News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Suspirian

I feel like they should make all the figures mega-janky like Fichwa Fellow for maximum immersion.
I literally came here to say thats what I think they’re going for. I don’t think they’ll look janky but the idea is tongue-in-cheek “unlicensed” Disney characters within the context of whatever fictional country the land is supposed to take place in.

I still think its a bit foolish. You cant even make a flat ride without IP?

McMickeyWorld

It's a curious concept xdddddd It's a bit obscure, but it could be likened to the typical bootleg fairground attractions. I don't think it is, but I guess it could be. Xddddd
images (15).jpeg

McMickeyWorld

A mismash of IP on a Carousel just doesn't make sense for Tropical Americas, but I guess I need to stop telling myself that Disney cares what makes sense at this point
I'm not too keen on the execution, but I don't feel it's so distant. We don't have the final complete design yet, but they could justify it with the idea of it representing a fair related to some celebration, not very different from all the ones commonly found here in Latin America. It doesn't bother me, but if they go in this direction, it feels weird that it's just a single carousel IP and there's nothing else to reinforce the idea. In a way, I feel that such an unconventional concept reminds me a bit of Joe Rohde's work.

discos

This is the same guy who said Radiator Springs Racers and a Woody-themed attraction was going in the BBTM area right? There's a solid chance the sources he has are either wrong or leading him astray. None of these rumors make a lot of sense.
Either leading him astray or feeding him old concepts/ideas to try and figure out who in Imagineering is leaking stuff. Happened with the site that shall not be named and that Toy Story Marionette show for CBJ.

doctornick

I dunno, I think the carousel would work better in Discovery Island. Maybe have the characters designed to match the artwork around the land.
This. It’s not a bad idea but should be in a “neutral” location.

As an aside I often thought a double decker carousel (like the one in Tokyo) would work well in DAK with flying animals on the top level and land animals in the bottom.

McMickeyWorld

I don't know if it's because of my roots and how much I love Latin cultures, but I think that despite being just a retheme, from its initial idea in the bluesky for Magic Kingdom, I love it. It's one of my favorite projects that Disney has developed. It has so much potential and can go in so many different concepts. 😻🥹

PREMiERdrum

I'm back home and able to elaborate further.

You'll notice that I've always said this attraction was "Coco-inspired." The dark ride is Encanto. The Dinosaur retheme is Indy. But this carousel is Coco-inspired.

The current art direction has the figures of this carousel taking on the Mexican folk art styles seen in Coco. While I believe there might be an easter egg or outside character representation or two, identifying this as a generic "IP Carousel" is completely out of sync with what I've seen and heard on the project.

The setting, while a bit amalgamous, is a vibrant, Central American village. The presentation of this attraction will clearly delineate from the visual styling of Coco, and I expect a direct, thematic tie in between the film and the carousel somewhere along the way.

The Coco-inspiration of this carousel is in no way - at this point - impacting the Coco E-ticket for BBTM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom