Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

TP2000

Hoping this tops Parade of Dreams from Disneyland because that one was pretty great.

Parade of Dreams at Disneyland was great, and I think many of us assumed it would have been sent out to the Magic Kingdom when it was retired from its 5 year run in 2010. I seem to remember that it's not an option to send most modern parades from Disneyland to Magic Kingdom because the Disneyland floats are too big for the Magic Kingom, which is rather ironic. (I think it's the Liberty Square bridge that's the pinch point?) Parade of Dreams did have some really big floats, as does the current Soundsational Parade at Disneyland.

Steve Davison has done all the recent parades for Disneyland, and he's doing Festival of Fantasy, so I think that's good news for the Magic Kingdom Park.

TP2000

Wait, California's version of the Castle float has been there THAT long? wow! I wonder if that means it's only use will be in the Christmas parase then?

He was talking about the Castle float currently in use at the Magic Kingdom Park. It's been in use since Ronald Reagan was in the White House. :D

WDW Castle Float Debuts for 15th Anniversary - 1986
9558688-large.jpg

There are two Castle floats in use at Disneyland currently. One in the Soundsational Parade that debuted in 2011, which is really a Princess Float but has architectural elements from five different princess castles on it; the Tangled Tower, Snow White's Wishing Well, the palace steps where Cinderella lost her shoe, the castle confines where Aurora spun at her wheel, and the castle ballroom where Belle danced.

Princess Castle Float - Disneyland Soundsational Parade 2011-13
tumblr_m4cvxsVTkZ1r3i6lgo1_500.jpg

And in Disneyland's Halloween Parade there's another "Castle Float", which is recycled from the Parade of Dreams that ran from 2005 to 2010. In October, 2010 they redressed that Castle Float and turned it into a "Spooky Castle" float where Mickey and Fab Five appear in their Halloween costumes in October each year.

Spooky Castle Float - Disneyland Halloween Parade, 2010-13
10_10_DLR_5281-640x455.jpg

http://static.disneylandnews.com/files/2011/09/10_10_DLR_5281-640x455.jpg

Those are the only three "Castle Floats" currently in use in American Disney theme parks; two at Disneyland, one at Magic Kingdom Park.

mm52200

Parade of Dreams at Disneyland was great, and I think many of us assumed it would have been sent out to the Magic Kingdom when it was retired from its 5 year run in 2010. I seem to remember that it's not an option to send most modern parades from Disneyland to Magic Kingdom because the Disneyland floats are too big for the Magic Kingom, which is rather ironic. (I think it's the Liberty Square bridge that's the pinch point?) Parade of Dreams did have some really big floats, as does the current Soundsational Parade at Disneyland.

Steve Davison has done all the recent parades for Disneyland, and he's doing Festival of Fantasy, so I think that's good news for the Magic Kingdom Park.

I think the reason why POD wasn't brought over to WDW wasn't because it was too big for the route but that the floats were too tall for the storage barns. TDO was too cheap I'm pretty sure to make the proper adjustments to the backstage areas. Also knowing TDO they would have operated POD a year full out and then proceed to cut the acrobats and show stops.

Lee

Adventurer

If he can tear himself away from his theatrical pursuits...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 157

disneyfan1995

True! Those floats were huge, but were so breathtaking to see in person!! I'm very excited to see how this parade takes shape once it goes into construction and everything.

TTA94

I think the reason why POD wasn't brought over to WDW wasn't because it was too big for the route but that the floats were too tall for the storage barns. TDO was too cheap I'm pretty sure to make the proper adjustments to the backstage areas. Also knowing TDO they would have operated POD a year full out and then proceed to cut the acrobats and show stops.

Well these new floats for FoF look like they will be tall.. And IMO I think MK should have large floats that really fill up the parade route. The best parade was Surprise Celebration with the huge balloon floats.

secondstartotheright

Oh my goodness, I'm SO happy to hear this! I was actually at MK today, watching CADCT and I was thinking how old and tacky the floats looked, and how they don't blend well together. And I love the concept art for Flights of Fantasy, looks really cool and unique! No more castle float :p

Tip Top Club

Parade of dreams would have fit just fine, it was a moment of confusion, we were supposed to get Parade of Dreams, they had even dotted the Is and crossed the Ts and then at the last minute they decided to get a brand new day parade instead, and then when the budget was slashed, it was too late and Parade of Dreams had been (mostly) destroyed. So once again we found ourselves stuck with these Snow Globe Floats.

As for Float Size, it's obvious that Festival of Fantasy will be quite large, this parade is going to prompt a massive overhaul of Magic Kingdom's Background Music System (Which has already begun) so expect a pretty awesome underliner, and the ability to go either direction (which the Electrical Parade is currently not able to do because of the sound system, it can only step off on Main Street). Everyone also might want to take one last picture of the wreaths over Main Street at Christmastime this year as well...

jrh1985

Parade of dreams would have fit just fine, it was a moment of confusion, we were supposed to get Parade of Dreams, they had even dotted the Is and crossed the Ts and then at the last minute they decided to get a brand new day parade instead, and then when the budget was slashed, it was too late and Parade of Dreams had been (mostly) destroyed. So once again we found ourselves stuck with these Snow Globe Floats.

As for Float Size, it's obvious that Festival of Fantasy will be quite large, this parade is going to prompt a massive overhaul of Magic Kingdom's Background Music System (Which has already begun) so expect a pretty awesome underliner, and the ability to go either direction (which the Electrical Parade is currently not able to do because of the sound system, it can only step off on Main Street). Everyone also might want to take one last picture of the wreaths over Main Street at Christmastime this year as well...
Day parades have started at Splash since 1994, from TS and from splash in bad weather and other days since spring 2009. Plus, MSEP and Spectro in earlier years started at Big Thunder/Splash for TV, so what's different about MSEP 2010?

SpectroMan93

Everyone also might want to take one last picture of the wreaths over Main Street at Christmastime this year as well...

Do you mean that this year will be the last time wreaths will hang over Main Street? I highly doubt that a permanent removal of the wreaths would happen. They are such an iconic part of the image of MK during the Christmas season, there would be an uproar if they were removed. And not just from crazy Disney fans, but from the general park goer as well.

jrh1985

Just thougut of this... Is it possible the MSEP might change direction when FOF opens? MSEP would look wonderful if it came down MS from the Castle!

As for the Christmas Wreaths, They may wait until after MVMCP to put them up, get the Chandeliers from DLRP, or use Epcot's Lights Of Winter That's what DLRP started with. Are there LOW left yet backstsge? MK dealt with this before with Surprise Celebration. They were always up in time for Christmas Day Parade (back then it was live) except 1991 when they wanted to show off Surprise Celebration. DL did the same thing with POD in 2005 when DL wanted POD between Christmas and New Years. I'm fine not having the wreaths one year for anniversary reasons (20th in 1991, 50th in 2005) I don't think FOF is meant to be an anniversary parade, the 45th isn't until 2016. It will be very interesting to see what DL does with wreaths if they have Christmas Parties this year and keep Soundsational running.

JustInTime

Somehow missed this news! This is great! Also, didn't the insiders say that this was only one of Steve's big projects to come? Could there be more?

Tip Top Club

Do you mean that this year will be the last time wreaths will hang over Main Street? I highly doubt that a permanent removal of the wreaths would happen. They are such an iconic part of the image of MK during the Christmas season, there would be an uproar if they were removed. And not just from crazy Disney fans, but from the general park goer as well.

An uproar like the lights of winter?

There's probably a way around it if they want too, but it's the trade off for having big parade floats. Enjoy the Wreaths while you can, because I would put money on this being their final year. We can only hope that some sort of fantastic replacement is planned and that Holiday Services is putting their efforts into that as soon as they are done with New Fantasyland!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom