News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

PREMiERdrum

I'm thinking this is a classic case of Mickey Views reporting something two concepts ago, just like he did with Magic Kingdom
I'm guessing here, but it seems like he's getting passed partial info without context. The blanks he's filling in are where he's so very wrong.

FWIW, this art isn't terribly old. But it's clear the figures were intentionally obscured for the most part, as that work was still underway.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And his info isn't coming from anyone in WDI. (Nor is mine)
1713500870575.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The current art direction has the figures of this carousel taking on the Mexican folk art styles seen in Coco. While I believe there might be an easter egg or outside character representation or two, identifying this as a generic "IP Carousel" is completely out of sync with what I've seen and heard on the project.
Maybe... alebrije-ified versions of Disney IP animals!

LSLS

I can't imagine this is true. I know we joke about theming, but there's no way they go that far out here. I'd be happy if it's much more generic and not associated with Coco (I just don't think it fits, and I don't think it's needed if Coco is going in at MK), but I can't imagine they are going to put random IP on a carousal here. I'm hoping they realize how much they need to knock it out of the park with how much skepticism there is at this point by the die hard fans.

Phicinfan

I initially rolled my eyes at this, but I gave it some more thought and decided that a carousel composed entirely of animals from various Disney movies isn't in of itself a bad idea... I mean, it's not a GREAT idea, but I don't hate it...

...but why is it in this new "Tropical Americas" land? The Lion King and Finding Nemo don't take place in the Tropical Americas.
I thought this was going to have the "spirit" animals from Coco? Wasn't that the assumption?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Maybe... alebrije-ified versions of Disney IP animals!
I feel like this would be a fun way to take it, adding not only an element of interactivity with a "Who is this?" find and seek aspect, but also a way for Disney to provide more merch opportunities. "Dumbo is my spirit animal, so I'm going to buy this trippy dayglow plushee of him." The very theory makes it seem all the more likely.

Untitled-4.png

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Random Disney characters perhaps would have worked in the Zootopia/Moana hodgepodge land but thankfully the land they are actually developing has more creative vision behind it than that mess did.

If we can escape the Zootopia obsession with JUST a 3D show, I’ll count my blessings. I like the movie but it doesn’t seem to translate well into a ride.

As for the incredulity over the Coco craze, it was added to PhilharMagic and is featured twice in Luminous. Miguel is clearly the company golden boy right now.

Sir_Cliff

To be honest, none of the proposals for the carousel so far particularly offend me and I think they could all work ok. If the theme is a fair in a small Central American town, even a carousel with Disney animal characters strangely reads as "authentic".

I think I prefer the ideas of a Coco-inspired twist, such as alebrijes or Disney animal characters styled as alebrijes. If they had some reason for keeping Coco in MK, though, and just including a few animal characters like Dante from Coco here, though, I don't think it would be a thematic outrage.

Advisable Joseph

As for the incredulity over the Coco craze,
Check out the trending list of Disney+ after DΓ­a de Muertos through the end of the year.;)
If we can escape the Zootopia obsession with JUST a 3D show, I’ll count my blessings. I like the movie but it doesn’t seem to translate well into a ride.
Zooopia is far more popular in the US than this forum belives, as evidenced by the polling that led to the Zootopia-themed busses, and reading between the lines from Iger's comments and crowd behavior at Shanghai, the guests disagree with you. Guests also love Runaway Railway, looking at Yelp. 4.5 stars out of 5.

Bocabear

Check out the trending list of Disney+ after DΓ­a de Muertos through the end of the year.;)

Zooopia is far more popular in the US than this forum believes, as evidenced by the polling that led to the Zootopia-themed busses, and reading between the lines from Iger's comments and crowd behavior at Shanghai, the guests disagree with you. Guests also love Runaway Railway, looking at Yelp. 4.5 stars out of 5.
Yeah, but YELP also rates Subway and Applebees very highly... Yelp reviews are not really very accurate...

Sir_Cliff

Yes, I feel like Coco is very much one of those films that was not only successful in its original release but has gone on to become quite beloved by a lot of people which is generally what makes a classic.

Zooopia is far more popular in the US than this forum belives, as evidenced by the polling that led to the Zootopia-themed busses, and reading between the lines from Iger's comments and crowd behavior at Shanghai, the guests disagree with you. Guests also love Runaway Railway, looking at Yelp. 4.5 stars out of 5.
I was always surprised that Disney was as coy as they were about promoting Zootopia in the US given its success. It seems the film came out, was a smash hit, and then there was almost no merchandise, only the odd character appearing in a parade or cavalcade here and there, and certainly no talk of attractions. It seemed part of a general trend of Disney not being very agile in capitalising on their hits like this or Moana.

That said, I am very glad they have not gone with a Zootopia land at DAK and really hope they restrict it to a film in Tree of Life. I'm not thrilled with that inclusion, but I guess they could use it to educate about different habitats and how animals evolve to live in different environments... or something like that!

PREMiERdrum

It seemed part of a general trend of Disney not being very agile in capitalising on their hits like this or Moana.
Often lost in discussions of Disney's stagnation over the last decade or so is this fact... their growth eras have been fueled not by investment alone but by an ability to quickly react and adjust. These changes - even when small - added a dynamic of freshness to the park... often with characters from films yet-to-be-released being featured in launch parades, etc. Multi-planar strategies like this create circular growth: park activities and consumer products (Happy Meal toys!) supporting the success of the film, which then drives people back to the parks and shops.

Now, they spend 3 years teasing Blue Sky versions of what they're thinking of before finally sharing a concept, with several years left to value engineer and build it before finally opening.

Meanwhile our "new" parade is 10 years old and running as a gutted shell of what it once was.

ToTBellHop

I love MMRR and don’t deny Zootopia is popular. The ride looks like trash but I guess I’d be happy to ride it and successfully not get run over.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I feel like this would be a fun way to take it, adding not only an element of interactivity with a "Who is this?" find and seek aspect, but also a way for Disney to provide more merch opportunities. "Dumbo is my spirit animal, so I'm going to buy this trippy dayglow plushee of him." The very theory makes it seem all the more likely.

View attachment 780303
That's going in next to the AK Dispensary (Opening 2027).

invader

Any chance this carousel uses an updated design like this?

Any chance this carousel uses an updated design like this?

The only way I could possibly be excited (though even that's not the right word) about a carousel is if it uses this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom