News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
๐Ÿ“ธ: @bioreconstruct
20231205_232137.jpg

Mikey73181

Yeah the actual finale end-note could use more crackles. Epcot Forever had them, so Luminous could use them as well. Useful as it also adds noise.

Maybe add some perimeters too. Harmonious had them for its respective finale.
My favorite part of Harmonious was the perimeters near the end one after another. Wish they could have worked something like that into this.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Always feel like Iโ€™m on the opposing side as everyone else, absolutely loved Harmonius, felt like this had less to do with epcot than Harmonius did, and was one slow song after the other, with repetitive lighting and pyro, weird pacing and odd remixes of normally good songs, abrupt narration felt like it was trying so hard to tell us how to feel instead of actually making me feel something, the multilingual singing just abruptly stopping after one song? Odd choices
The Harmonious theme and music grew on me over time but there were too many visual issues for the show to continue. The music is still available and that's all I personally care to hold on to.

jrhwdw

Most of the negative comments are from folks lamenting that it's not Illuminations. Some said it's unlikely they'll enjoy it in person, and viewing with such mindset going in creates an uphill climb making it difficult to ever enjoy anything but an updated Illuminations.
And the other side saying Harm was better......

Luminous is more Gentle than Harm and Gentle might work better in WSL

Would be interesting to know if GR had a line tonight...Not that there should be one.........

I just watched it on YouTube. I'm an Illuminations die-hard. But I was ok with this one.

Like many others have said, the "play" section was very similar to HEA and was totally out of place.

Also, is anyone else annoyed by the change in rhythm to "I See The Light" from how it was sung in the movie? They did the same thing in HEA and it happened again in Luminous. It makes me cringe.

The beginning and ending were strong, but not coming close to the sheer wonder of RoE. Better than Harmonious. Better than EF.

Ideal lifespan: 5-7 years. Actual lifespan: 15-20 years.

IanDLBZF

Most of the negative comments are from folks lamenting that it's not Illuminations. Some said it's unlikely they'll enjoy it in person, and viewing with such mindset going in creates an uphill climb making it difficult to ever enjoy anything but an updated Illuminations.
And perhaps the "Epcot Purists" in the room have something to say?

flynnibus

Premium Member
watching the stream...

Seemed like the correction they really needed. Hit all the points for me, except maybe a big moving emotional hook.

• I liked the narrative they took about people and getting together. Feels far more earthed than many loofy things of late.
  • The recognizable songs were not mangled.
  • The show tech is impressive, but didn't come across as "technology demo" that was pointless.
  • The stage tech obviously incorporates the expectation we have about the Showcase lagoon given the decades of history. Yeah for embracing that
  • The sequence leading up to the finale was cool
  • I guess the runtime is a happy balance... long but not too long

Now.. it didn't give me a wow punch in my first showing. The shows like HEA left me like "that is a great Disney show..." being a culmination of prior baby steps forward. This didn't feel "amazing" but it also didn't feel bad in anyway. I don't know what was 'missing' per say, but I didn't get the emotional hook.. maybe it will come with some repeats. But it did feel on point for a Disney marquee show. And it didn't make me bored... it didn't turn me off with ughh moments.. like some of the other recent duds like Harmonius and RoL did.

Squishy

Show feels like something I would watch while eating food, could be a win for them if EF & Harmonious were failing to draw restaurant crowds.

Ayla

I never saw Illuminations, or any firework show at Epcot, before this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom