Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

WDWLover#1

Speaking about the new parade I asked Steve this via facebook messaging:
Steve, compared to soundsational how is the budget different to festival of fantasy? I would understand if you're not allowed to say but I want to know what to expect so I won't be disappointed.
And Steve replied-
Off the record, it has a good budget. I think you will be happy in the end. There are some amazing units.

SpectroMan93

Then my friend, who works on the upper end of the ladder at Main Street Ops, told me that there will be 26 (that's no typo: 26) floats. And the floats will be so massive that new housing structures will be built and that lovely Christmas garland that hangs across Main Street will have to go or be raised.

The somewhat missed Spectromagic has been left out in the rain to rust. Literally. The parade is largely beyond repair and deemed unworthy of the continual cost of storage so within the next few days it will be destroyed.

I assume that of those 26 (if the person really is a credible source), 7-9 will be large floats, while the other 16-19 are small units in between. Still, this is really going to be a massive parade. I believe Spectro had about 29 units, so Fantasy should be about the same scale and grandeur. On that topic, I am devastated that Spectro will not be able to take to the streets of the Magic Kingdom again. I remember watching the parade as a kid and singing the score on the way back home with my siblings. My sister even got to be a dragonfly in the parade when she worked at Disney, so this show has a very special place in my heart. Hopefully Spectromagic will be reincarnated the same way Tokyo Disneyland redid MSEP, because it is definitely worthy of such a makeover.

DJMoore2011

I think the "New Fantasyland" reference is just a loose tie in. Besides, we all know how long parades that are created for specific celebrations or events hang around (SADCT, CADCT, MJJP, DSMC, heck even DL's Parade of dreams made for the 50th lasted about five years.

Ok I tried looking up the following and could not find them a little help with the abbreviations please

SADCT
CADCT
MJJP
DSMC

Thank you
DJ

DJMoore2011

so CADCT is ending before FOF gets work done????????? I figured that only a night would be between CADCT and FOF. Is MK planning a longer run of MOUACT????? LTM Parades??? Will there be a parade after CADCT???? (I'm not talking about FOF)

FOF??
MQUACT??
LTM Parades????

Sorry new to all this and trying to learn all the abbreviations.

cslafferty

Thank you, I am trying to figure it all out but sometimes I swear it's like swimming in alphabet soup :rolleyes:
LOL!! I remember when I first joined (and, mind you, I thought myself THE expert on anything Disney!), I felt like I was either on a foreign language website, or I had just joined a secret society without the secret code book! It took me FOREVER to read through threads because I had to decipher the acronyms! One day, someone used "??" in a reply, and I thought "THAT one I know!"

TP2000

I assume that of those 26 (if the person really is a credible source), 7-9 will be large floats, while the other 16-19 are small units in between. Still, this is really going to be a massive parade..

Yes, that is very good news! But I don't think we can consider those "26 Floats" to be full-size parade floats. Likely what that means is that there are 26 "units" that have wheels on them that roll along with the parade in one form or another.

Using Steve Davison's recent new parade from Disneyland, Soundsational, as an example there are 16 "units" in that parade:

5 full-size floats (Mickey Mouse, Mermaid, Princesses, Tiana's Showboat, & Mary Poppins' London)
4 smaller "drum floats" (Aladdin, Three Caballeros, Lion King, Peter Pan)
7 rolling accessory units (Goofy on the cymbals, Mary Poppins on her horse, the snail behind the Mermaid float, etc.)

The run time on Soundsational from curbside start to finish is 16 minutes flat. If there are an additional 10 units in Festival of Fantasy, that would seem to add at least a few more minutes, if not 5+ to take the Festival of Fantasy run time to something north of 20 minutes long. Perhaps 7 or 8 major floats, plus two more small floats, and a half dozen accessory units to get to 26 for Festival of Fantasy? That would be even better news!

There are quite a few live musicians on the floats, or marching alongside, in Soundsational. Have we heard anything about live musicians on the floats for Festival of Fantasy?

Also, what have we heard about water effects for Festival of Fantasy? Soundsational has bubbles, and Pixar Play Parade at DCA has LOTS of squirting water effects and a billion bubbles. Both of those parades were done by Steve Davison in recent years, and I have always thought the interactive water effects would be even more popular in Orlando's climate than they are in Southern California.

DJMoore2011

LOL!! I remember when I first joined (and, mind you, I thought myself THE expert on anything Disney!), I felt like I was either on a foreign language website, or I had just joined a secret society without the secret code book! It took me FOREVER to read through threads because I had to decipher the acronyms! One day, someone used "??" in a reply, and I thought "THAT one I know!"

Yep that is about how I am, I have the two threads on here that have some of the acronyms but not all, so I am just to the point I ask :D so far everyone has been great with the answers and helping out the newbie:rolleyes:

asianway

Yes, that is very good news! But I don't think we can consider those "26 Floats" to be full-size parade floats. Likely what that means is that there are 26 "units" that have wheels on them that roll along with the parade in one form or another.

Using Steve Davison's recent new parade from Disneyland, Soundsational, as an example there are 16 "units" in that parade:

7 full-size floats (Mickey Mouse, Mermaid, Princesses, Tiana's Showboat, & Mary Poppins' London)
4 smaller "drum floats" (Aladdin, Three Caballeros, Lion King, Peter Pan)
5 rolling accessory units (Goofy on the cymbals, Mary Poppins on her horse, the snail behind the Mermaid float, etc.)

The run time on Soundsational from curbside start to finish is 16 minutes flat. If there are an additional 10 units in Festival of Fantasy, that would seem to add at least a few more minutes, if not 5+ to take the Festival of Fantasy run time to something north of 20 minutes long. Perhaps 8 or 9 major floats, plus two more small floats, and a half dozen accessory units to get to 26 for Festival of Fantasy? That would be even better news!

There are quite a few live musicians on the floats, or marching alongside, in Soundsational. Have we heard anything about live musicians on the floats for Festival of Fantasy?

Also, what have we heard about water effects for Festival of Fantasy? Soundsational has bubbles, and Pixar Play Parade at DCA has LOTS of squirting water effects and a billion bubbles. Both of those parades were done by Steve Davison in recent years, and I have always thought the interactive water effects would be even more popular in Orlando's climate than they are in Southern California.
Some of the concept art leads you to believe there will be acrobats. Seeing how that worked out for BPB, are we taking bets as to how long this parade exists in its intended form before MK ops starts cutting?

TTA94

Do we know anything about a lighting package in the works? I think someone said the sound system is already being updated? If this parade ends up being as massive as some are thinking, I am betting that FoF will not only replace CADCT but MSEP as well.

TP2000

Do we know anything about a lighting package in the works? I think someone said the sound system is already being updated? If this parade ends up being as massive as some are thinking, I am betting that FoF will not only replace CADCT but MSEP as well.

Good question! That's exactly how Steve Davison has been designing new parades for Anaheim and Hong Kong for almost a decade now; with onboard lighting effects built-in for nighttime viewing. Parade of Dreams, Soundsational, Pixar Play Parade, etc. all were designed with onboard lighting for evening performances.

I've never understood why they schedule the "Three O'clock Parade" at WDW right during the peak thunderstorm hour. Onboard lighting for Festival of Fantasy could allow them to shift parade times towards evening and get the parade out of the rain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom