News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

gerarar

Premium Member
It's probably safe to say the pyro launcher on top of the American Gardens theater is retired and probably never coming back after the roof fire last year.

At the end of the When She Loved Me / Remember Me duet, a single perimeter comet launches from the back of the theater along the lagoon wall. This would normally been the moment to launch it from the theater's roof.
Screenshot_20231205_215900_YouTube.jpg

ToTBellHop

It’s clear they believe, from recent projects, that guests cannot understand story unless it is stated explicitly. So, it is read to us. I actually think the story progression is great for Epcot since it’s rather universal. But, put the dialogue on the guidemap and/or little plaques around the lagoon if you are worried people are too dumb to understand it. Will it still need to be stated in 2 years?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I'm gonna be honest with you for a second and I know some will disagree but I have a feeling many people would have not liked Illuminations if it came out today. I could see it now. "So boring!" "Harmonious was more energetic!"
Illuminations was the product of a previous generation. IP, social media, and iPhones weren’t driving factors in making relevant entertainment.

Mander

In the Parks
No
Nothing was ever going to be Illuminations for me but I think this show does more right than it does wrong. I also don't think we could get better for Epcot with current leadership.

We were there in person (really lucked into the timing of our trip):

-Loved the narrator and preshow music.
-Liked the original songs, favorite parts of the show for sure.
-The beginning of the show with the welcome and incorporating the countries was great.
-It looks great, from the fireworks and lights/fountains. Love that it is not another projection heavy show.
-Love the use of SSE and the countries again later in the show.
-The "friend" section definitely felt the most out of place but the rest seems to do what I thought Harmonious would do. It's honestly fine, I did tear up at the when she loved me/remember me bit.

Definitely a show I would stay to watch, which I didn't do for Harm/EF. Still not Illuminations but that is such a high bar and I don't think they'll hit it if they have to use IP. I would love to see an updated ROE with this tech though!

cmarten

Bones of a great show are there. I think modifications need to be done. ie changing out Friend like Me; a stronger finale; and cut some narration.

As much as the IP doesn’t fit in the park, it’s the direction Disney has chosen sadly and there’s nothing to stop it. Do I think this is the show that will be playing before the 50th in 9 years…absolutely not. But it should last longer than Harm

Disone

I think honestly I was glad to see Harmonious go, Harm was meh.
But I think Luminous, given what I've heard (so far) from folks here on the forums and on X, may be a worthwhile successor to IROE. Looking forward to seeing it on NYE at 6:30pm (before hopping back to MK to see FITS). Though I can agree Friend Like Me may be better off not in the show.
Side note: You can watch Fits on December 30th. And then New Year's Eve at Epcot December 31st. If you only have December 31st then do Epcot. You are so much closer to the explosions of the finale at Epcot that it genuinely feels overwhelming and far more powerful than anything the magic kingdom can produce even with its perimeter fireworks.

People ask me all the time which they should see on either New Year's Eve or 4th of July, Epcot or Magic Kingdom? Answer is very easily, Epcot.

fgmnt

It’s clear they believe, from recent projects, that guests cannot understand story unless it is stated explicitly. So, it is read to us. I actually think the story progression is great for Epcot since it’s rather universal. But, put the dialogue on the guidemap and/or little plaques around the lagoon if you are worried people are too dumb to understand it. Will it still need to be stated in 2 years?
This was the implication I got from the extensive narration. Every other CEO before Bob the Elder treated the parks as the crown jewel of the company but once Eisner's influence withered under financial failures of big swings in Paris and DAK, Burbank has displayed a lack of respect and at times contempt for the median park guest.

DisneyFanatic12

First thoughts. Love the intro and finale.

I also can't get over the heart-formed pyro effects in the finale. There are 6 of them, and they go off every beat of the song. And they're viewable all from around the lagoon. It's mwah! Chef's kiss!
View attachment 757736
View attachment 757737

At a first glance, I like the different pyro uses throughout the show. Bravo to the pyro team! We don't have the weird moving arms anymore (aka Harmonious), but we have a ton more barges and they produce some pretty spectacle things.

Really need to see this in person just for the fireworks themselves (imo). Haven't seen an Epcot fireworks show in person since 2020 with Harmonious. Completely skipped the park at night on my recent Sept 2023 trip because Epcot Forever wasn't something to desire.
That part really stood out to me as well. Seen some cool and unique pyro over seas but the hearts were pretty great, especially for a domestic show. The one thing that felt off to me was the finale. I think there are plenty areal fireworks, or at least enough that the finale felt full enough on that front. The firework choice for the fireworks closer to the ground felt odd though. I feel as though a firework that covered more area or least broke into several would make the finale feel more whole. I’m not well versed in firework terminology, but the small fireworks that launch from the rooftops right after the finale of HEA, or a similar firework, could add to the finale.

jrhwdw

I'm gonna be honest with you for a second and I know some will disagree but I have a feeling many people would have not liked Illuminations if it came out today. I could see it now. "So boring!" "Harmonious was more energetic!"
Yeah...I saw something like that in RTV1's chat..."Harm made every Clap, Sing and Dance!"

ROE did none of that and yet it lasted for 20 years, Go figure.

James Alucobond

I think the narration is necessary because they're utilizing existing songs outside of their original context. Without the narration, it's just a songbook because it's being made to fit. They kind of have to be explicit about the birth > family > friends > love > loss > new connection arc.

gerarar

Premium Member
That part really stood out to me as well. Seen some cool and unique pyro over seas but the hearts were pretty great, especially for a domestic show. The one thing that felt off to me was the finale. I think there are plenty areal fireworks, or at least enough that the finale felt full enough on that front. The firework choice for the fireworks closer to the ground felt odd though. I feel as though a firework that covered more area or least broke into several would make the finale feel more whole. I’m not well versed in firework terminology, but the small fireworks that launch from the rooftops right after the finale of HEA, or a similar firework, could add to the finale.
Yeah the actual finale end-note could use more crackles. Epcot Forever had them, so Luminous could use them as well. Useful as it also adds noise.

Maybe add some perimeters too. Harmonious had them for its respective finale.

UNCgolf

Probably? What percentage of Disney visitors actually visit more than once in a 2 year period? Seems like it would be significantly less than 50% of guests.

jrhwdw

Was Fire planned for Luminous and now on hold because of DL's F!, Steve?

Also, your thoughts on Luminous? Now that it played for Public tonight.

DisneyFanatic12

Side note: You can watch Fits on December 30th. And then New Year's Eve at Epcot December 31st. If you only have December 31st then do Epcot. You are so much closer to the explosions of the finale at Epcot that it genuinely feels overwhelming and far more powerful than anything the magic kingdom can produce even with its perimeter fireworks.

People ask me all the time which they should see on either New Year's Eve or 4th of July, Epcot or Magic Kingdom? Answer is very easily, Epcot.
Magic Kingdom has some great shows, but you can’t beat the feeling of the ground shaking under you at Epcot!

Mikomike12

Always feel like I’m on the opposing side as everyone else, absolutely loved Harmonius, felt like this had less to do with epcot than Harmonius did, and was one slow song after the other, with repetitive lighting and pyro, weird pacing and odd remixes of normally good songs, abrupt narration felt like it was trying so hard to tell us how to feel instead of actually making me feel something, the multilingual singing just abruptly stopping after one song? Odd choices

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom