GF DVC looks terrible!

awesomeinabox

Who knows... They can always build a new wedding pavilion elsewhere with different views.
Or you can just save up money and get married in front of the castle... That's my plan and why I won't be hitched till I'm in my mid to late 30s. Honestly you can get married anywhere in Disney these days as long as you have the cash.

lazyboy97o

To be fair, everyone knew it was happening. I'm getting married at WDW in December and I chose Sea Breeze Point to avoid the construction.
Only if you've been following the filings and project closely, and even then finding out the project actually started construction likely would have come too late for many.

harryk

From that angle it certainly changes the Poly view when we were at the Luau last year it was such a lovely walk back to the GF, my husband is not going to like the building there, he's been pretty apprehensive about it and I remember thinking when looking at my video from the last GF stay how glad I was I got so much footage before the building went up. But I do think I'm going to have to reserve final judgement until it's done, my kids so badly want to go to the new water area.
If anything like the other DVC resorts, the water areas are only available to DVC members at the DVC resort.

Disneykidder

If anything like the other DVC resorts, the water areas are only available to DVC members at the DVC resort.
Good point. I never thought about that. The pictures of the water area look cool. My kids would probably like it. I cannot wait to stay there using points!
I heard from people that have recently been there that the bucket that tips makes a clanking sound about every 50 or so seconds and was driving people crazy. Hmmmm....

coachwnh

we were planning on staying at GF this thanksgiving. just switched to poly yesterday. we will try GF this Feb however. we were planning on staying at BW in Feb, but really want to stay at GF. It looks like the pools will be all completed by then, as well as other updates. Im sure when its all complete, the GF will still look great!!

s&k'smom

Only available to DVC members, oh holy heck this could be an issue as my son (long story) is really looking forward to it, I know this is a dumb question and sorry if off topic where is the new water park located, in the pictures it looked like next to the waterfall pool. The only reason I ask is my son wants to be under that bucket more than anything and with his issues (autism, OCD, sensory) I'm going to have to talk him down and change resorts, I know this sounds strange but if he see's it and can't go it will cause me a boat load of problems on our trip, HELP!!!!!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

Kidani has cash rooms as well as the bulk of Jambo. Cash guest can drive right to Kidani or use the shuttle access the splash pad there. Just an exclusion I thought I would mention.

alissafalco

Original Poster
The GF DVC is still under construction, and the water splash area is open and was being used by guests when we were there last month. Obviously it was being used by the regular guests of the hotel not DVC since DVC isnt even open yet. Im pretty sure that splash area is for everyone.

s&k'smom

Oh TG! Thank you guys for the info, hey allisafalco is the splash area right next to the waterfall area? My son asks for so little and was super excited for the splash area. See I knew joining these forums was a good idea.

alissafalco

Original Poster
Oh TG! Thank you guys for the info, hey allisafalco is the splash area right next to the waterfall area? My son asks for so little and was super excited for the splash area. See I knew joining these forums was a good idea.

I'm not really sure where the waterfall area is. Now I wish I took a picture. We stayed at the Poly, but we passed by it every time we rode the monorail. Thats when I saw it going with people using it every time. It was close to the main building of the GF. I hope that helps. Maybe someone who stayed at GF recently can comment and would know better.

s&k'smom

Thank you Alissa, I hate to make such a fuss and in my more "mature" years I'm trying not to be such an over reactive person but when my son gets something into his head it's like it's locked in a vault.

toolsnspools

The building looks too big from the pictures on the Poly side. Almost like reverse forced perspective. I'd like to see a picture from in front of MK, to see how it looks from that angle.

tjkraz

Ummm...that's completely false.

All DVC resorts have villas which can be booked by cash-paying non-members. And the ONLY resort amenity which I can think of that is exclusive to members is access to the Bay Lake Tower's Top of the World lounge.

ALL resort pools and water features are open to all resort guests--DVC member or not.

s&k'smom

Oh thank you tjkraz, I can't tell you how happy that makes me, it what I thought too but thank you for confirming my son will be beyond thrilled. He took one look at the water area and got so excited. Thanks again guys for all the info on this thread. My son is a great kid and doesn't ask for much so when I can give him a Disney vacation I try to go all out.

captainkidd

Ummm...that's completely false.

All DVC resorts have villas which can be booked by cash-paying non-members. And the ONLY resort amenity which I can think of that is exclusive to members is access to the Bay Lake Tower's Top of the World lounge.

ALL resort pools and water features are open to all resort guests--DVC member or not.

Yeah, I would think ESPECIALLY in the GF's case, considering the price tag and it being the Flagship Resort. The situation over at BLT is very odd in my opinion.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, I would think ESPECIALLY in the GF's case, considering the price tag and it being the Flagship Resort. The situation over at BLT is very odd in my opinion.
My 2 cents on BLT pool situation.
1) BLT is on the monorail from MK. Especially in the hot summer months it may be very tempting for park guests (especially locals not staying at a hotel) to hop the monorail to a resort and use the pool to cool off in the afternoon. Because of this I would speculate that CR, Poly and GF have some additional cast members to prevent this. Because the pool at BLT is completely separate from CR they would need to hire additional staff to monitor or "police" the situation and make sure only resort guests use the pool. When i stayed there they didnt have anyone even monitoring the towel bins. Once you got into the pool area you could easily grab a resort towel and pull up a chair. By only allowing BLT resort guests to use the pool they cut out the need for additional CMs. The pool is easily closed off although it would not be difficult to have someone hold the gate for you if you really wanted to get in. Since BLT itself is completely closed off to anyone but guests (and now DVC members going to top of the world) it makes sense the pool is exclusive too.

2) BLT pool is pretty small too. Plenty large enough to accommodate the 300 rooms, but if you add in the 700 rooms at CR plus anyone who happens to hop the monorail and jump in the pool would be over run. Not sure why you would want to use BLT pool if you were staying at CR since their pool is larger and sunnier most of the day, but I guess they don't want to take the risk.

sweetpee_1993

They have many wedding pavilions across property. My cousin is getting married in one at the Boardwalk in December.

Unless there's been major changes in the past couple years there's only 1 wedding pavillion. All the other locations are gazebos, etc. that are prepped and utilized for wedding use. The pavillion is different and there's a cost premium to get married there over and above the other resort locations such as Seabreeze Point at the Boardwalk.

I always dreamed of a vow renewal at the wedding pavillion. I wouldn't do it now even if money was no object. I wouldn't do it during or after construction. No way.

I agree with the OP, the placement of the new building has a definite shoe-horned feeling. That's not a jab at the current appearance because construction sites are always unsightly. Even after completion it's another building wedged in between the existing resort structures and the wedding pavillion. If you've the wedding portraits that used to be done on that strip of beach that now has been eliminated you'd understand just how much more a crying shame the whole thing is. It's sad, really.

bigAWL

Thought this little diagram might help (I merged a blue-print-type plan for the new DVC with the Google Earth map). It shows the wedding pavilion on it's little island at the right. I don't think it should affect the pavilion's view of the MK, but it is a relatively massive structure that is very close, and it took away the sandy beach look that was there. From the Poly, I don't think it will be that big a deal. From the second image below, you can see that it's off to the side of the view from Poly to MK. It may just look like the GF got a little closer.

What I was really trying to do with this mashup was to get a sense of the views from the new DVC rooms. To me it seems clear that any view of the castle will be blocked by the existing GF hotel buildings.

VGFonGoogleEarth.jpg

VGFonGoogleEarthoverview.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom