Epcot International Festival of the Arts coming in January 2017

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can we cross tab the folks complaining about festivals with those who complain that Epcot lost its vision of being a World's Fair? 'Cause it seems those two things would go hand in hand.

Now, can we grouse about how they go about the festivals? Yes. We can. Too many of the booths are shoehorned into spaces they don't fit. And I'm not going to eat on top of a garbage can anymore, nor in the broiling sun. You want year-round festivals, World Showcase? Then set up nice permanent booths in logical places with enough covered areas in which to eat.

The artists on display for the festivals appear to be the same artists on display year round all over WDW. Unless you follow certain blogs, you'd never know they were there. So, it's at least nice that they are getting the showcasing they need.

Broadway tunes? Count me in. But Epcot needs more theaters so that all the entertainment isn't outdoors. A few of the undeveloped lands could be turned into theaters, not only for this festival, but for year-round performances.

JoeCamel

Sounds like the white booth traveling craft shows we get along the coasts to fleece the snowbirds while they are here. Makes the small crafter some coin and gets the bird some kitch for their walls/tables

trampdog

F&W has become ...., there is no way I will return next year. Sad, because I have been to every one. I was so put off by it this year with the substandard food, lousy beer, and hordes of people looking at their cell phones as they try to shimmy around the circle, that I'll spend my EPCOT days next fall in another park or maybe even (gag) Universal.

Bring EPCOT back to the glory years of when it firstopened. Have parades instead of the festivals, have unique merchandise instead of reconstituted Chinese made garbage with a logo to match the Country you are standing in, redo the circlevision movies to be a 4D experience (not very expensive to do), add more street entertainers, and make the Countries run their own land (or get out), Let's bring back educational future world rides that waste twenty minutes of your time so it keeps the crowds spread out. EPCOT doesn't have to be another thrill ride location. People will go because they are in DW.

LET'S MAKE EPCOT GREAT AGAIN! #MEGA

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sounds like the white booth traveling craft shows we get along the coasts to fleece the snowbirds while they are here. Makes the small crafter some coin and gets the bird some kitch for their walls/tables

It's more like the art you can find in the Disney art stores. These are artists who've worked with Disney or have a big following and are known for creating Disney-ish artwork. The only difference between the art store and the festival is that you get to meet the artist.

zengoth

Festival of the Masters was always looked forward to in my house - and more important - it was free. Now one needs to drop a "cover charge" in order to get into Epcot just to go shopping. Very sad. (Yes, I know, World Showcase is just a mall anyway to a lot of people)

In reality, I doubt many of the artisans who participated in Festival of the Masters will be involved in the EIFA. If Disney is just cleaning out the various "Art of Disney" warehouses (including the one we lost in the Studios), it's doubtful it will to be that unique.

csmat99

The whole park could see changes.
I apologize if I missed it but my understanding was any changes in world showcase would be similar to frozen. Taking an existing thing and changing it not adding a new ride or new country. I hope I'm wrong because Epcot needs new countries not new food carts. I could just back to my Temple and get food carts. :)

VJ

Just talking a little informal where by you're taking my reference of "love" too literal. I'll rephrase by saying reports indicate that Epcot will be getting attention for improvements.
Ah, apologies. I tend to take things the wrong way sometimes.

HiYa Pal

I think if they would just finally spread F&W to the entire park instead of just 2 or 3 booths outside of WS it would make that Festival MUCH more bearable, there's plenty of open space in FW East and West to move 4 or so country kiosks out of WS to either side, just spreading out that much over the entire park would ease a ton of the congestion and terribleness that is WS during F&W. I've still never understood why the "Festival Center" is located almost half a mile from the nearest kiosk. But back to topic, I cannot wait for more information about this Festival!!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The whole park could see changes.

[/SARC]
Beginning with the installation with the installation of the world largest continuous bar counter, which will encompass the entire circumference of WS and include Roman vomitoriums (yes there IS such a thing to allow drunken patrons to relieve themselves neatly), As to the bar top itsalf each country will have their section made from wood products native to that country...
[/SARCOFF]

Just pitiful really, I can remember a time when EPCOT amazed, now it simply exists to mine cash.

jakeman

[/SARC]
Beginning with the installation with the installation of the world largest continuous bar counter, which will encompass the entire circumference of WS and include Roman vomitoriums (yes there IS such a thing to allow drunken patrons to relieve themselves neatly), As to the bar top itsalf each country will have their section made from wood products native to that country...
[/SARCOFF]

Just pitiful really, I can remember a time when EPCOT amazed, now it simply exists to mine cash.
A vomitorium is a Latin term for for an exit.

http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/vomitoriums-fact-or-fiction

ToTBellHop

Somebody tell me again why Disney adding cultural experiences to Epcot is a bad thing?
I don't get it either. I think this is cool. Obviously the park itself has major issues, but this particular event sounds classy, educational, and entertaining. While the complaints about the kiosks clogging up World Showcase hold merit, they are hear to stay. At least this festival is something novel.

I can't wait to see Broadway performances (for real) in the park. They used to do this in days of yore. I remember seeing an abbreviated STOMP at Epcot probably 10 or 11 years back.

JohnD

Somebody tell me again why Disney adding cultural experiences to Epcot is a bad thing?

The points being made are not the subject of the festival itself but the year-round festivals, either extending (F&G, F&W) or adding (FOTA). If every day is special, no day is special. Clearly, it's to get added revenue to Epcot because there aren't enough attractions.

Speaking for myself, I enjoy the festivals for what they are when I'm there but do get the point that the year round festivals are becoming if not already overkill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom