Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

MonorailOne

[QUOTE="MonorailOne, post: 5989283, member: 83491"The new units are way expensive and a lot of their elements would not take kindly to the rain unlike previous units
Seriously? And it was designed for mid afternoon in Orlando??[/QUOTE]

Not quite. It was designed for 45 minutes of mid afternoon Orlando. So long as the units stay in storage until it's confirmed that weather wouldn't be an issue, they're fine.

However, consider the number of soft-goods the units have. This alone shows a concern for weather: The fur on the bears on Merida's unit; Rapunzel's hair; The sail on Peter Pan's float; The silk flowers on Princess Garden...

MonorailOne

This is why you test during the overnight. Obviously, there was a lack of planning and execution prior to the unveiling. Kind of the typical sop these days.

There were weeks of overnights. Many performers were on 16+ hour days because of this.

Again, an uneducated response that assumes technical glitches could only be the product of poor planning and execution.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is this:

The ONLY people educated enough to actually complain about issues with the BRAND NEW parade are the people making it happen on a daily operation -- ya know, the ones who really have to deal with the issues. I'm tired of reading cynicism over everything Disney does because it shows a complete lack of regard for the technicians, performers, stage managers, parade captains, and Cast Members who actually have to deal with the issues -- both from the technical challenges and from the complaints.

One would think that everyone would just be happy Disney didn't recycle the Crystal Castle float again -- but no, there's just something else for people to complain about.

Nubs70

There were weeks of overnights. Many performers were on 16+ hour days because of this.

Again, an uneducated response that assumes technical glitches could only be the product of poor planning and execution.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is this:

The ONLY people educated enough to actually complain about issues with the BRAND NEW parade are the people making it happen on a daily operation -- ya know, the ones who really have to deal with the issues. I'm tired of reading cynicism over everything Disney does because it shows a complete lack of regard for the technicians, performers, stage managers, parade captains, and Cast Members who actually have to deal with the issues -- both from the technical challenges and from the complaints.

One would think that everyone would just be happy Disney didn't recycle the Crystal Castle float again -- but no, there's just something else for people to complain about.
Uneducated, yea right. Anyone with a modicum of project launch experience, of which I have 20 years, would have developed and addressed a series of punchlist items that would have included issues such as the fire effect, music synchronization, a simple ground clearance of the floats. Your telling me that the only people that deal with the actual production only discovered the issues after the parade went live? Poor planning and execution period.

MonorailOne

Uneducated, yea right. Anyone with a modicum of project launch experience, of which I have 20 years, would have developed and addressed a series of punchlist items that would have included issues such as the fire effect, music synchronization, a simple ground clearance of the floats. Your telling me that the only people that deal with the actual production only discovered the issues after the parade went live? Poor planning and execution period.

There is no issue with the fire effect. It simply can't be utilized when the winds exceed a set speed. Ya know, things like trees... building facades... signage... They might not take kindly to that.

The audio synchronization works perfectly fine, I simply used that to point out how this parade has a plethora of technical firsts.

And there is no ground clearance issues with the units. They all maneuver just fine on the route, so long as the unit driver is aware of their position and stick to the route as a whole.

So, here's a question: If you're so cynical about minor inconveniences from a new product from a world renowned company, why do you go? Better yet, why are you spending your Saturday morning posting negativities in an online forum when you could be out taking a nice walk instead?

PhotoDave219

I find this to be a little uneducated. You don't work in theater or live entertainment, else you'd understand how this statement is not only ridiculous, but offensive.

Technologies like close-proximity flame effects have a lot of hoops to go through. Everything from Safety Committees, to (government employed) Fire Marshals can take an effect out of show for various reasons until they are satisfied with the end result.

If you payed any attention, you'd realize that this parade uses a new method of float tracking that negates the need for "Bed-Loops" such as the one in Disney's Electrical Parade. The parade communicates in real time utilizing data from GPS, NFC, and a host of other technologies to recognize where it is. It relays this information to a server which adjusts the area music (not just the music on the parade units) to the correct track. This has never been done before. By anyone.

When the iPhone debuted in 2007, it had a host of problems. When the iOS 7 update was released, it had a host of problems. Technical glitches are common amongst new, groundbreaking technologies.

If you're going to "hold Disney to the standards they used to hold themselves to" then you should understand that Disney no longer aims for the same standards. Lawsuits, new technologies, increased capacity all play a part in why Disney makes the decisions it does (mainly lawsuits and liability).

This new parade is phenomenal, regardless of the technical glitches it has in it's opening week. I honestly can't think of any broadway production I've been a part of that had a flawless first week.

Thanks for the condescension.... Oh and you just compared a Disney parade to an iPhone.

asianway

There is no issue with the fire effect. It simply can't be utilized when the winds exceed a set speed. Ya know, things like trees... building facades... signage... They might not take kindly to that.

The audio synchronization works perfectly fine, I simply used that to point out how this parade has a plethora of technical firsts.

And there is no ground clearance issues with the units. They all maneuver just fine on the route, so long as the unit driver is aware of their position and stick to the route as a whole.

So, here's a question: If you're so cynical about minor inconveniences from a new product from a world renowned company, why do you go? Better yet, why are you spending your Saturday morning posting negativities in an online forum when you could be out taking a nice walk instead?
Confused. The floats aren't bottoming out leaving LS?

MonorailOne

Thanks for the condescension.... Oh and you just compared a Disney parade to an iPhone.

My intent isn't focused on condescension, I'm trying to point out tangible realities that are being overlooked. Any yes, I did compare a Disney Parade to an iPhone. Both are regarded as the best in their class in terms of design and performance, and both have received a number of comments about technical issues during the early days of release.

Fire is a dangerous thing, and it is a real hazard. The fact that it isn't present should't be a concern. For the record, no official press release ever focused on the fire. Disney always focused on the fact that the dragon is the first unit that is steampunk inspired, and has the level of articulation that she has. The fact that she ever breathed, or will breathe fire is a plus.

Complaining about something you're not guaranteed or promised is pretty silly...

MonorailOne

Confused. The floats aren't bottoming out leaving LS?

The floats will not bottom out leaving the LS bridge and entering the hub so long as the drivers follow the predetermined procedures for entering the hub. There is a very small amount of clearance on some units, but also bear in mind the units have been designed for the "new" hub.

EDIT: Some of the larger units have different procedures to abate the low clearance. For example, Pinnochio's unit is to come straight forward until the front wheels are on black asphalt, and then cut sharply to the left. This leaves about an inch of clearance between the front of the unit and the ground.

The new Hub will have a much smoother grade onto the asphalt.

Last edited:

Nubs70

The floats will not bottom out leaving the LS bridge and entering the hub so long as the drivers follow the predetermined procedures for entering the hub. There is a very small amount of clearance on some units, but also bear in mind the units have been designed for the "new" hub.

EDIT: Some of the larger units have different procedures to abate the low clearance. For example, Pinnochio's unit is to come straight forward until the front wheels are on black asphalt, and then cut sharply to the left. This leaves about an inch of clearance between the front of the unit and the ground.

So why not put in higher clearance springs in the suspension until the new hub is available rather than risk damage to roadway and float?

jrh1985

So, they're redoing the whole hub? What will happen to parades when they work on the part of the hub in front of the LS walkway?

MonorailOne

So why not put in higher clearance springs in the suspension until the new hub is available rather than risk damage to roadway and float?

Floats don't typically have suspension that can be adjusted.They tend to be static for the most part, and usually had proprietary suspension that are integrated into the float. Also, adjusting the the suspension creates undesired effects such as altering the sightline, making the floats taller, creating issues with audio tuning, and voiding clearances.

The easiest example I can think of is the dragon. She breathes fire in close proximity to Guests and therefore Disney is required by law to have a close-prox pyrotechnic display permit. The permit is for the parade as a whole, not the individual unit. Any alteration to the amount of fire she breathes (in excess of her currently permitted amount) or any adjustment to the physical nature of the units could void the permit.

NFC points embedded in the ground could be affected as well.

Designers also tend to err on the side of lower floats to prevent an "undercarriage" view. Kids in particular tend to sit along the route, and a lot of the mechanics under the units could be seen as distracting and not show friendly.

The problem isn't necessarily with the floats. I'd say it has more to do with the drivers either willingly ignoring the current guidelines (I know what I'm doing, I don't need to follow the rules), or simply being uncomfortable with the units (I don't have that much experience with this thing, and I don't trust that the plan will work).

The only float that has comes close to having a clearance issue is the pinnochio unit, all of the others should be fine with a wide margin of error. And if I'm not mistaken, the unit was recycled from another parade.

MonorailOne

So, they're redoing the whole hub? What will happen to parades when they work on the part of the hub in front of the LS walkway?

The hub is currently undergoing a massive expansion that will include more space to view nighttime spectaculars, easier audience control, and new gardens.

It is speculated that this will be the last area of the expansion (it currently is the only area that is visibly untouched by construction) and will be done in a way that should minimize the impact on parades. If I had to guess, I'd think that during January 2015, during a 2-night DEP week, they'd take down Festival of Fantasy to complete the work.

jrh1985

The hub is currently undergoing a massive expansion that will include more space to view nighttime spectaculars, easier audience control, and new gardens.

It is speculated that this will be the last area of the expansion (it currently is the only area that is visibly untouched by construction) and will be done in a way that should minimize the impact on parades. If I had to guess, I'd think that during January 2015, during a 2-night DEP week, they'd take down Festival of Fantasy to complete the work.
I knew about the expansion, I didn't think it would involve Pavement work.

PhotoDave219

My intent isn't focused on condescension, I'm trying to point out tangible realities that are being overlooked. Any yes, I did compare a Disney Parade to an iPhone. Both are regarded as the best in their class in terms of design and performance, and both have received a number of comments about technical issues during the early days of release.

Fire is a dangerous thing, and it is a real hazard. The fact that it isn't present should't be a concern. For the record, no official press release ever focused on the fire. Disney always focused on the fact that the dragon is the first unit that is steampunk inspired, and has the level of articulation that she has. The fact that she ever breathed, or will breathe fire is a plus.

Complaining about something you're not guaranteed or promised is pretty silly...

TL;DR.

WDWLover#1

For gods sake can't people for once praise something on these boards. This parade has be fine and the fires only gone off twice throughout it's first week because of strong winds which we all knew would probs happen because of safety. This parade I fantastic and is miles better than the stupid 10 year celebrate and dream about sharing a dream come true parade. This should be commended. Well done TDO. There I said it. For once someone should commend on doing something right.
Rant is finished carry on :facepalm:

Micaelorum

If someone knows Stephen DiSchiavi, tell him this is absolutely brilliant. It's such an amazing choreo, he mixed classic ballet elegance, parade rhythm and Disney magic. Love that touch of delicated harmonic motion of the arms. I can't stop watching it over and over again. It's art.

Go to 2:44.

SpectroMan93

I don't think it will affect the pavement, but the red concrete around the pavement. This is where the actual slope downward is.
I just wanted to say I really appreciate the insight that you have provided on this parade. It really helps at least me understand the process on what goes on behind the scenes. Also, you have responded more gracefully to the negativity and critics than I could ever, so, thank you. :)

WDWLover#1

This is why you test during the overnight. Obviously, there was a lack of planning and execution prior to the unveiling. Kind of the typical sop these days.
Things will always still go wrong. Anyones who's been part of a live performance, myself, included, knows this. Anything can happen-even if its rehearsed. Like this, donalds hat falls off-

but this is obviously due to "lack of planning and execution" because it live and should go right. If you know anything about live performance you should know and understand this.

djlaosc

In addition to HalloWishes and Boo to You, the MK Events party cd also has the soundtracks to "Magic, Music, and Mayhem", the Enchanted Adventures Parade, the old version of the Villains Mix-n-Mingle, and "Dream Along With Mickey".

Thank you.

Do you know how much the soundtrack CDs at WDW cost?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom