Express Monorail struck by lightning

disney4life2008

The weather was really bad this weekend. I went to HS last night to try for Fantasmic! and about 20 minutes before show time tropical rain came with tremendous lightning and thunder that lasted until about midnight. On the flip side, crowds seem to be really low. I am going to give it another try next week.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
There should be no backlash.

Express had a power surge. Third boat is down for maintainence in the dock so only two boats.

A fleet of buses was laid on again from bay 26 to the TTC. This was clearly and regularly announced at park exit.

Time from end of wishes to driving out of parking lot = 20 minutes.

Very well managed and very efficient.

Yeah, they always have buses on standby during park open/close for when the monorail goes down.

Well, then something changed or someone left and failed to tell someone else.
After park close, this was not explained to guests leaving.
There was a lot of frustration when the lines were pretty bad on both sides.
Little to no communication about the buses.
...and they docked the 2nd ferry at 1130, which just added insult to injury.

Well that is typical Transportation leadership.

The smart ppl don't rush out of the parks at closing, they hang around until the mass lightens.

We hung back 30 minutes just to let it subside. It was raining earlier, and the in-park was really low, so 'the masses' were not the issue.
After we witnessed the second ferry dock, I walked back out of the queue to head over to the resort line when another cm stopped us. Then says resort was closed. I pulled him aside and told him that their communication was pretty poor. Asked which bus gate was running TTC; said only Wilderness Lodge/2 at that point. Another 2 dozen people followed us out. Again, I understand the situation, but let people know what buses are running.

I get angry when stupid happens. Especially when there's an easy answer.

Wow! We waited and were entertained by the madness!! I can tell you the transportation plan at Park exit was NOT communicated, and as I stated in my original post, many were really hacked. The bus lines (25 & 26) were long, long, long, an I don't see how anyone could have made to TTC in 20 mins (especially after Wishes). We were lucky enough to have a car at TTC and Pop Century (we checked in separately as we arrived from different locales), so we took the bus back to Pop, and drove back to TTC to retrieve the 2nd car.

And again, for the record, WE WERE ENTERTAINED with the reaction of SO MANY who were REALLY fired up over this! I guess they DID think Disney could control lightning!! Must admit controlling lightning (ability to control and direct) would make me rethink allowing selfie sticks at the World;)

Da Man

The bricks for the "Walk Around the World" were offered during the "Disney Decade". The program, "to sell people bricks", began in 1994. The "Disney Decade" and the associated 10 year building plan came after the "groundbreaking" 1986 and the "opening" in 1988 of the Grand Floridian Resort. A moving water bridge was rumored to be in he planning stages to complete the "circle" for this "Walk Around the World" but I have never heard it firmly stated.

Incidentally, the contractor and insurance company who underwrote the construction bond were sued over the "Grand Floridian project".

*1023*

Edited to tag @s8film40 and @Victor Kelly

Can you expound on the lawsuit aspect?

Just a curious legal eagle...

Goofyernmost

The bricks for the "Walk Around the World" were offered during the "Disney Decade". The program, "to sell people bricks", began in 1994. The "Disney Decade" and the associated 10 year building plan came after the "groundbreaking" 1986 and the "opening" in 1988 of the Grand Floridian Resort. A moving water bridge was rumored to be in he planning stages to complete the "circle" for this "Walk Around the World" but I have never heard it firmly stated.

Incidentally, the contractor and insurance company who underwrote the construction bond were sued over the "Grand Floridian project".

*1023*

Edited to tag @s8film40 and @Victor Kelly
OK, so apparently my memory is not as good as it once was and I stand corrected. Sorry for the inaccurate information. It just seem like I remember them from ages before that. Anyway, we need to bear in mind that Disney announced many things that they hadn't completely thought through back then. Probably the reason why they hold back so much information now. I guess it would have been nice to have it go around, but, I really seriously doubt that many people would have used it to a point where it was cost effective.

Like I said in an earlier post, who seriously wants to walk another mile after spending all day long on their feet in a theme park. Yes, there are some hearty individuals that could do that, but, why when transportation is available that would be relaxing and easier on the dogs. I think that they just thought that considering the cost in both building and maintaining it for the few that would use it was not worth it and added value to the experience to only a few people. And what about nighttime security? And what about those critters that would come out after dark to take advantage of those nice warm stones? As far as those bricks go...obviously they didn't sell enough to go all the way around there anyway, so no one lost out on anything. Those in the entrance were seen by everyone, anything that extended out would have been growing weeds and dying of loneliness.

s8film40

Let's complain to get free stuff. You do realize they write books on how to complain for free stuff?
The sad truth is those who complain at Disney get free stuff, often with very little resistance from Disney management. Those who don't complain are paying higher prices to cover the cost of those who do complain. So at Disney if your not complaining your helping to pay for someone else's vacation.

Da Man

It's a matter of public record. I believe an article in the Sentinel from that time frame outlined the issues. I will effort reaching back that far for you....

EDITED TO ADD LINK: @Da Man

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1995-10-13/business/9510120783_1_grand-floridian-lee-lewis-suit

*1023*

Appreciate the info. Not much in the article, but always interesting to see a slice of WDW history, nonetheless. I was operating under a false assumption the lawsuit related to the 'Brick Road' debacle.

prberk

It seems that the logical approach to the resort monorail if the express one is down is to continue to allow TTC guests on it, as normal, but to limit the numbers somewhat, allowing for boarding passgers from the resorts. But otherwise use the capacity of the resort monorail at least to the extent that it can be used.

Monorail_Orange

It seems that the logical approach to the resort monorail if the express one is down is to continue to allow TTC guests on it, as normal, but to limit the numbers somewhat, allowing for boarding passgers from the resorts. But otherwise use the capacity of the resort monorail at least to the extent that it can be used.
Just to play devil's advocate, how would you distinguish between who can get on resort unlimited (monorail resort guests) and everyone else up to the limited number, without causing massive delays to all guests then wanting to board the resort monorail?

s8film40

Just to play devil's advocate, how would you distinguish between who can get on resort unlimited (monorail resort guests) and everyone else up to the limited number, without causing massive delays to all guests then wanting to board the resort monorail?
Probably the best way to incorporate something like this is using the Magic Bands. You could have two separate entrances one that's just open and another that has a turnstile activated by a monorail resort Magic Band. Essentially this could just be a FP+ for the monorail with no reservation required. I don't think this will ever happen but I could see it being a nice perk.

Mickey5150

I'm always confused what people want Disney to do with lightning.
Well don't they use lightning to send the time rovers back in time? I mean a bolt of lightning has at least 1.21 gigawatts of electricity which should be enough for time travel.

prberk

I was not being that sophisticated. In fact I was not considering that a monorail resort guest at the MK had any preference over anyone else when waiting to board, although that could be done -- I just don't think that is necessary or warranted when the monorail itself is a mode of transportation. The express line is the convenience, not the other way around. Had they not built two lines, the monorail would make every stop for all passengers anyway.

What I was addressing was simply how to make room on the only working monorail for guests waiting to board at a resort, especially at the Contemporary in the evening (when resort line is headed from MK to TTC) or at the Polynesian or Grand Floridian in morning (when it is headed from TTC to MK), by limiting the number of guests allowed to board from the MK or TTC to allow for some room for boarding guests. Some will likely depart, and others will want to come on, so it will not need to be a lot, just enough so that a reasonable, predictable number will be able to added at a resort stop.

By "resort guests" in my last post, I misspoke. I should have said, "guests waiting to board at a monorail resort." I was not necessarily restricting the monorail so that guests staying at a resort had guaranteed immediate access to the monorail. After all, some people waiting to board at the Contemporary may not be resort guests themselves, but may have gone there to take a break or eat a meal.

I do not think it is necessary to give monorail resort guests EXCLUSIVE or even IMMEDIATE access to the monorail if express is down, no matter how much they paid. I think REASONABLE access to the monorail (as part of a larger transportation system) is the standard. In the limited times that the express line is down, I think it is more imperative to keep people moving, especially during the post-fireworks rush - and especially if it is bad weather. So, using the monorail to its reasonable capacity, along with buses and boats, would be the right answer. Don't forget that there is committed boat transportation to these resorts as well.

JoeCamel

I was not being that sophisticated. In fact I was not considering that a monorail resort guest at the MK had any preference over anyone else when waiting to board, although that could be done -- I just don't think that is necessary or warranted when the monorail itself is a mode of transportation. The express line is the convenience, not the other way around. Had they not built two lines, the monorail would make every stop for all passengers anyway.

What I was addressing was simply how to make room on the only working monorail for guests waiting to board at a resort, especially at the Contemporary in the evening (when resort line is headed from MK to TTC) or at the Polynesian or Grand Floridian in morning (when it is headed from TTC to MK), by limiting the number of guests allowed to board from the MK or TTC to allow for some room for boarding guests. Some will likely depart, and others will want to come on, so it will not need to be a lot, just enough so that a reasonable, predictable number will be able to added at a resort stop.

By "resort guests" in my last post, I misspoke. I should have said, "guests waiting to board at a monorail resort." I was not necessarily restricting the monorail so that guests staying at a resort had guaranteed immediate access to the monorail. After all, some people waiting to board at the Contemporary may not be resort guests themselves, but may have gone there to take a break or eat a meal.

I do not think it is necessary to give monorail resort guests EXCLUSIVE or even IMMEDIATE access to the monorail if express is down, no matter how much they paid. I think REASONABLE access to the monorail (as part of a larger transportation system) is the standard.

That is the way it normally runs but In the limited times that the express line is down, I think it is more imperative to keep people moving, especially during the post-fireworks rush - and especially if it is bad weather. So, using the monorail to its reasonable capacity, along with buses and boats, would be the right answer. Don't forget that there is committed boat transportation to these resorts as well.

That is the way it normally is run with the CMs only loading enough at the TTC or the MK to allow for resort guests to board down the line. If te express is down at closing there would be a rush that could not be controlled. This is not the '70s when people had manners, it is 2015 and each one for them selves prevails. Too bad for the CMs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom