Expedition Everest effects status watch

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Would flip-flopping the two show scenes (1) projected shadow yeti 2) AA yeti) make a better attraction?

I always thought the Yeti AA would be more impactful, if seen mid-ride. Not to mention the extended time it would allow riders to see him vs the current blink and you miss it. I know from a story standpoint it probably makes more sense to have the AA as the grand finale scene but an argument could be made that the yeti chasing after the train riders and ripping up the track at the end of the ride would make a more poignant (Yeti get's his revenge) ending.

On a unrelated note: If Disney is struggling to get this guy in A mode again because of limited funding; I can think of a well-known Tumbler Cups and Coolers company that can sponsor the ride.

Musicman20

Would flip-flopping the two show scenes (1) projected shadow yeti 2) AA yeti) make a better attraction?

I always thought the Yeti AA would be more impactful, if seen mid-ride. Not to mention the extended time it would allow riders to see him vs the current blink and you miss it. I know from a story standpoint it probably makes more sense to have the AA as the grand finale scene but an argument could be made that the yeti chasing after the train riders and ripping up the track at the end of the ride would make a more poignant (Yeti get's his revenge) ending.

On a unrelated note: If Disney is struggling to get this guy in A mode again because of limited funding; I can think of a well-known Tumbler Cups and Coolers company that can sponsor the ride.

I really like the idea of the AA in that section! It could be pitch black and he could light up, move a little, and roar....cool idea....probably a more stable area as well as it seems quite a large surface...(I could be very wrong!).

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member

I've had an idea for that scene in a notebook for a while, here it is: Train arrives after going backwards. You hear/ feel the yeti moving around you (Sound/wind FX). Then, just as you're about to roll forward, a smaller yeti AA lights up and takes a swipe at you. Then at the end, you see the big yeti. This would make it feel more like the yeti is making one last attempt to grab you before you leave his territory.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
They were going for a "did that just happen? was that real?" reaction with the placement of the yeti in the ride. Only seeing a quick glimpse of it helps keep it shrouded in mystery and legend.
But, the "quick glimpse" as you put ti didn't give people enough time to experience A Mode yeti

EagleScout610

Premium Member
No it didn't, and that's why I believe the absence of A mode yeti doesn't hinder the entertainment value of the ride all that much, but that's what they were going for.
I've seen A Mode yeti, and I've seen B Mode yeti. I think B Mode actually provides the "mystery" vibe to the yeti

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
No it didn't, and that's why I believe the absence of A mode yeti doesn't hinder the entertainment value of the ride all that much, but that's what they were going for.

If true and I suspect you are correct; the likelyhood that A mode will return is slim given that Yeti is only seen for 1.2 secs even less if riders are looking in a different direction. Bad show in my opinion.

What good is adding a hefty price tag AA to the attraction if only half of the riders see him? For those "once in a lifetime" Disney Visitors I'd be surprised if they could identify a single feature of the animatronic, if asked. So why bother with the tech in the first place.

A cm in a Yeti costume or even a static Yeti would have worked equally well. If imagineers went thru the effort to make a detailed work of art you'd think they'd make darn sure it's featured and showcased -- especially if the premise of the attraction centers around the Yeti.

I just think they goofed. Wasted money and bad show and continues with the awkward bird on a stick (that faces the wrong) in an effort to distract you from the slightly too-long track switch transition. I guess Im just hard on this one because it could have been better if fleshed out.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'll just leave this here - Rohde on instagram last night:
The Natural History Museum of London. Where I had the pleasure of seeing a very large animated
figure that worked perfectly well. I'm just saying…

Wow that's impressive; both the T-rex and Rohde's trolling! The comments are hilarious. Rohde with the mic drop! OK Disney, your turn!

Last edited:

Seabasealpha1

I dunno if I would call it an issue of "funding". I think it's more an issue of gumption. And the fact that they have had some success/failure in trying to get people to see AK as a full day park. WIth Pandora on the cusp of opening, I'd place my bet that they'll get back to Everest after the two new rides open in Pandora. I'd imagine they want to wait to keep the park at a higher crowd level than they had pre-Everest. So, they probably figure they can squeak by with this craptastic show until they get Pandora online. I'd imagine the Yeti is one of the more present of issues on someone's mind when it comes to AK's attractions that aren't new and shiny...

Though, I do find it strange that Big Thunder gets a serious refurb almost every year...but Everest (which is much more intense and probably harder on the track) doesn't...anyone care to elaborate on that part?

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Though, I do find it strange that Big Thunder gets a serious refurb almost every year...but Everest (which is much more intense and probably harder on the track) doesn't...anyone care to elaborate on that part?
MK has more thrillers to fall back on if BTMRR goes 101. It has Splash, Space, 7D, and all the other rides. AK only has DINOSAUR, Kali, Safari, and Rafiki train to fall back on if Everest goes 101.

Ralphlaw

I'm pretty sure that the Yeti can be fixed, but it will take a major shutdown to do so. Thus, wait for Pandora to open, and then shut it down. Indeed, AK has little to fall back on if EE goes out completely.

With that being said, the Band-Aid of disco yeti is an embarrassment. Who in their right mind would let that flash of light be the "state of the art" for a decade? Given projection technology, and the actual presence of a huge scary beast, something better than a $20 strobe light from Ace Hardware should have been installed by now. I guarantee that neither Walt nor Roy would have allowed this mediocrity to fester for a decade. If you can't completely fix it, fine. But do something. I can guarantee that I could gather ten guys that I know and, given 10 or 20 nights to work on it, could come up with something far better than disco yeti. And it wouldn't cost more than $100,000 to do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom