Excitement level for Avatar opening?

How excited are you about Avatar completion & opening?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PorterRedkey

I have always said that the internet has ruined anticipation. Videos, photos, interviews, reviews, websites, etc. are so tempting that you almost can't help but check stuff out ahead of time. I always contrast today back to when I was a kid. I remember when the Empire Strikes Back came out, the level of surprise to almost everyone when it was revealed that Darth Vader was Luke's father was great. That is hard to make happen anymore, to the point that people complain about the level of secrecy a director like J.J. Abrams maintains about his movies. This instant gratification that permeates society now is hard to turn off with most things. So in this case, I am glad that they are taking this approach.

Spoiler alert! ;)

Daveeeeed

I definitely gave this a 5. I think it won't be as good as Star Wars, and I won't like it as much, but the same can probably be said for Cars Land, Hogsmeade & Diagon Alley. If you gave it a 1 you seriously need to at least give it a three just for the land itself. I am all around very excited for it, and Rivers of Light.

KikoKea

Above average, but I do have a few reservations: only 2 rides after all the time and money and only 1 dining experience that we know of. I had hoped for 3 rides with a TS and QS.

But, the land looks to be absolutely gorgeous and I'm looking forward to spending time there at night. We love the rides and seeing the innovative tech Disney comes up with, but we really enjoy the ambiance, decor, landscaping, and general feel of an area.

Mike S

Agreed - although I do think Disney Springs is a great upgrade.
Disney Springs is also just a mall. I have plenty of malls within a much shorter driving distance. What I don't have are theme parks with amazing rides. That's what brings me to Orlando.

Mickey5150

So a whole new land, 2 new rides and so many people here are meh? Why am I not surprised? So we lost pocahantas but are gaining so much more, this is something for everyone on this website to be excited for.

doctornick

A lot of people have fond memories of when a land had 3 or 4 attractions.

Yeah, I don't know where and why this trend started that having 2 attractions is a "good amount" for a theme park land. Personally, I would think shooting for 4+ attractions should be the target. One of the things that historically has made Disney great is not just the headliners, but the multiple other attractions that round out things.

The Empress Lilly

A lot of people have fond memories of when a land had 3 or 4 attractions.
I think that is one of the weak points of the new trend of single IP lands - a natural limit to number of attractions. I mean, I'm moderately excited about Avatar, but I don't need five Avatar rides. 3-4 would be overkill already too.

Potter seems to belie this, then again, I do consider UNI's Potter Splatter overkill too.

lebeau

I'd be more excited if it was something I expected to experience some time in the near future. But we've put future WDW plans on indefinite hold. I'm tentatively thinking our next trip will be some time after Star Wars opens. That could also be our last trip. Whenever that happens, I'll make sure to check out the additions to the other parks like Avland, but it's not something I'm making a special trip to see.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yeah, I don't know where and why this trend started that having 2 attractions is a "good amount" for a theme park land. Personally, I would think shooting for 4+ attractions should be the target. One of the things that historically has made Disney great is not just the headliners, but the multiple other attractions that round out things.

But taking the other points of view, where did this trend start that people expect more the two rides in a park expansion? The only exception I can thing of to this in the US was Carsland which had three. This is also not out of the ordinary for AK. Africa only has one ride and Asia opened with one, but still only has two.

doctornick

But taking the other points of view, where did this trend start that people expect more the two rides in a park expansion? The only exception I can thing of to this in the US was Carsland which had three. This is also not out of the ordinary for AK. Africa only has one ride and Asia opened with one, but still only has two.

I don't think a particular expansion "needs" 3+ rides, but I think that a well fleshed out land in general needs more than 2 attractions. One of the issues that Disney has suffered from in their newer parks -- and it particularly shows in WDW -- is that lands have been under built and then never or rarely get additions down the road. To go back to your examples, I would argue that both Asia and Africa would benefit from additional attractions. They are well designed lands, though, and to their credit at least have both had some additions since their original opening.

The issue is IMHO that lands sometimes tend to be built and then viewed as "complete" and not touched again. Does anyone think that a third ride is coming to Pandora down the road, even if it is a smashing success and could use the capacity? I don't.

Not everything has to be as dense as DL's Fantasyland, but I miss the days when lands where build with a large number of various different experiences -- so if one attraction was off line or too busy, the area would still have multiple other choices to try. In particular, I think a lot of lands would benefit from smaller scale C-ticket rides to balance out things.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think a particular expansion "needs" 3+ rides, but I think that a well fleshed out land in general needs more than 2 attractions. One of the issues that Disney has suffered from in their newer parks -- and it particularly shows in WDW -- is that lands have been under built and then never or rarely get additions down the road. To go back to your examples, I would argue that both Asia and Africa would benefit from additional attractions. They are well designed lands, though, and to their credit at least have both had some additions since their original opening.

The issue is IMHO that lands sometimes tend to be built and then viewed as "complete" and not touched again. Does anyone think that a third ride is coming to Pandora down the road, even if it is a smashing success and could use the capacity? I don't.

Not everything has to be as dense as DL's Fantasyland, but I miss the days when lands where build with a large number of various different experiences -- so if one attraction was off line or too busy, the area would still have multiple other choices to try. In particular, I think a lot of lands would benefit from smaller scale C-ticket rides to balance out things.

I understand what you are saying, but we also have to remember that single IP lands a relatively new thing. Do we really want 3 or 4 rides all themed to the same IP?

BrianLo

Depends on the breakdown. I'll take two worthy E-tickets over a smattering of C/B's any day. Not that Avatar has two E's. But, it's served New Orleans Square well all these years.

Diagon Alley, Mysterious Island, Harambe... Really all of the best lands have a less is more approach.

WDW has a whole other problem though: the addition by subtraction going on. Pandora notwithstanding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom