the GF got a little closer.

What I was really trying to do with this mashup was to get a sense of the views from the new DVC rooms. To me it seems clear that any view of the castle will be blocked by the existing GF hotel buildings.

VGFonGoogleEarth.jpg

VGFonGoogleEarthoverview.jpg

Holy bovines!

puntagordabob

I have been staying at the Poly all week and the view of the new GF DVC looks terrible. Its totally out of place, jammed in between the wedding Pavilion and the original GF. It sticks out onto the water taking away the beautiful view that the wedding pavilion used to have. I know the construction just started but it is such a terrible eyesore to look at. Also on a side note, when is this supposed to finish? Because I have been here all week and every single day I passed by it on the monorail I have not seen 1 person on the construction site! They have done absolutely no work at all this past week which seems very odd. I made a point to check it out every time I passed. Honestly it looks like an abandoned construction site. This is the worst thing they could have done to the GF.

I prefer to wait for its completion before commenting... but my feeling is that the GF DVC will be a pretty addition to the GF

freediverdude

odd they didn't put it on the other side of gf... that way both the original and dvc buildings would have mk views and the wedding pavilion would still be by itself.

AND, had they put the DVC on the plot of land on the other side of GF, they might have been able to build a foot bridge across the electric water pageant canal and boast walking access to MK. That would have been a huge selling point too.

bmarkelon

AND, had they put the DVC on the plot of land on the other side of GF, they might have been able to build a foot bridge across the electric water pageant canal and boast walking access to MK. That would have been a huge selling point too.
My DH and I have had this discussion so many times! I look forward to staying there when it's opened but after we try it I'm sure we will always choose BLT over GFV due to the walk to MK. DH says it's too big a negative to not have the walkway and be the last stop on the monorail home. Even though that's kind of silly...you're still at a monorail resort which you can't beat!

wild01ride

I will stay almost anywhere at least once and make my decisions from there.

I like the attitude!
That's a great point-there are lots of people making some strong opinionated comments about places they've never been/stayed.
I guess it goes back to the whole "don't knock it 'til you try it" adage!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Thinking the expansion is going to make the launches and monorail just that much more crowded.

Me<-----GF is way down the pike on hotels I want to vacation in. It is Pretty but not warm, almost chilly-beautiful. Give me the Beach Boys! That is a DVC. And anyone know what the heck is up with the main pool, I can't believe they still don't have a pool bottom yet after all this time.

tissandtully

This is my first time being DVC and them opening a new resort, is there usually a member preview or anything like that? I'd love to just walkthrough VGF and check it out when it opens! I'm sure it will be hard to get a reservation, anyways.

Jim Chandler

I fully understand your concern. However the pictures show no depth perception. Also when you look at it now you also have limited depth perception because it is not finished. BTW I stayed at TGF facing the Po;y and saw no issue looking that way. Lastly from a distance you can not determine the actual distances on the ground between each never mind the depth perception I mentioned. Also on a gray cloudy day all things look distorted to the normal eye and even more so with a camera

Jim Chandler

Thinking the expansion is going to make the launches and monorail just that much more crowded.

Me<-----GF is way down the pike on hotels I want to vacation in. It is Pretty but not warm, almost chilly-beautiful. Give me the Beach Boys! That is a DVC. And anyone know what the heck is up with the main pool, I can't believe they still don't have a pool bottom yet after all this time.
Staying at the GF is great especially on the club level. We stay there on a weekend during the Christmas season

ParentsOf4

I fully understand your concern. However the pictures show no depth perception. Also when you look at it now you also have limited depth perception because it is not finished. BTW I stayed at TGF facing the Po;y and saw no issue looking that way. Lastly from a distance you can not determine the actual distances on the ground between each never mind the depth perception I mentioned. Also on a gray cloudy day all things look distorted to the normal eye and even more so with a camera
In all fairness, the photo was posted in September 2012.

When it comes to construction, I think it's difficult to judge the final product until it's finished.

Jim Chandler

I am sure they looked into putting it on the other side. However just like the 5 star hotel that was slated for the area on 7 seas lagoon south of the CH and across from FW the pilings probably had to be set too deep to make it financially feasible as well as safe.
However I have asked about a walk way to the MK and it has to do with distance, and the swamp area.

alissafalco

Original Poster

Yes, I did take that pic 6 months ago so I'm sure it probably looks different now. However, It did look terrible when I took it.

Hot Lava

smw said:
odd they didn't put it on the other side of gf... that way both the original and dvc buildings would have mk views and the wedding pavilion would still be by itself.​

Perhaps there are long range plans to build in that area also. Particularly if these sell well at whatever exorbitant price they set and/or rent well as cash hotel rooms at ridiculous prices.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I remember how almost everyone on this site bad mouthed the Bay Lake Tower when it was under construction. I have stayed there and loved it. Watching Wishes from my bed is something is one of those great Disney memories. I am sure that most of us will end up loving GF DVC just as much once it opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom