Express Monorail struck by lightning

seafoodbuffet

Why is there no walkway from the GF to the magic kingdom? I'd rather walk it... especially in the morning or if we stay until closing.

There's a waterway that impedes progress from GF to MK. You can see it on the map here (the map should center on the waterway): http://bit.ly/WDWgfWalk
The monorail has a high bridge but there's no pedestrian access. As for why, probably because behind that is storage for the electrical water pageant floats. There'd have to be a draw bridge or a pretty high pedestrian bridge for those floats to clear. Clearly it could be done, probably deemed "not worth it" so far.

I would have loved to been able to make this walk too.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm always confused what people want Disney to do with lightning.
"Due to the lighting and safety of our guests, Test Track is closed."
"WWWHAAAATTTT?!?!!!! GIVE ME REFUNDS!! REFUNDS NOW!!!"

*Test Track operates while lightning is present. Guests get injure*
"THEY DONT CARE ABOUT OUR SAFETY!!! REFUNDS!!!!! REFUNDS, NOW!!!!!"

There is no win.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

There is no win.

Um, Build a few more attractions so the loss of one temporarily does not materially impact the guest experience.

JasonDeyoung

You mean Disney didn't close the dome over property to avoid bad weather?! Cmon Disney, get your heads in the game here. It's central Florida. We don't get bad weather here, especially during the summer! (This post was pure sarcasm for the ones who don't see it) :)

s8film40

There is no win.
This was supposed to be connected as part of the "Walk Around the World" brick program. I guess they just didn't make enough money off the bricks to build a draw bridge.

BwanaBob

The smart ppl don't rush out of the parks at closing, they hang around until the mass lightens.

We hung back 30 minutes just to let it subside. It was raining earlier, and the in-park was really low, so 'the masses' were not the issue.
After we witnessed the second ferry dock, I walked back out of the queue to head over to the resort line when another cm stopped us. Then says resort was closed. I pulled him aside and told him that their communication was pretty poor. Asked which bus gate was running TTC; said only Wilderness Lodge/2 at that point. Another 2 dozen people followed us out. Again, I understand the situation, but let people know what buses are running.

I get angry when stupid happens. Especially when there's an easy answer.

Goofyernmost

This was supposed to be connected as part of the "Walk Around the World" brick program. I guess they just didn't make enough money off the bricks to build a draw bridge.
At the time the bricks came out there was no Grand Floridian at all, just an empty space with the first used piece of land being the Wedding Chapel (the scariest ride in WDW) That would be a long walk to get to the Poly especially if your feet were already on fire after a long day in MK.

s8film40

At the time the bricks came out there was no Grand Floridian at all, just an empty space with the first used piece of land being the Wedding Chapel (the scariest ride in WDW) That would be a long walk to get to the Poly especially if your feet were already on fire after a long day in MK.
I don't off hand remember when the brick program started but I'm pretty sure the GF had already been built by then.

Goofyernmost

I don't off hand remember when the brick program started but I'm pretty sure the GF had already been built by then.
I remember the bricks from 1983 unless I am getting confused about them. They seem to have always been there. I don't know when the Floridian was built.

s8film40

I remember the bricks from 1983 unless I am getting confused about them. They seem to have always been there. I don't know when the Floridian was built.
There's some information here but it doesn't say when it started.
http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/walkaroundtheworld.htm
I don't think the program would have been around that long. In any case the GF site was always intended to be a resort just like the Mediterranean site had they eventually sold bricks there. It would be nice if regardless of the brick program they would build a bridge there. Probably won't happen though as I'm sure it would be expensive, not to mention you would have to have people staff it when raising the bridge.

Victor Kelly

Wrong, I have monorail audio that proves GF was around, and the audio talks about walk around the world. Mrthemepark audio has it on youtube. It is pure BS that the walkway was never completed, especially when they charged $80 per brick.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

The bricks for the "Walk Around the World" were offered during the "Disney Decade". The program, "to sell people bricks", began in 1994. The "Disney Decade" and the associated 10 year building plan came after the "groundbreaking" 1986 and the "opening" in 1988 of the Grand Floridian Resort. A moving water bridge was rumored to be in he planning stages to complete the "circle" for this "Walk Around the World" but I have never heard it firmly stated.

Incidentally, the contractor and insurance company who underwrote the construction bond were sued over the "Grand Floridian project".

*1023*

Edited to tag @s8film40 and @Victor Kelly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom