Excitement level for Avatar opening?

How excited are you about Avatar completion & opening?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

doctornick

Depends on the breakdown. I'll take two worthy E-tickets over a smattering of C/B's any day. Not that Avatar has two E's. But, it's served New Orleans Square well all these years.

In isolation, sure, but if you have that as a general principle, you end up with something like DHS with quality headliners and very little to balance it out and fill a day. A park needs a good mix overall and, in particular for DHS and DAK, they would benefit more from multiple C-tickets than one or two E-tickets.

IOW, I think the needs of the overall park have to be taken into account.

BrianLo

In isolation, sure, but if you have that as a general principle, you end up with something like DHS with quality headliners and very little to balance it out and fill a day. A park needs a good mix overall and, in particular for DHS and DAK, they would benefit more from multiple C-tickets than one or two E-tickets.

IOW, I think the needs of the overall park have to be taken into account.

DHS wishes it had two rides per land. :D

My caveat of course is if they are going to have two-land attractions, they sure as heck better have more than a small handful of lands. A good foundation is the priority. DAK has the trails going for it, five flat rides won't change my opinion of DHS.

PorterRedkey

I'm keeping my expectations at meh until I see it person. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
I am a big fan of underestimation, that way you don't over-hype the ride and your expectations don't become unreasonable.

So, I am checking my excitement for the rides, but I have no doubts the land will be one of the most beautiful lands Disney has created.

Edited for the love of the English language.

Last edited:

bunnyman

I missed the voting, but personally not overly excited. When they announced this in 2011, that was before they purchased Lucasfilm, and was in defensive reaction to Universal announcing Harry Potter world. At the time of the announcement, it was only a few years since the movie came out, but now the movie is about 7 years old. It was a very visually appealing film given the early use of HD, but its not exactly a movie that gets watched over and over again. By the time it opens, the Avatar sequel will still be at least a year away, and it has no guarantee to be a box office success. Just look at Disney's Alice in Wonderland; the original did more than $1 billion worldwide in 2010, and the sequel this year hasn't passed $300 million worldwide.

Daveeeeed

I missed the voting, but personally not overly excited. When they announced this in 2011, that was before they purchased Lucasfilm, and was in defensive reaction to Universal announcing Harry Potter world. At the time of the announcement, it was only a few years since the movie came out, but now the movie is about 7 years old. It was a very visually appealing film given the early use of HD, but its not exactly a movie that gets watched over and over again. By the time it opens, the Avatar sequel will still be at least a year away, and it has no guarantee to be a box office success. Just look at Disney's Alice in Wonderland; the original did more than $1 billion worldwide in 2010, and the sequel this year hasn't passed $300 million worldwide.
That's because both Alice movies were bad. The most important thing is that it's a good land, Tokyo is making an Alice in Wonderland mini land. The recognition and execution will determine if the land is a success in the long run. Having the Avatar movies do good will help, but it won't make or break the land.

gorillaball

What the movies did financially, how long it has been since the movies came out and how long until the sequels are released don't have any impact whatsoever on my excitement level for the opening of this land.

I'm excited for it to open but cautious as to the biggest unknowns, will the two attractions deliver. Guarded optimism and we will all just have to see when the day comes.

brb1006

That's because both Alice movies were bad. The most important thing is that it's a good land, Tokyo is making an Alice in Wonderland mini land. The recognition and execution will determine if the land is a success in the long run. Having the Avatar movies do good will help, but it won't make or break the land.
Didn't Tokyo cancel the Alice section?

Daveeeeed

Didn't Tokyo cancel the Alice section?
I don't think it was canceled, just undecided. If it happens it will probably happen a few few after Beauty & Frozen open, but I don't think it will anymore now that they're adding a theater where IASW was supposed to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom